1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Great Mental Images

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by KenderCleric, Jul 2, 2007.

1. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

I was looking in the For Review section in hopes of finding something worth rotting my brain on when I found the entry for Not a Gryffindor Fight by SFD - T posted by yojorocks. In his review there was one line that inspired a great mental image...

Instantly I got the image of Harry as Batman and Griphook as the Boy-wonder beside him. I laughed my ass off.

This isn't the first time that a fanfiction story and/or review has given a mental image worth a laugh or three. In a discussion about Crazy1's SG1/HP fic a comment was made about the battle in the Chamber of Secrets which lead to me having a mental image of the whole thing happening around a Goa'uld cargo ship. Again, I laughed my ass off.

So have there been any moments like this for anyone else? Any fics or reviews that conjured up great mental images that made you laugh?

2. Dark Magic

Dark Magic Denarii Host

Once I was reading one of those cliche fics with a GoblinFriend! Harry who was adopted by someone other than the Dursleys.

I immediately thought of a Goblin raised Harry Potter.

How funny would that be? Imagine a Harry Potter coming into Hogwarts knowing everything there is to know about money. He would rip off all of the students and maybe even some teachers.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Great thread.

I think most fics start with a great mental image, and then the rest follows.

For example, my fic Turncoat was inspired by a single scene: that of the scene in HBP where Snape kills Dumbledore, except with Harry in Snape's place. From there the rest of the story just grew.

As for humourous mental images, I was given one by a poster of the Mugglenet forums (shocking, I know). Basically, it was Dumbledore trying to talk out a load of Dementors from Kissing him in the same way he talked Malfoy out of killing him in HBP.

4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    LOL killer Taure, killer.

I'm surprised that I haven't found any Sabrina The Teenage Witch Harry Potter crossover's, even if they were for humor. I guess it would be too difficult to keep people from vomiting. Everytime that I read an emo!Harry that's what I think of.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I generally remember fics by the mental images they give me - like Browncoat, Green Eyes gave me a great image of Squiggy (The demon impression Harry gives, though I don't know if I got the name right), and the little omake type thing I came up with ages ago in the magical gems thread... The one with the super-dooper Avada Kedavra :D.

Aekiel