1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Green Mage's Light by Belcris - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by BloodRedSword, Aug 25, 2010.

1. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Title: Green Mage's Light
    Author: Belcris
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure
    DLP Category: General/AU
    Pairing: Harry/Arisia
    Status: [Complete, Work in Progress, Oneshot, or Abandoned]
    Summary: The battle is over for Harry Potter, but not the war. An unwanted gift becomes the key Harry needs to unlock his future. With new powers and a desire to protect the people he loves, Harry will become something beyond imagination.
    Link: Green Mage's Light

Hmm... I like this fic, maybe because it's only readable HP/GL crossover I have found.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  2. Rumbleroar

Rumbleroar Seventh Year

Your link goes directly to Chapter 3... gave me a headache til I realized.

Best to see that fixed.

3. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Gah, a premature submission.

I've been following this since Ch. 2 was released and generally enjoyed reading it. That said, if I was forced to rate it now I would give it three stars, since it truly hasn't stood out one way or another to me. However, depending on the direction the author takes, I could easily imagine giving this four or two stars.

I'll probably officially rate this thread whenever Ch. 4 gets released.

4. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I liked the beginning and chapter 2 was ok, maybe a bit patronizing, but the last chapter got too corny and I fear for the story if it continues that path.

5. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Semi-decent and not very memorable. 3/5

6. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I liked it myself. I'm going to wait on rating it though. But it's pretty decent so far.

7. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I have to give this fic a 2/5. The Guardians seem insanely underpowered in almost all of their appearances, and
    given that the combined force of all the guardians is enough to make Superman pause, Harry breaking out of their control without so much as a by-your-leave is more than a little ridiculous, even factoring in the so-called "Prime Ring".

Also, interplanetary portkeys? Really?

8. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

... You have to be kidding me

1/5

9. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

One more thing I forgot: where are the other Corps? There's one for every color and shade (including black and white), so where'd they go? It's not like Doctor Strange pulled a disappearing act on them.

Red lanterns get their power from rage,
    orange lanterns from greed,
    yellow lanterns from their fear,
    green lanterns from willpower,
    blue lanterns from hope,
    indigo tribe from compassion,
    star sapphires from love,
    black lanterns from death,
    and white lanterns are a balance of all of the above, save black.

so where the fuck are they?

10. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

That stuff is all recent, and best left in the dustbin of DC's newly found obsession with megacrossovers events.

11. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

First chapter was decent, and worth having on story alert. Then the second chapter was released, and it wasn't worth reading.

12. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

Harry is mega powerful. No chance for dramatic tension when nothing can really challenge him.

13. Cannonfodder

Cannonfodder First Year

This shits all over HP and the Green Lantern. 1/5

Honestly, the comic book geek in me wants to punch the author in the face. Harry Potter gets a power ring. How is this supposed to be a good plan for a plot, I have no idea. Then it becomes apparent that the author clearly has only watched the Justice League cartoon and maybe the Green Lantern wikipedia article. I seriously can't believe this is even in For Review, it doesn't even make the cut for recycling bin.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  14. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Yes really. Don't tell me you didn't read nonjon's Brown coat, Green eyes? (Shakes head in shame.)

2/5 on the fic. Questionable situations give rise to doubts on where it can go, plus odd execution merging of both worlds; just too much not accounted for.

15. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

This made me bash my head against a table. First of all, Harry is characterized poorly. Secondly, 'Prime Ring'? Really? Third, I want to kill Abin Sur's little cum bucket of an 'apprentice'. Fourth, the Guardians are characterized poorly, and they are poorly thought out. Fifth, the author really is an arrogant little shit if he thinks that I want to hear him aggrandize himself for a few paragraphs at the beginning of the chapter.

All in all, I rate this on par with Kinsfire. -1/5.

16. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

I don't know. I bet a Harry Potter GL crossover could work. Just not really this one.

17. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The above is indicative of the little messages the author writes before each chapter.

Yeah, no.

FUCK, no, in fact.

The author is clearly a pretentious douche, who probably wears a mauve lounge robe and slippers around his house because he can.

I didn't actually read this story, because the few paragraphs before the story even began pissed me off so badly that I knew I wouldn't enjoy it at all.

0/5 Die in a fire.

18. Alatoic01

Alatoic01 Squib

I try to read it, the sotry is just horrible, Harry become better with the ring than veteran GL, the idea of a Prime ring is just silly. it dont have the yellow defect, ok in the comics that defect can be overcome once the GL learn, accept and defeat his/her fears but this ring it appear as the all powerful ring that have not defect and also appear Harry can control it with out knowing why.

Also he just see a freaking alien!! and did not even flinch, not to mention the existence of life (a lot of life) in the universe.

will not even mention how the guardians are being presented, the author think they are just a bunch of really old aliens who happen to invent a ring with powers but don't really understand anything abut how they work and treat anyone who disobey with violence and scorn (sure they are obnoxious, but sure as hell are wise and have vast knowledge... they don't share it because they believe the others races are not mature yet).

I don't believe a crossover with GL is possible as that is just to much power in one side, after all the ring is just the most powerful weapon in the universe and to make it work in the HP universe will be need it to be downplayed, bu will be interesting to see if someone can pull it out.

any way as a prover say "The taste is broken in genres" (el gusto se rompe en géneros).

MAC

---------- Post automerged at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

I mean to write story not "sotry", sorry for the mistake (and any other I have possible made) :(

19. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

At least run this through a spell checker, even if you're not a native English speaker. Make the effort to correct your writing and grammar.

For the story, the idiotic third person narration of the author is damn annoying. He's copying Bobmin's style, writing idiotic author's rants, (answering his critics and pretending he is cool) disguised as mini stories at the start of every chapter.

The truth is, aside from the crappy plot, that rant he starts at the beginning turns off most readers.

20. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Oh, is that faggotry from Bobmin? I forgot how much that asshole needs a punch in the kidney.

God damn, that is the most annoying shit I have ever run across in fanfiction, and that is saying something.