1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Gryffindor Girls Character Development

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by RDavidson, May 26, 2017.

1. RDavidson

RDavidson Disappeared

High Score:
    Since the canon is written so much from Harry's POV, we see very little of the girls in Gryffindor beyond Hermione and Ginny. I'm looking for some good fics that work with the little bit of characterization they have in the canon and develop from that, particularly letting them be heroes (perhaps not on the same scale that Harry is, but they're still Gryffindors, after all).

Thanks!

2. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Believe me when I say that if there was any "good" fic featuring well-developed Gryffindor girls, it'd probably have been on DLP somewhere. As it stands, there is a rather conspicuous absence of fics featuring any of the Gryffindor girls you'd like. Most fics are focused on the more popular characters such as Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Cho, Neville, Parvati, Luna, Padma, etc.

If you're really desperate for such a fic, have fun wading through 700k+ fics on ff.net.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't know of any offhand to recommend. I know I've read one - maybe even on DLP - where Katie and Harry were good friends. Can't find it quickly though.

Might give Scryer a go:
    https://scryer.darklordpotter.net/

If I were looking for that kind of fic I'd probably fill in the 'required characters' tag with one of the rarely used Gryffindor girls, a minimum word count of 15k or so, and go from there.

Example:

Fandom - Harry Potter
    Required Characters - Parvati P.
    Exclude Category - Romance (partly b/c I hate romance, but partly because if you want a fic actually focusing on Parvati you want to weed out the ones where she's just listed as a character because of a pairing)
    Wordcount Minimum - 15000

See if it finds you anything for her or Lavender or Katie or whoever else you're looking into as having a large role in the fic.

If you get too many fics that are just pairings with Harry you could try excluding him as a character, but Harry Potter fic without Harry rarely goes well.

If you still aren't finding anything then maybe list two of the Gryffindor girls as characters to find stories that tag both of them.

...but yeah, that's a lot of work to try and find a very specific kind of fic. You're better off asking for recs from someone who has read it already, and I haven't.

Don't really want to either, but I can see the appeal of it.

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The best story I know of with Katie in any capacity is sadly never going to be finished, I think - the author used to post here, haven't seen him around in a bit though. It sucks, but it happens.

Harry Potter and the Unlocked Knowledge, by kmfrank.