1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry continues DA in Sixth year

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Vulcan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

Looking for the stories with Harry Potter continuing DA in his Sixth year

P.S. I always thought it makes no sense he didn't continue the club in canon; Harry has no trust for Snape's teaching skills).

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I would imagine the reason they don't continue it at this point is one, reasons*, and two because there was no need for a counter-culture movement. I seriously doubt that Snape would have abided the club continuing, nor would Dumbledore allowed it.

And from what I remember as well, Harry spent a lot of time with Dumbledore for his "lessons" on Riddle, and other things.

I can't rightly recall any stories off hand where its continued in the next year, HBP didn't really have a setting in which the club could have continued. I'd just start looking for AUs, or Post OOtP fics that do Sixth Year onward.

Scryer might be able to help you out. I'll include a link to every fic with a certain word count post 06/21/2003, which is OOTP's publication date.

Link

3. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I vaguely recall that Semprini's Veil of Mistery had Harry not exactly continuing the DA, but actually becoming the DA professor. Yeah, I know, that's overshooting.

http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/semprini/

The fact that I remember this old fic probably means it has something going for it, but that thing could be outrage (was it the one where casting unforgivables gave Harry headaches and he ended up offering hugs to Slytherins and deflecting AK's with lovus shieldus?) I skimmed through the first two chapters to confirm the 6th year professorship and they didn't seem exactly compelling, so read with caution. Olden days H/G fare.

4. Polysciguy

Polysciguy Squib

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

*popping popcorn*

6. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    There is Sixth Year: The Steps Toward The End which is supposed to be decent (I'm yet to read it) but it's dead. I've also read a few fics which had DA continuing - but those weren't good, but if you want I can find them.

7. Polysciguy

Polysciguy Squib

8. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bobmin is bad.

9. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

They're also dead, iirc.

Edit:

I think so, I'm not sure.

Edit 2:
    DLP doesn't like them/him that much iirc. I could be wrong but there are some that do, and some that don't.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  10. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Wasn't it a duo?

11. Polysciguy

Polysciguy Squib

there is plenty of far worse fan fiction, and i never said they were the best, i said they were decent

12. Stan

Stan Order Member

Pretty sure every post-OotP indy!Harry fic has this. Almost all of them are awful, to be sure, but this is hardly something you to look hard to find.

Harry continues the DA in On the Way to Greatness, so that's atleast one good fic that has what you're looking for.

13. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    I read most of Bobmin's stuff when I first started reading fanfic. I thought it wasn't bad. I was also reading Kinsfire back then, thinking it wasn't bad. Bobmin is objectively better than Kinsfire, but it's still nowhere near the standard DLP generally aspires to.

When you turn Dumbledore into a scheming barman, Snape into a dungeon dwelling rapist, and Cho Chang into Snape's sex slave...you're going to get some poor feedback.

14. Polysciguy

Polysciguy Squib

true enough

and now that i think about it, isn't this topic kind of a lesser version of "harry teaches DADA in 6th year"

15. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It was, yes - Bob, and his wife Alyx used to team up to write stories that were filled with the most extreme caricatures of all the characters in the HP universe. He had some great ideas (I still re-read the Wizard's Fall stuff every once in a while), even if the execution left something to be desired amongst a community like this.

I, like you, started out with this guy and didn't think anything of it at first - along with Chem Prof, Kinsfire, OldCrow, and holy shit is this funny to think of now, how at the time I thought these things were the best thing I ever read. I left them all in my FFnet favorites anyway though, because history is important to remember and all, and we all need guilty pleasures.

Sadly, Bob did pass away quietly after somewhat recovering from lung cancer. He was a good person to trade old Navy stories with.