1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Borg by Locutus Lupin - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Magus, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Title: Harry Potter and the Borg
    Author: Locutus Lupin
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Sci-Fi
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: Harry/Ginny
    Summary: "All was well," or so Harry thought when the books were done. But only one day later a giant cube appears in front of the moon, and an alien race sends a message to the people of earth: "We are Borg. Resistance is futile." 100,000-plus hits and complete.
    Link:

So I've done some checking and was amazed to find that this wasn't already in the library. This is without a doubt the best post-canon ending story I've read. A genious narrative with an increasing sense of urgency that ends on a high note. Brilliant.

To quickly summarise, the day after dropping his kids of at Hogwarts, Harry is called away from a family visit by the arrival of a Borg cube hovering above the earth. Desperately seeking to stop the Borg invasion, Harry has to race against time and ever-increasing odds to drive off the alien invaders.

Really very little knowledge of Star Trek is required to enjoy this, as someone who's only seen the most recent film and seen a few random episodes of The Next Generation I was able to follow it all perfectly. Really the main Star Trek characters that feature are the Borg, though one or two other well-known faces do pop up later on.

As it follows on from the canon ending Harry is married to Ginny but she's a well written minor character for most of it. Don't let the pairing put you off.

I could not recommend this more to you, my fellow DLP'ers. Its completed, its great, its Harry Potter taking on the entire Borg empire. Go read.

2. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember reading this. And I remember this sucking.

3. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

The beginning didn't really attract my attention. Story isn't really that great. And SecretProgram!Hermione? No thanks. I'm rating this thing a 2.

4. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

Eh, it's not terrible. The quality of writing is decent, but while the concept is vaguely interesting it doesn't really seem to hook you, and some things just don't make sense. In particular plot points that have to do with the interaction of magic and the Borg.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  5. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

If you're worried about spoilers than just add the
    tags. It's an easy way around that problem specifically for this reason. As is, it looks like a cop out for not posting specific reasons. This review is so vague that it serves almost no purpose in deciding whether or not to read the story.

EDIT:

I didn't review because I didn't have time to to read the story yet Itziak. And the who Bobert is had nothing to do with me responding. He said he didn't give reasons because of spoilers. So I told him how to use the fucking spoiler tag. That's actually the definition of useful. Since I was already responding, I also let him know my opinion of the utility of his post. I'd of told Vir the same thing except wait, Vir knows how to use a spoiler tag and didn't use that as a copout for not posting in-depth rationale. He just didn't want to bother and everyone knew that.

Bobert, on the other used spoilers as a reason he only posted a vague review. And then when he got told how to deal with his "issue" he promptly edited his post to remove that statement. If hadn't mentioned spoilers, I wouldn't have answered him.

A little bit of reading comprehension and you could have easily understood why I replied to Bobert and not Vir or Richard.
    I suggest you work on your reading comprehension Itziak

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  6. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

@Tenages: First of all, better than the other reviews; second, posted a ?reason?.

7. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

You didn't even comment on the story itself, so I'd say shut up. You're not really one to talk at this point. Even if you're just trying to fit in by making fun of the village idiot, your post fails.

If you want a reason to dislike this story, you could try reading it.

Back on topic, this story could best be described as average. The writing in the first chapter was not very good, though it seems to have improved since, if but a little.. The plot is questionable, but somewhat interesting.

I will probably attempt to finish the story, unless the author has introduced some extremely idiotic plot points.

8. b0b3rt

b0b3rt Backtraced

Village idiot?
    thanks brah that was always my ambition in life

9. Judicator

Judicator Squib DLP Supporter

I agree, I read it about a month ago and thought it was terrible.

1/5

10. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Being a huge fan of both Star Trek and Harry Potter, I jumped on the chance to read this. I found myself pleasantly surprised, since the last such crossover I'd read was... underwhelming, to say the least. I just about dropped it at the random scene where Harry and Hermione were about to get it on after the "defeat" of the Borg, due to the sheer OOC it displayed and the fact that I thought I was almost at the end of the story (didn't check the number of chapters and thought it was 20 from the drop-down menu). I was rather shocked, however, to find out that I wasn't even halfway through the story! In the end, I thought it was true to both universes and played out well. The Matrix crossover caught me off guard, but it kinda made sense when I thought about it.

My only real beef was that Harry was the only person in all of the multiverse who could stop the Borg. The only time I felt that Harry being the Savior of the Multiverse worked was in The Hero Trilogy, and even that was a bit of a stretch. Still, it deserves as 4/5 for being a good read that took up most of an otherwise boring day.

11. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was initially excited at the prospect of this fic, but it was a serious let down. The writing quality is so-so, but the plot, the execution etc are all very poor.

Definitely would not recommend.

12. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

Harry potter v's the Borg - :facepalm

Harry Potter is Q... :awesome

13. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

If Harry Potter was Q, that'd be somewhat humorous. I liked Q in the Generations.

14. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Q could be an interesting twist...But it would have to be a crack fic, cause he'd be too powerful otherwise. Q is all powerful and all knowing, or near enough as makes no odds, and having a character like that is going to throw any fic off the rails.