1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Dark Lord by Erised Burning - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ip82, Sep 4, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Harry Potter and the Dark Lord
    Author: Erised Burning
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Drama
    Rating: M
    Chapters: 28
    Words: 263,635
    Updated: May 2, 2006
    Published: December 11, 2005

Pairings: Harry/OC, Ron/Hermione, Neville/Luna, Ginny is off the radar
    Suggested category: "Independent Harry"
    Summary: Harry gets drawn into a whirlwind adventure that leads him on a dogged pursuit of the horcruxes. Meanwhile, Ron and Hermione find themselves entangled in a bitter war against Voldemort and his forces.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2697864/1/

I was initially put off this story by Ron and Hermione getting a lot of spotlight, as well as Harry hooking up with several Marry Sue-ish characters, but once I finally got into it, this turned out to be one of better novel-length post-HBP stories out there.

Still, the quality largely oscillates throughout the book. It starts by Harry accidentally stumbling into some strange Planescape-like dimension and meeting a lot of muggle OC's with special powers. This part was rather interesting, especially near the end, when Harry's character was distanced enough from the HBP pansy we've started with.

The next part deals with the golden duo's lives back home, while Harry is away in a parallel universe. Ron grows stronger and creates a replacement for the OOTP, intent on bringing the fight back to DE's - basically, he's acting like Independent!Harry in most of the post-OOTP stories. Hermione, on the other hand, turns dark and forms a sort of a third faction. This part had some fairly interesting ideas, but honestly, I only browsed through it, seeing how I don't care one iota for neither of these two characters.

The third part is where the story really heats up. Harry, 20-something years old Tom Riddle turned light and two Marry Sue-ish OCs are stuck in an alternate universe, where Harry's parents are alive and he's dead. This part is probably the best one, reminding me a lot of the second part of Joe's Hero trilogy, only without epic shit blowing it all away.

The last part is basically extremely powerful Harry and his muggle girlfriend hooking together with Ron's resistance and going into the final battle against Hermione and Voldemort. Very good, even if it feels somewhat rushed.

The best elements of this story are non-whiny Harry's character and brilliant concept of Horcruxes coming alive and turning against their maker. I just loved the idea and characterization of rouge Tom Riddles, both the Ravenclaw evil genius and the redeemed Squib turned Harry's mentor/brother. Too bad they didn't get more of the spotlight, instead of annoying female stalkers with stupid names. Fight scenes were deliciously gory and overall exciting, even if guns were a bit overpowered in the final battle.

The biggest downside (excluding Ron & Hermione parts, which is more my personal preference, then the author's screwup) are weak female OC's. While good!Riddle's girlfriend isn't so bad in the hindsight, Harry's girl is some sort of a ditzy blonde slut, that's basically just tagging along for the ride, without any practical relevance to the plot whatsoever. Honestly, I'd have much prefered to have seen more interaction with Riddle's Horcruxes, then romance-like shit with OC's I really don't care about. Also, the whole concept of walking into an AR by accident and meeting a bunch of muggles who had done it too, was simply too surreal for my taste. There were a few more irritating parts, but in hindsight, these were what bothered me the most.

All in all, this is an extremely good dark and independent Harry story, especially in the second half. I took away half point for R/Hr shit, half for unfocused plot and another half for stupid OC girlfriend and then added half for the length and great writing style.

Total score: 4/5; Highly recommended.

Checked by Minion, March 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I read this yesterday and found it a pretty good story, though I do definitely agree about the OCs...the female OCs felt really flat and thrown around. The first thing you know Harry's in love with Kittie, then it's Minnie.

The alternate dimension bit felt a little cheap, and the idea of the "otherworlds" just seemed like filler to me. The only part I really disliked (and this is me, because I like Harry-centric) was the string of about 4-5 chapters from the point of view of other characters.

The end turned out well. Harry's power was well done, and the last paragraph was something like I'd expect to see in a story, rather than an epilogue with him in a rocking chair around his numerous blonde-haired ditzy grandchildren.

Other than a few problems, it's a pretty decent story. Monster fic, 250k words. Overall, 4/5

3. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

As excellent as usual IP.
    9\10

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Im not finished it yet, but its good.

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Has anyone else read this and willing to give their opinion/rating?

6. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I just finished it. I enjoyed the whole thing, though I did think that the sidestep into Ron and Hermione's life took too long. In the review I left I gave a 9.7. Harry's assention to his power was done really well, in my opinion.

7. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

I'm not finished yet, but very well thought out plot and enjoyable, 4/5 so far

8. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I read it. It becomes a little tiring after a while, but over all a good fic.

4/5

9. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    Damn, I want to read this but FF.net is being gay at the moment. It won't load up worth shit, and this a monster of a computer I have.