1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Skykes, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Since it is a separate movie I figure a separate thread is in order.

I just came back from this and all I have to say is:
    Did the find the ugliest possible child for Hermione's kid?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I saw it two days ago, and enjoyed it.

My gripes:
    I still don't like how they do fights in harry potter movies, but this was more of the same, so I applaud their consistency. Gringotts felt rushed after the tension build up with Hermione.

My accolades:
    it had lots of action and tension, and checked the boxes of not-my-daughter and Neville is a Bamf crowd, so they knew their audience.

I was especially pleased with the humor

McGonagall's excitement over using a spell, Harry's statement of "our plans never work"

It also pulled heartstrings

My companions broke down at various points: the Ron Hermione kiss, Lily's words of encouragement, Harry's repudiation of Remus (thats where I lost it), and a dead Fred

3. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

C/p'd from the other thread in General...

I liked the bit with Griphook, it showed his betrayal and the distrust between them during the mission a lot more, but Ron, using the Imperio?

Fleur sending a look at Harry at the door for like five seconds, dunno if anyone else caught that but I think it might create some drabbles...

Snapes memories, why was the scene with Lily saying "Harry, be safe, be strong" there, as surely he would've stepped in if he actually seen it?

The scenes with Abeforth and Albus were rushed and destroyed most of that story.

Peter Pettigrew seems to have remained alive or atleast unmentioned

The little bits of comedy were alright, but a few seemed a bit forced.

Harry randomly jumping out of Hagrids arms when there was no danger to anyone else?

Molly blasting Bellatrix into tiny peices? o.o I would've prefered the AK.

No mention of Harry being Teddy's godfather, or Teddy at all...

Lastly, and I almost forgot, I wish I look that good when I hit my late thirties.

But I also felt it was rushed a lot in the beginning, and the scenes with the Dumbledores...

4. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Something that's really been bugging me:

Did Harry fix his Holly wand before snapping the Elder Wand (I part that i absolutely adored), or did he just spend the next nineteen years using Draco's?

5. happilyeverafter

happilyeverafter Sixth Year

My biggest problem with the film:

What the fuck happened to the whole Dumbledore subplot?

That was my favourite bit out of the whole book, and they didn't put it in. To be honest, the films assumed that you had read the books, for example

the whole thing with Harry's wand, although there might have been a scene where he mends it, but it was deleted. I guess I'll just wait for the DVD to find out.

Generally it was quite good, and the acting was good but I have to say that I like the first part better.

I wonder where the fandom is going to go now, since it usually gets a little boost when the films come out. Although, JKR will probably write another book if her money starts to run out :)

6. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Saw it last night. Can't believe it's over...

For the most part, I enjoyed it. There were maybe a dozen little things that bugged me, but overall it worked.

Most overused style for a first kiss with Ron and Hermione. Harry and Ginny's, dare I say it, was much better. More natural.

Snape's tears held the memories? Uh, what? That's the more 'romantic' death? There was no need to change the location from the shrieking shack to the made up boathouse as well. I thought another scene was going to be added that tied the place together with Snape and Lily, but no. The shack had more meaning behind it - the site where James saved Snape's life. At any rate, the kid who played Snape was suitable strange looking.

No mention of Harry using an Unforgivable at Gringotts, and then Ron uses the Imperius too?

The Carrows were eliminated by McGonagall deflecting Snape's spells? Would it have been that much trouble to have the Ravenclaw common room set created? So Harry doesn't truly use the all of the Unforgivables in the movie-verse.

The Harry/Voldemort duel was quite good, something that I was truly glad to see. It was what the end should've been like. Only the part near the end when they went flying around Hogwarts wasn't great (and that line "finish how we started - together"). Though I wondered why Harry lost his focus to the spell after Neville killed Nagini as well as Voldemort. He had no Horcrux left to feel the connection, but I suppose it was more epic that way.

The amount of Death Eaters and werewolves seemed rather excessive... But good to see giants and Acromantulas. Just no centaurs were spotted.

I liked Fiendfyre. But no explanation behind it? Ron could've mentioned it while he was running away from it initially. And a comment from Malfoy berating Crabbe from losing control. I did laugh at the new Goyle actor. He's black now?

No explanation behind the alarms set at Hogsmede. My girlfriend was like 'what?', having not read the books after the fourth.

Still hate Malfoy. Never redeems himself. He was about to kill Harry at the end, but chickened out again. Doesn't redeem him that he was too much of a coward to stand up for himself right until the end.

Grey Lady was good. Shame some of these things weren't foreshadowed well or at all.

Wandlore is still messed up. If it only applied to the Elder Wand, it'd be much easier to deal with...

Volde-baby in Harry's mind reminded me of chicken.

Epilogue was still kind of painful, but not as. Probably because only Albus Serverus was mentioned by name... Malfoy looked ridiculous in his makeup, as did Ron's hair. Hermione, of course, looked the best.

Don't get me wrong. While they bugged me, not all changes were bad. Some worked well. Some were just unnecessary.

Again, sad it's over. Big part of my life while I was growing up - started to read fanfiction while I was sick for three years. But at least the last two movies were good. Better than the book.

7. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I just assumed that was Blaise. No other black guy in Slytherin.

Also, did the people in you guy's theater boo when the Breaking Dawn trailer came on like mine did?
    Never felt so proud of my fellow Potter fans. That was fucking blasphemy, putting them together like that.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  8. Sokohn1

Sokohn1 Squib

I didn't get breaking dawn, we got The Dark Knight Rises :D

I enjoyed it a lot, even with the changes. For the most part, I thought they helped transition to a movie well, and some of the things that worked well in the book couldn't have been portrayed well in a movie.
    I thought the flying sequence during the final fight between Harry and Voldermort was dumb as hell, but the rest of their fight was great.

Also, why did Bellatrix explode? It makes no sense, I thought she was just gonna get suffocated on the corset, which would have been hilarious and within Molly's wheelhouse when it comes to magic. Nope, explodes into confetti :confused:

9. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Just came back from watching.

Overall I liked it. Way more than the other films, but that doesn't say much.

Fuck anyone who says they didn't get a little choked up during the Snape pensieve scene.

Fucking thing had me near Tears. Manly Testosterone filled tears. It was like the Dobby Death scene all over again only longer. Seriously, it was shocking, mainly because I don't think I expected to get so moved by it. Alan Rickman is a crazy skilled actor.

Bank scene did seem rushed but I think when watching the scene with the first Half it would seem heavily appropriate and just right. Dragon was cool, but I paused wondeirng if Hermione was actually the one who came up with the idea to ride the dragon, or was that just a reworked scene.

Fuckin Nevile Longbottom; Coolest, most bad ass Mofo this side of ever.

Helena Ravenclaw. Holy fuck. First, Hot. Second, Crazy Scary. Third HOt!
    I want more of her.When She flipped I sat way back in my seat.

I was so beyond pleased with the Ron Hermione Harry Scene after the pensieve. And Hermione properly displayed signs throughout the movie to make it seem like she had figured it out. That so captured the relationship I always envisioned those characters having.

So much more I could say, but I was very pleased. If there was bad I can't think of it right now. Also So vastly different from the other Potter Movies. Its like they realized the biggest fans now were adults now. It was written with them in mind.

Same thought. I like to think that 5 minutes after their scene before 19 years later Harry Realizes what he did.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  10. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Manly tears were shed.

Neville was a BOSS.

That entire 'blow-up-the-bridge' scene with McGonnagal's blessing. Did he single-handedly kill north of a hundred Death Eaters with that? Didn't even hesitate, like the tall swaggering set of balls he is.

'That went well.'

Favourite bit:

Voldemort's laugh and awesome grin when he announces Harry's death.

11. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I and all my friends (all 15 of us) laughed when Voldemort and Draco hugged and people in the row in front of us turned and glared. Also I said "Hey, look, it's Gandalf the White" along with about 7 other people when Dumbles appeared at Kings Cross, and that was only the people I could hear.

We watched it at IMAX in pretty spectacular 3D so we didn't get trailers for anything.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wish it had been Death Eaters, instead of Scabior's army of Snatchers. Would have been considerably more epic. That being said, this was still the best part of the entire movie series hands down. Hundred man one-hit-KO + slow-mo midair Nagini head-chop... so badass. In the midst of those two moments, well... I went a little bit gay for Neville.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone else suspect that Steve Cloves, the scriptwriter, is a hardcore, closet Harmonian?

13. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Maybe. But then I once read a long essay trying to prove (and doing quite a good job with it) that deep down Rowling is too. ;)

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Very very very very deep down.

15. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I always thought that the 3D cinema was a huge pile of crap. Avatar, Transformers, and a couple of others movies didn't give me nothing more than a headache and that's about it. But, I didn't mind the 3D at all for DH part 2 - I liked it even compared to the normal screening at the premiere nearly a week ago - it was very well done, I think.

[spoilers]

Anyway, I liked the movie - much better than the book. I regret the omission of the Dumbledore-Ariana part which was one of the rare things I liked in the book, but the movie largely compensated for that with epic battles.

Molly and Bellatrix fight was awkward, and I winced when she died. They could have put at least some gore and I'd have been fine.

Neville became my hero.

Harry has no sense of fashion. Seriously. Voldemort too.

"You have your mother eyes" eyes thing, the pensieve scene, and the way Dumbledore acted in King Cross' seemed to imply that Harry was Snape's son. Was it just me or did anyone else notice that?

[/spoilers]

16. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Oh god, the pensieve scene was wonderful. I thought it was great, one of my favorite parts of the movie.

Neville overall was just a badass. I love how it seemed like no one ever noticed him moving around. That bridge scene was epicly hilarious.

I hated the "Not my daughter you bitch!" line, maybe just a little bit more than I did in the book. I thought that was a ridiculous line then, and the movie did nothing to make me like it more.

I was a bit relieved with the scene where Harry pulled Voldemort out from the tower, I thought it looked so freaking stupid in the preview. It actually wasn't bad. The aerial fight, yeah, stupid.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I actually liked it. Not sure why. A whole fight between Harry and Voldemort was pretty good, especially compared to the one from the book. You know, the one that didn't happen at all.

18. Lumnox

Lumnox Third Year DLP Supporter

That was sort the point though, no? Voldemort was able to duel three fully skilled wizards at once in the book, I always got the impression that Harry didn't have a true duel with old Voldy because he couldn't; Voldemort would wipe the floor with him.

I found the movie enjoyable, felt that the beginning scenes of Gringotts were rushed, but I was okay with that because it allowed them more time to devote to the Battle of Hogwarts.

The battle itself had its crowning moments of awesome and its disappointing moments too. Kinda liked the change up with Harry's ballsy reveal to Snape in the Great Hall. Loved McGonagall driving off Snape and summoning the school to action ("I always wanted to use that spell!"). The shielding and subsequent bombardment was a nice touch and provided a beautiful backdrop for all the preparation scenes.

The fact the students weren't evacuated was a little annoying, since that upped the number of people just running (instead of actually fighting) around during the battle. Glad giants and acromantulas made it in, though the lack of centaurs sending volleys into the Death Eater ranks was felt.

Snape's death scene, while moved to a random location, I felt was well done, and god did the pensive scene kill me. Alan Rickman's grief and anguish just reach out of the screen and clenched my heart tight. Such a good actor. And the scene where Harry confirms to Hermione (I got the sense that Ron didn't know wtf was going on) that he was a Horcrux...heartbreaking. Loved the scenes in the Forbidden Forest.

It seems along with most people, my gripes were mainly with the turning points of the battle:

1) Neville: While he was given the badass scene blowing up the bridge, I feel that the beheading of the snake should have come at the peak of his speech in the courtyard. Instead we're treated to Neville moment of awesome being largely obscure to most people and Ron and Hermione luring a snake by throwing rocks at it.

2) Molly & Bellatrix: I was very awkward. I was expecting Molly to jump in, wand blazing, and the duel to have intensity. Instead it seemed like a duel with kiddie gloves on. And Molly was supposed to AK her (or was it just a strong curse to the heart?). Instead we get Bellatrix dissolving into sparkles?

3) Harry & Voldemort: As I stated above, I hate that Harry and Voldemort even crossed wands, simply on the basis that Harry shouldn't last five seconds. I hated the flying around/aerial fight/symbolic merging scene. I didn't mind the face-off in the courtyard so much, though I wish it had been on front of everyone as it was in the book. Oh, and that they had timed the sunrise LOTR-style for the crescendo of the stand off. That would have been a) true to the book, and b) epic.

Overall I loved it, would watch it again, and really if I were honest, it's the last HP movie, a capstone to my childhood, so short of introducing a sparkly vampire, nothing could have ruined this for me.

(Oh, and for the Breaking Dawn trailer, I was going to let it pass, but then I saw someone cheering a couple rows in front of me. Fuck that. I shouted as loud as I could "Kill the sparkly fairy bastard! Avada Kedavra!" and was cheered by at least half the theater. I have hope for society yet.)

19. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

So. I fucking loved it. I saw it in 3D, with these special seats that rumble when certain things happen...not sure why they do, but it's kinda cool. I'm also not sure why we have things in spoiler quotes, but I guess I will do so as well.

I had a theater full of excited people who clapped for fucking everything. They clapped in the beginning, for the kisses, for Snape, for Neville, etc. They also became livid when my dad's phone went off. Literally, I heard maybe half a dozen people yell variations of shut up/shut the fuck up/damn it. It made me laugh.

My absolute favorite moment was when Voldemort hugs Draco. It was so wtflulzy, and I loved it. Dunno why Voldemort would ever do that, but the very memory makes me chuckle.

Neville was awesome, as has been said, though I was bummed that he didn't kill Nagini during his speech.

McGonagall was awesome, and Maggie Smith is such a badass for filming all of that so well while struggling with cancer.

The dragon scene was less epic than it could have been. And my dad would not shut up about the lack of centaurs....really wish they'd included them.

I cried many times during this movie. The pensieve scene made me cry the most, which kind of surprised me. Lily not having green eyes, or even the blue eyes that the movies show Harry as having just pissed me the fuck off. Out of everything in all of the movies, the fact that they don't just use some special effects or contacts to make them have super green eyes is what bugs me the most. It'd be so fucking easy to do.

I've mentioned this before on IRC, but the painting of Ariana Dumbledore reminds me of an ugly cancer patient. Dat forehead. :(

The scenes with Luna made me smile, and yet again I find myself thinking that Luna/Harry is the best ship EVAAAA!!!1!111!!!

Helena Ravenclaw = one badass bitch. Hot, too, in a 'this is Harry Potter, no one's hot' kind of way.

Suffice it to say, I really liked it. I've learned to live with the movies not being that true to the books, which leaves me so much happier. I actually want to go see this again in theaters, and I can't wait for the DVD with deleted scenes.

Oh, also....didn't everyone look way worse in the pictures leaked of the epilogue than they did in the movie itself? I thought they were gonna look old as fuck, based on the pics, but they didn't look THAT bad. Harry actually looked better, I thought.

One more thing....Daniel Radcliffe is dangerously close to a unibrow.

Oh! And Voldebaby was cool.

20. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

c/p from Premiere thread, probably should have checked here first. Fuck spoilers.

Just came back from the cinema, and it was ok. Some scenes were a little...off, but in general it was epic.

My theatre was shit though. All the lowest slapstick got big laughs and the funniest line in the movie ("Lets finish this like we started it...together.") got zero laughs, I felt like a tool when I couldn't hold in a cackle. Also, right behind me were two idiot girls, one who was dumb and one who was loud. Apparently they thought they were an Abbott and Costello style double act, since they provided an artful, detailed commentary loud enough for the whole theatre to hear, explaining all of the obvious plot points and examining the attractiveness of every male character, often right in the middle of dialogue. Thanks for being bogan, Wollongong.

The movie itself...yeah. Took itself too seriously at times, and the attempts to lighten the mood (eg. Mcgonagall's "I've always wanted to use that spell") seemed weirdly out of place in the grand finale. Some really underused drama could have heightened the tension of the final scenes, stuff like the deaths of Harry's friends was almost glossed over, they die really quickly in the battle and apart from a 15 second death recap scene, there is no reflection on this. A missed opportunity to inject some emotion into the end, but thats what the previous films were for I guess.

I think the movie on its own is good, but it relies far too much on the nostalgia of the series to succeed. Counting that factor, I really liked it, and it provided an appropriate resolution to a decade of movies that were in themselves emotional, but I didn't watch most of them, and its been sometime since I've read the books. Without that emotional base, it seems like this movie doesn't quite reach the standard it should have.

Standout performances by Alan Rickman and Emma Watson (because I'd like to put my penis in her, if you know what I mean) were fun and Ralph Fiennes makes the best of a terrible script (lolhug). Some scenes were painfully obvious, like when the gang falls through the Thieves Downfall, we get a shot of Hermione's cleavage right in the camera, and a rather long changing scene that focuses on Dan's torso, but the battles are well executed and obviously the cg is top notch.

Eh, its a 3.5/5 and thats all. Not as good as people seem to think it is.