1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and The Finding of Power by MidnightPhoenixx - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Ragon, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Title: Harry Potter and The Finding of Power
    Author: MidnightPhoenixx
    Rating: M
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    Suggested DLP place: General
    Pairing: H/Cho
    Chapters: 13
    Words: 108,646
    Updated: July 27, 2005
    Published: April 1, 2005

Link: Harry Potter and the Finding of Power
    Summary: Harry Potter's 6th year is unlike anyone ever thought. Harry deals with relationships and his destiny as he unlocks the power within himself.

This was something I used to really like and I was looking at fics in my favorites on FF.net and found it. Tear it apart if you want too.

Checked by Minion, March 10, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2013
  2. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

Nice link.

3. invisdible

invisdible Second Year

I think you meant http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2332291/1/

Yeah, it's abandoned- last update, July 2005.

I read the first six chapters. It starts off fine... Harry finds some innate talent for wandless magic, and some (not too heavy) Harry/Cho. But I couldn't make it past chapter six where Harry becomes a black phoenix animagus and levels Malfoy Manor; the SuperHarry was too much for me.

Writing style-wise, nothing spectacular, but decent writing. Good spelling/grammar/et cetera.
    Nothing too eye-catching though.

Conclusion: average. Good way to pass the time if you have nothing else to read, and if you don't mind Super!Harry. 3/5

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  4. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

In the future, respect the author enough to spell their bloody name right, and add the link. Take your time. It's not a race to throw in as many stories as possible.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I've read this story a while back.

I don't remember many details, but I think that at the time I didn't mind Harry's swift transformation into a phoenix very much. I don't know where the super!Harry comes from, since he was far from unbeatable. Romance and angst factors were present, but not overly stifling, I think.

In fact, even though this is a shipper fic, romance here is one of the better I've seen in FF, with breakups, problems, misunderstandings and everything else that a proper romance should have. It does make Harry into sort of a bitch, but here at least there's some sort of excuse for it.

Anyway, back when I read this story, I'd have given it 4.5/5. Since in the meantime some elements used here have become cliches, I don't think I would have given it more then 4/5 if I read it today. So, still a good read, but far from perfect.
    4/5

6. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

I really liked this. I was real glad that Harry didn't forgive Cho, and I liked the way Harry's powers worked. The absorbing magic stuff was pretty well done. Nice fic, 4/5, and definitely better then some of the crap that's slipped its way into the library recently.

7. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I remember this one from a while back. It's another one of those fics that makes me really hate Cho while thinking perhaps I'm supposed to like her. Or that inevitably you can't help but to love heartless whiny bitches even when the heartless whiny bitches act like heartless whiny bitches.

Bonus points for the nice Harry/Muggle stuff. I remember thinking it was a bit thick on the crying, angst, and perhaps alcoholism angle, but I really liked the magic parts and Harry's super-ness. Battle Mage, fire-calling type stuff is pretty cliched but described interesting enough here. A magical inclusion of "muggle" martial arts wasn't half as bad as most one summer and he's a black belt type additions.

Abandoned I suspect, though I really wanted more. Good fic but without more I can't see much point in recommending that people read this chunk. It's simply not satisfying enough on its own.

Still, the parts I liked, I really liked so 4/5.

8. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Never mind was gonna say link worked but then I say the edit.

WOOO!!!!!!!!!
    200 POSTS!

9. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

it is abandoned. i read it before. 3.5/5

10. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

"Could that be it? Harry suddenly thought, repulsed by the thought. Is the key to fully closing my mind to Voldemort actually sex and alcohol?

Well Harry could reasonably conclude at this time that alcohol seemed to work fine for keeping Voldemort out of his dreams. Would sex work the same way?

Harry tried to recall everything he had read about occlumency. According to what he had read, the key to completely closing off one’s mind was to empty and relax the conscious aspect of the mind. Harry was pretty certain that his expertise in occlumency would be enough to keep any person out of his mind. But then, Voldemort wasn’t just any person. They were linked through his scar. Harry knew that Voldemort possessed a much greater ability to access his thoughts through that link. For Harry to shut out Voldemort entirely, he would have to be able to clear and relax his thoughts much more than he can consciously do. It seemed at the moment that the only ways to completely empty his mind of all conscious thought, was to either get shit-faced drunk, or get laid every night."

I think that says it all.

11. cmuylistoooo

cmuylistoooo Fourth Year

does harry get it on with padma?, i seem to have forgotten.

12. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I...could barely get past the title. It's just...too much. It brings to mind, 'Oh, what's this over here? Hmm, never seen this before...why, what do you know, it's Power! Maybe I'll use it to defeat the Dark Lord!' I couldn't read very far in this one. The title is...very appropriate. There's probably a good reason why it was abandoned--common sense, perhaps? 1/5.

13. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Yes He does.

And remember when it was first written it wasnt as full of cliches as it is now.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  14. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Err... Padma? Really? I thought over the summer he saved and got with Cho. Then I thought he was presumed dead and he started hooking up with a muggle chick because Cho moved on.

Am I completely forgetting a part with Padma or was I thinking and talking about a different fic?

15. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

He gets with Padma in the last posted chapter

16. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

After he comes back to Hogwarts and starts socializing he hooks up with Padma a few times because he still hasn't forgiven Cho for kissing another guy while he was gone.

And @ Darksov, read the publishing date, this was original when it came out, and it still is in many respects (relationship wise, character interaction, etc).