1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Freedom of Apathy by nonjon - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by nonjon, May 5, 2006.

1. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Title: Harry Potter and the Freedom of Apathy
    Author: nonjon
    Rating: M
    Pairing: Harry/Tonks (very slight)
    Category: Drama/Angst
    Chapters: 15
    Words: 33648
    Summary: COMPLETE. PostOotP. After ten years in Azkaban Harry emerges a changed man. Enlightened and respectful, he is creature of magic full of disappointment and shame in his own race. And yet yielding power that none can match.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2329599/1/

Title: Harry Potter and the Apathy of Freedom
    Author: nonjon
    Rating: M
    Pairing: Harry/Tonks
    Category: Drama/Angst
    Chapters: 1
    Words: 14528
    Summary: COMPLETE. OneShot. [Sequel to Harry Potter and the Freedom of Apathy] The wizarding world has been freed from the oppression of the Dark Lord. And it appears they have learned nothing.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2432499/1/

Meh. I saw this wasn't in with the other Azkaban fics and felt like self-plugging. The first story is pretty rough, has more typoes than usual for me, isn't funny, was written in a week, and posted all at once. This was my second attempt at fanfic ever and my first ended up being nearly humor and nothing else (Bestest. Birthday. Ever.). So I was attempting the other end of the spectrum here. It's different from my other stuff, but I've gotten a fair amount of positive response. The second was just a one-shot follow-up to people wanting more of an epilogue. It ended up being almost half as long as the short-chaptered first fic. I do think I handled issues like forgiveness in a far more realistic manner than most of the azkaban!betrayal fics I've read and for that reason I'm proud of parts of this. Though introducing every "magical" race, Merlin, atlantis, supering!Harry off the charts, and a few other things make it cliched and trite. Griphook, Dobby, Ragnok, Fawkes all play the exact usual roles you expect them too.

I doubt I'll be revisiting these fics, though someday it might be nice to re-edit the first one to read easier.

Checked by Minion, March 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I read this some time ago. It was kinda overly idealistic, what with all magical creatures living happily ever after under the rainbow, but post-Azkaban!Harry who WASN't raging all around was still pretty refreshing IMO. In the end, it was an OK read, but far from nonjon's best works...

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Indeed. I read these along time ago. Back then I liked them very much. They dont stand up to your other work though, but I guess these were some of your first works.

4. tridentwatch

tridentwatch Looked into the void

Nonjon, your stories are some of the best ones out there, so dont get me wrong and take this as some kinda personal insult (actually take it as a personal insult.. I dont really care). But this one just sucks. I tried reading it and bah! It is like trying to read massive amounts of H/G fluff without sleep straight on for a week.

5. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Yeah they paled compared to your other masterpieces, but I thought they were alright. Though the lack of your trademark humor naturally made the reading less enjoyable.

6. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

I have to agree with most others while the stories are OK so are they far from your best work...

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

You have to remember that this is some of his first work. He didnt have his trademark humor then. Not many authors just bust onto the scene with a totally awesome story.

8. Lunarian

Lunarian Third Year

I actually thoroughly enjoyed these stories both then and now. Humor's a small price to pay for an apathetic Harry.

9. nonjon

I agree with most all of the complaints people have said. Well except maybe tridentwatch, "this one just sucks" is more of an opinion with very little commentary on the fics.

I'd only written a dozen or so chapters of Bestest. Birthday. Ever. I was worried that I relied too much on simply humor and had nothing of substance to write about, so I attempted my own take on angst and drama. Yes I fell into the cliches many first-time authors do. I wrote the whole thing in one week, while at work. Split my document into fifteen chapters, and presto: my first completed fic. I think I could have whored my way to a hell of a lot more reviews if I'd posted the chapters every few days rather than all at once, but I hate reading WIPs and thought I'd try it this way. As I neared writing the end of it I probably rushed it a bit because I tired of the tediousness of the writing. It wasn't as much fun to write as humor, because I had no idea if parts made as much sense. It's much easier to tell if something's funny that it is to tell if something's powerful or dramatic (in a good way that works).

It was also this process that made me realize actively avoiding a style doesn't work and to simply write whatever I feel up to. And a lot of times, that's humorous stuff.

And it gets an awful lot of hits. Even after counters reset it's since gotten 60817 hits for 126 reviews (an impressve 0.2% review rate not counting all the hits it lost). 124 C2's and 193 favorites for the first fic, 61 and 42 for the one-shot sequel. Almost exactly as many C2's as reviews (126/124 and 60/61). Such odd numbers, but it seems like many who don't like my humor may like these fics, while others who do like my humor, some of them cannot stand these fics.

10. Prophet of the Waves

Prophet of the Waves First Year

This was a good read I liked it all tho I havn't read any of his other stories I really liked this one and seeing that other people say this isn't one of his best makes me want to find some more of you stories. I just wanted to let you know I really like this story, but one thing I didn't like was that Harry beat Voldimort in less than 10 minutes and that he had the ability to change into any of the animales that he became "brothers" with. but still I am new to all of this so I am just glad I got the chance to read this

11. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

Dude did you not see that no one has posted in this thread since May. NECRO BUMPING IS BAD.

12. nonjon

Err... necro bumping discussion threads of discussions long since dead is bad.

Fics in the library on the other hand, as long you have something relevant to say, are semi-exempt from necro-bumping scoldings.

Common sense rules apply. Don't post just a one-liner saying something like "I liked it" or "anyone know when an update is coming."

Though I fear for someone reading this pair of fics as an introduction to my writing style.