1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Secret Sanctuary by Farfumsane - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by That_Boy, Jan 19, 2006.

1. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Title: Harry Potter And The Secret Sanctuary
    Author: Farfumsane
    Rating: T
    Genre: General/Humour
    Ships:H/Susan, H/SallyAnnPerks, H/OFC, and (eventually) H/G,
    Summary:This fic has been renamed, was 'Year of Discovery'. Harry and co.’s 6th year is filled with new powers, places, experiences and faces. HighPower!Harry. No slash. Shipscan be found in the AN at the beginning of the first chapter.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1906075/1/
    Not HG yet and so far its ok

2. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

Who is that chick in your avatar that_boy??

3. DarkPhoenix2500

DarkPhoenix2500 Second Year

Its a ok story considering, not that great in my opinion, and yea.....its at the point where H/G would most likely start to happen in the next few chapters, but in my opinion >_> Hes doing a very good job with it, so read it @_@ even if you hate harry/ginny

4. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

No idea, someone off the internet.

5. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

yea i hate h/g but this is very well done and what is really nice is ginny says she doesn't even like him that way, although its obviously a lie, it's still fun to read..

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    not a bad fic

7. sirius009

that just about did it for me, i can't read any more of this, it started off promising and then the author turns it into this, disgusting..

8. Rhea

Rhea First Year

I liked it more in the beginning. It was interesting before but now...something went wrong. And I'm not talking about H/G. I don't actually read it anymore, I just skim it.

9. sirius009

i dont even do that anymore, i think the author ran out of steam or become to big into religion or something b/c now harry is just a pansy..

10. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

<SPOILERS>

I remember this fic. It was really good when it started. Its well written and the author takes pains to explain stuff. At first Harry seems to take some responsibility and starts preparing for the war and even trains the other students. Heck he includes some Slytherins and pretty much turns the DA in to his own flipping army. Some of them even managed to hold off DE attacks till help arrieves.

There are some other things that are done well, like Harry becoming a prankster, that I liked. Though the whole prank an entire house thing was over done. I also like the fact that according to the Weasley brothers, Harry is the one for Ginny because HE can stand up to HER. Hermione one of Triplets was a new idea too and he really did those characters well. Plus I liked the way he changed Neville.

But then it started going downhill. First the magical animagus. *Sigh*

Then the whole fluffy 'Manor group' (think thats what he called them).

Then the pranks. I don't mind pranking and the method in which Harry pranked the whole of Hogwarts was pretty cool. It was plausable. After that they got too much as he pranked whole houses. I don't want to ruin it for you so I won't say how.

Then there's Harry pining for Ginny after she rejected him. At one point Harry tell Neville something along the lines of "I can't help loving her and now that I can't have her I'll just lead a sad lonely life." Not what he said but you get the gist. :puke:

Then there is Harry being a pussy in general in later chapters. Voldie killed their parents its all my fault!!! :headshot:

</SPOILERS>

But seriously this is a pretty good fic. There are some really funny scenes in there so give it a shot. Some parts I reread just for the laugh.

11. saL

saL Second Year

as niffler said above there were some good ideas in this story with quite good characterizations of OCs but then comes the point where it seems as if the author read over his work and became frightened that he made harry too independent and immediately corrected it and let him become a pussy again
    the whole harry pining for ginny thing was the biggest turnoff imo
    after they got together :puke: i stopped reading the story (and i can normally read h/g as long as it is AU or well written and !realistic!)

12. Spikes

Spikes Backtraced

Ahh yes, this story is a good one. I would recommend it to any of you. My favorite part of the story is when they started talking about Rons "wand"

13. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Very competently written in technical terms, and there are some pretty good sequences here.

Downsides are that Harry's way too super, clichés run rampant, and I found it very hard to care about the romance aspect at all.

On the whole, a weak start, gets gradually better, becomes pretty decent, then fizzles out. This story is good for the nostalgia, if you've stayed away from this genre for a while, but I don't consider it DLP material.

3/5

14. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

To be honest, this story, which started in '04, created a good number of the cliche's in the genre. It shared an era with RossWrock's Power of Time, and The Awakening Power. In that sense, it's a bit of a must-read, if only to know where certain authors got some of the cliche's from. And those cliche's aren't as poorly written as they are in some of the stories that rip them off, in my own opinion.

This story's on my favorites list from way back when, and while I don't reread it and experience "nostalgia", I still think it deserves the place it earned back when it was put up for review in early '06.

4/5

15. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

Wow, this is one big ass fic.

It gets an automatic 3 from me, just for the sheer amount of content.
    The quality of said content however, is as posted above by others.
    It sadly remains 3, which isn't bad... but it's also not great.

/neglected fic