1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Third Key by Slowfox - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Midevildle, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Midevildle

Midevildle Squib

I havn't seen this one posted yet, and they may be because it's extremely hard to find...

Title: Harry Potter and the Third Key
    Author: Slowfox
    Rating: M
    Genre: :Action/Adventure
    Pairing: Harry/Parvati and then Harry/Cho
    Summary: Well, we’re back after the GoF, and things have taken a turn for the darker. Sword fights, apocalyptic battles, new kinds of magic coming right at you! We’ve got love, betrayal, angst. Doing the right thing, doing the wrong thing, and doing it in style. A Muggle-style beach party by the lake, a Yule ball and the full Quidditch season! See Azkaban! See Fudge on a power trip! Debate where Snape’s loyalty really lies. See what really prompted Slytherin, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff to establish the school. This is dark - expect deaths, and a PG-13ish rating.
    Link: The Third Key

The author rewrote and reposted the story on ff.net:

Title: Harry Potter and the Third Key: Reloaded
    Author: slowfox
    Rating: M
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    Chapters: 91
    Words: 370,807
    Updated: Aug 3, 2009
    Published: Aug 2, 2009
    Summary: An AU Fifth Year fic written pre-OotP. Sword fights, apocalyptic battles, new kinds of magic. Love, betrayal, angst. Doing the right thing, doing the wrong thing, and doing it in style. This is epic. This is dark. *This* is TTK:Reloaded.

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5269970/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Third-Key-Reloaded

Ok, I debated with myself for a while to post this here in the Super Powered Harry section, or Dark but Lightside sections. Finally decided here was a good spot, and here's why. Harry is really powerful but he does have to pay for the power he gets (I don't want to spoil it though >.<). The world the author uses here would classify his powers as 'Dark', but is isn't the Dark Arts or anything like that, so thus General seems the best place for this one.

This fic is loooong, and it's really epic and quite unique. It is pretty old and was one of the first fics I ever read, to this day it's still one of my favorites.

Chapter 13 is where it really picks up.

EDIT:
    Yeah I just noticed that after chapter 27 the links are borken. Slowfox himself took the fic down from where it was originally (Fictionally), and the only other place I can find this fic is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hero_trilogy/ there is a .rar with all the chapters in the files section there.

Edit: This has a rewritten and completed version here. -Sesc
    Checked by Minion, Feb. 8, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
  2. razz

razz Seventh Year

Yeah, this is interesting. Good spelling and grammar, decent plot. I haven't read too much, but it's worth the time.

:D

3. thanos

thanos Muggle

broken link

The link is broken, is there another place where i can find it?

4. Midevildle

Midevildle Squib

Yeah I just noticed that after chapter 27 the links are borken. Slowfox himself took the fic down, and the only other place I can find this fic is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hero_trilogy/ there is a .rar with all the chapters in the files section there.

5. thanos

thanos Muggle

Thank you.

6. razz

razz Seventh Year

Oh, that sux. [/url]

7. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

i'm giving it a try...and it's okay so far (chapter 11).

although, i must admit to being very ornery with every innuendo involving hermione and draco. she wants the ball-less wonder in a BAD way.

hmm, it's too bad i didn't read this years ago. if i'da read it about the time cassandra claire's fics were starting up - i think i'd really like it.

as it is, i think i'm just much more inclined to post-ootp harry.

8. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

yeah, i dont really like the hermione/draco thing. But otherwise, i am well into this fic. And was about to moan about chapter 27 onwards being bust, but my prayers have been answered

9. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Jeez, I couldn't help but gag at that pathetic quidditch match in chapter 9, "Oh, I lost to Cho, but it's okay, the game was soo fun!" Ugh, and seeing Malfoy talking down to Harry and "warning" him is completely gay, to be fair though, I'm only chapter 11 so it'll probably get better.

10. Midevildle

Midevildle Squib

Yeah, until chapter 13ish it really is a sort of standard post GoF fic. But from there, and more so later it's just...amazing. That later chapters are dark.

And those who keep reading that don't like Draco/Hermione...well it turns out to be a bit different.

11. Vassago

Vassago First Year

Well, i've read chap 1-26 now, but the rest of the chaps won't seem to open anymore...

I like it, but it's not the best story every or something, but it's a good read for a rainy day :)

12. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

ite, i'm in the 30s now and it's picking up.

yeah, at least so far - the draco/herms started feeling bad, currently feels great - but who knows where it'll end up.

i'm not sure if chapter 13 is where it really starts going so much as after the first mention of 'tempus'.

13. Vassago

Vassago First Year

Does anyone have the same problem, with the pages not opening after chap 26, or is that just me?

Keep getting this error with every chap that I try to open after 26:

14. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

yeah, you have to go to that yahoo group stated above in the thread and download the .rar file with all of the chapters.

schnoogle doesn't have them after 27 (or 26 i guess?).

also, the fic is growing on me. i like this harry (for the most part...he's progressing), i hate this ron (as in it's canon ron, and therefore eminently hateable...but not written in a ron!fanboy/girl way), and i'm ambivalent about hermione.

and the dance between harry and cho is among the best i've seen.

15. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I beleive there's a complete version of this fic on HpRecycleBin yahoo group. All chapters included + the prologue.

16. Vassago

Vassago First Year

Damn, I think I love you :lol:

17. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

the writing i thought was good. It was definently worth a read seing how its nearly impossible to find good fics these days.

I did have some complaints though.

1. everyone keeps dieing, and in a way its good becuase it makes you want to keep reading to see what the author will do next. But for me personally i thought it was a little much. Though i might be biased over the person who died at the end.

2. Harry was very very angsty. It semeed like every chapter he was crying to Cho about cedric. He placed the guilt on himself ALOT. If i was Harry and Moody was being a little bitch telling me im killing my friends (while inreality im saving the fucking world) id of blasted him with some serious mage magic and rosted him with fire in front of the entire order.

3. Harry had a huge great power, but he was wuch a snivvleing little kid. I guess im rather used to the more mature independant books these days. But it seemed the the grownups kept trying to bash him and put him in his place. In reality Harry was the last hope for the damn planet. He should have been slapping some grown ups in place.

4. I understand the life sentence for being a mage, but with magical means (truth potion, pensive) harry could have been free of all other charges and lies spouted by the ministry and slytherins.

I guess at the end of the dayi was just dissapointed that harry was so emotionally weak. I would have been emensly happier with this fic if harry had really put his powers to use. He could have done so much more. He was by all means a one man army of incredible destrutive power. Instead he was a snivling little kid that was sad and guilty that he would have to take Voldemorts life.

btw. anyone else feel a little put off at the role of Tempus? The make it such a big deal in the beginning, but in the end it seems like they really didnt do anyting. I was atleast expecting to see them launch some real attacks, and possible have the leader exposed and a true rivaling 3rd party to the war.

18. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

hmm...i'll finish it eventually, but right now i can't.

harry's too much of a little bitch to keep going. he might as well put on a maid outfit and stick his ass in the air for moody.

it's disgusting.

19. Aura

Aura Seventh Year

I read this fic a month ago. One thing i really find annoying about it is that almost every chapter ends in a cliffy. A bit annoying sometimes. I also have some complaints about the story. I don't want to say too much though for fear of spoiling some parts of the fic.

-The Hermione/Draco thing? Ugh... She's like Harry in this aspect, so emotionally weak in the story.
    -Harry is so weak emotionally. What a pussy...
    -Superfriends! Theme...
    -Moody is awfully annoying. If somebody kept talking like that to me, I'd have done something about it, not go to my room and cry.
    -All adults seem to like bashing Harry
    -Everybody seems to die

After getting over those few things, I love the fic! Dean is very interesting and by far my favorite character in the story, far more so than Harry(the little wuss!). The whole mage thing was interesting as well. I liked the consequences of being a mage, because it balances the whole thing a bit. Take away the consequence and you'd have your average superpowered!Harry.

Meh... I'm sure i'm forgetting some good parts but just read it and find out. :) It's a good long read.

20. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Insanely long fic, One of the first ones I have read. While reading it, please remember this fic was written actually after GoF came out, not OTTP.

It is a very good fic once you get past the first like 13 chapters.