1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter: Game of the Year Edition by Casey W - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Lyrium, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

Title: Harry Potter: Game of the Year Edition
    Author: Casey W
    Rating: T
    Genre: Alternate Universe (AU)
    Library Category: AU
    Pairings: None so far.
    Summary: Harry Potter dies in the graveyard of Little Hangleton. GAME OVER. Start new game?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8052743/1/Harry-Potter-Game-of-the-Year-Edition

What if Harry Potter was a role playing character in a game? I really like the concept of Harry being in a game that plays out the events of the books with increasing AUness (game mechanics include saves, reloads, points, character builds, etc).

This is my current favorite fan fiction concept where an HP character is in a game like environment. I'd love any suggestions for other such stories (I've read Sir Poley's which was what led me to this one).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  2. Photon

Photon Order Member

It looks quite interesting and promising but update rate is rather low (and irregular).

For now it is 3.5/5 from me (I liked it but it is nothing spectacular, no hopes for seeing this story finished).

3. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Eh, read this awhile ago, but it seemed a tad to short to rate. I'll have to reread it. I do know, that from what I had read, I'd give it about a 3.5/5, rounded down, with potential to get up to 4/5. Depends on how it (has) plays(/ed) out.

EDIT: Also, there aren't many Game!HP-fics, but there a few Naruto ones. I think chibireaper is the one who first came up w/ the idea, though his was a naruto fic.

EDIT THE SECOND: Seems I was thinking of a different HP of this genre. I've still read this one, but I also see why it faded from my memory.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I could have sworn this had come up for review already, but perhaps that was just the Naruto version.

From what I remember of it... I'd say 3/5 at best, and mostly because it felt somewhat unique (Harry choked on his letter once and died? lol, did I remember that right?).

I won't rate the thread because I can't remember it clearly enough.

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was in the WbA but the author stopped posting.

I kinda like this genre, it's a shame that there are so few HP ones, if somebody would take time and work out a simple yet effective D&D system for it then I would read the shit out of it.

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I've been following this, and while I like it, I don't think it escapes the 'Guilty pleasure' category.

7. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    I agree with that, it can never work as a serious fic...

You are still dead to me. Starleaf hater.

8. table

table Banned

HoS, I assume you've read Harry Potter and the Natural 20?

9. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

This has too many cliches that I personally don't like (manipulative!Dumbledore for example), so no cookies from me.

10. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Yes, why? I think, however good it is, still cunts as a selfinsert crack fic.

11. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

The whole Peverell/Gryffindor vaults thing is an instant Alt F4 for me. That and ruthlessly manipulative!Dumbledore.

It's a guilty pleasure at best.

2.5/5, and that's because I kinda like the genre.

12. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

Definitely an Almost Recommended story. I enjoy it and I've been following it for a while, but I have no illusions about where it stands. 3/5 from me.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I see what you did thar.

14. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

The only other one I found, with its own assortment of flaws, is Ranger Harry which is based on n D&D. The D&D parts are highly enjoyable but Albus and the HP world are not.

If interested its at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7513532/1/Ranger-Harry

I wouldn't post it in its own review thread because it's a very guilty pleasure and the story seems unlikely to be completed\regularly updated.

15. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I could barely read past all of the bashing and cliches. Nice goblins is where I quit. 2/5. Would not even barely recommend.

16. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

this post is completely of track, but goddamn, your avatar got me. Totally startled and reached for something to squash the giant spider on my screen.

17. EkulTeabag

EkulTeabag Seventh Year

Read the story. The writing style bugs me, and the first half of the first chapter has a much different tone than everything else. The chapters are short, but because of the obnoxiously long author notes at the end they're even shorter than what you might expect.

The author's admitted loathing of Ron and Dumbledore presents a problem to me, because I kinda like Ron, and I'm indifferent to Dumbledore (I dislike his end of book exposition, though).

Overall, I wouldn't even consider this a guilty pleasure (as much as I dislike that phrase). It's just too cliché and crack-ficcy for my liking, and the update rate is quite atrocious (32,000 words, a significant chunk of which consists of author notes, since April 2012).

I'll it rate 2/5, as it's not something I'd continue reading even if the update rate was much quicker.

18. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Pure guilty pleasure - I'd never recommend it as a must - read, or a way to hook people into the fandom, but I will admit to having it in a C2 so I can see when it's been updated. 3/5 - average plot so far; the writing style is nothing horrendous, and the grammar / sentence structure / word choice is at about a eleventh grade level, so no points off for that; the cliches aren't too oppressive, and it has enough sense to make fun of the genre of videogame fics at least.

TL;DR - almost recommended - good if you're bored and waiting for other things to update.

19. melior

melior Seventh Year

I'm always amused by the gimmick at first, but to me it gets old really, really fast. The "mid-game" messages are what annoy me, I think. If the author limited it purely to the game over screens, I would probably like it a lot more.

(part of this is probably just me being old and completely apathetic to the whole achievements/trophies thing)

I understand the desire to run away as fast as you can, but I find Ctrl-W much more useful in these situations. :)

20. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The concept is clever, but in the end its just a Groundhog Day fic with a twist. Fics like this for Naruto have been done (And done quite well, at that) by EroSlackerMicha, Rathanel, and a variety of other authors. This just seems like a blatant, less interesting, ripoff.

Fics like this work best as a soundingboard for ideas, much like collections of oneshots, a fic to compare it to would be Harry Potter and the Temporal Beacon. These fics don't end, the entire point of the reset is to give authors an avenue through which to test ideas, and get things onto paper that might not work in a full story.

Had this been done 5 years ago (and done well) I would probably be recommending it as a guilty pleasure fic... but as it stands, there are fics out there with the same concept, that are better in every way.

2/5