1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter: Knowledge is Power by SerpentSannin - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by dragaan, Jan 21, 2008.

Not open for further replies.
  1. dragaan

dragaan First Year

Title: Harry Potter: Knowledge is Power
    Author: SerpentSannin
    Rating: Fiction Rated: M
    Genre: Adventure/Supernatural
    DLP Category: Independent Harry
    Pairing: Harry P. & Fleur D.
    Chapters: 70
    Words: 305331
    Published: February 15, 2009 (on hpfanficarchiv)
    Updated: February 15, 2009 (on hpfanficarchiv)

Link: fanfiction.net
    Link: http://www.hpfanficarchive.com/stories/viewstory.php?sid=47

Summary: Harry Potter, after a tragic attack on his family at the age of 3 is adopted by Remus Lupin who raises him in a muggle magical environment. Harry enters the magical world mature and ready to learn for Knowledge is Power, and power he will need. HarryFleur

I liked it because it was fresh, original, and by one of my favorite authors. This story features a Ravenclaw Harry and two very developed OC's. SerpentSannin blends humor into the story that had we cracking up. Please give some comments on this story.

P.S. Naruto fans should read his Puppet Master Naruto fic that is in his profile.

Checked by Minion, June 9, 2013
    The story was deleted by the author, but it is available through various reposts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  2. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I'm pretty sure this was already posted here, and I'm pretty sure I reviewed it somewhere.

I didn't like the whole soccer mum Remus but it's overlook-able.

The whole bunch of unnecessary O.C. (Archie, Stephanie, etc.) pissed me off. Otherwise, it's a pretty average fanfiction.

Wouldn't give it more than 3/5.

3. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I'm almost positive that this has been posted before. The mention of "Jam Sessions" in the author's note almost seals it (having read something along those lines before).

So, just from the first chapter, we have Harry playing soccer to set up for Quiddich. It seems pointless at first, but I can understand it.

We have Harry playing the song "Hotel California" for no reason other than the fact that the author thought it was cool, alongside a promise of future jam sessions.

The grammar is one nigh-incoherent run-on after another. I seriously wanted to close it after the first sentence, it was so bad.

I'm going to let those who actually read beyond the first chapter give their rating, because it feels wrong giving a rating after reading so little. If I had to rate it on what I read, though...no more than 2/5.

4. dragaan

dragaan First Year

I checked using ctrl-F the list of fics for it and it wasn't there?
    If it has already been posted then I'll delete this thread.
    It was not in the list of fics, could you link the other one so I can verify please?

Copy of the list of fics part that started with "Harry Potter:"
    Harry Potter: Abjuration by Surarrin/Ferrovax (The Alternate's)

Harry Potter: Abjuration by Surarrin/Ferrovax (The Alternate's)

Harry Potter: An Ancient's Journey by Keiran Halcyon (The Alternates)

Harry potter: Apprentice by Songhamdragon (The Alternates)

Harry Potter: A Vampire's Curse by Abi2301 (Independent Harry)

Harry Potter: Enigma at Work by BlueMagikMarker (Independent Harry)

Harry Potter: Remixed by Bob-the-blue (The Alternate's)

Harry Potter: The New Life by SilverAegis (Time Travel Fics)

Harry Potter: The Rise of a Warrior by Cervus (Independent Harry)

Harry Potter: The Shadow Mage by SilverAegis (Independent Harry)

Harry Potter: The Sorcerer's Stoned by FanFictionFantom (Humoer/Parody)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  5. Hasty

Hasty Fourth Year

It was posted in the 'Harry/Fleur Community' thread so you may have seen it there. I don't have time to write a review at the moment but average pretty much sums this up.

2/5

6. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

I'm absolutely sure we had bashing session for this fic, although I can't find the thread. Most likely it's been deleted. No matter. As far as I remember, I gave this fic 2/5 last time around. Mediocore writing, lots of cliches. It was plain unrealistic too.

7. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

Yes it has been here before but the thread telling us so wasn't updated.

8. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

Having finished the first chapter, I have mixed feelings...

I like the idea of Harry having a thirst for knowledge, as it seems that with magic, the more you know about it, the better you are. Besides there is a realistic reason for it - to find a cure for his mother....

Now the thing that annoyed me... Harry playing the guitar because, as the author said "it's cool"... I have nothing against playing the guitar, hell, I'd like to be able to do so, but giving an excuse that's it's just cool?? Moreover Harry & Lily jam session? wtf is this, some kind of musical? It's a Harry Potter fic for fuck's sake....

However I'll give it a benefit of the doubt, so:

3/5

9. Longinus

Longinus Second Year

This fic was posted before by the the name : Knowledge is Power (not
    Harry Potter: Knowledge is Power). I am sure

10. Neo2b

Neo2b First Year

This fic has been posted before, the thread is just gone.

It's plain average, nothing special or noteworthy. 3/5

11. Methene

Methene Auror

The thread is not gone, merely forgotten by some. The story has come up during the early days of the Harry/Fleur community discussion. We did discuss it there, but I am pretty sure it never had its own thread.

For those who wish to see the commentaries go here.

12. Cathal

Nah, there was one. I'm positive. I even remeber ip82 saying he liked this fic.

13. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I'm pretty sure thats the one that IP sarcastically stated that it was good, with reasons on why it sucked so much.

Yes, it had its own thread, I remember posting in it quite clearly about the "Jam Sessions"

Wasn't good enough to go to the trash bin then and is not good enough to go there now.

14. dragaan

dragaan First Year

So should I delete this thread and how can I do that?

15. Cathal

You can't. Wait till it will be relocated or deleted by the moders/admins.

16. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

There was definitely another thread for this before. NOT the H/F community thread.

I know because I posted in it a few times about how wank it was, and the author changing the timeline to the 2000's but apparently he changed it back.

If it got deleted then it wasn't even good enough for the Trash Bin, so it shouldn't even get another chance here.

17. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

I seem to recall a thread for this too... ah well, didn't bother then but I went ahead and gave this a go, and found it lacking.

The author has good writing style and grammar. He can also write a killer story if anyone is familiar with his Naruto fic, though when it comes to HP... He should just stick to Naruto.

2/5 since Hippy!Harry isn't my thing.

18. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

According to one of the author's notes, Fleur won't be appearing for years. I usually don't read ANs but these are so morbidly amusing .

19. sequitur253

sequitur253 Muggle

I thought this was a pretty good fic once you get past the first chapter. There are of course flaws throughout but that's pretty much the case for any fic. For those who only read the first chapter and hated it, I would recommend at least looking at some of the later chapters to see if your opinions change. For those who read more than one chapter and still hated it well maybe I just have a weird taste for the type of fic I like. For those who have not read it at all and are reading the reviews to decide whether or not to read it, I would recommend giving it a try.

Overall I give it 4 out of 5.

20. Lemurian

Lemurian Squib

It's kind of a fun read. Nothing spectacular, but I like it so far. In all the author's notes he's constantly stated that many of the things that seem unnecessary do actually play a role in the story, so I'm taking his word on that for now. I don't mind the OC's, as there aren't that many. I'm also holding out for the Harry/Fleur. Can't wait for that stuff to hit.

I'd give it a 3/5.

Not open for further replies.