1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Magic through Telekinesis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nefar, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Good Afternoon! This is just a small concept that popped into my mind all of a sudden.

The basic question I want to ask is this: how many of the magical effects we've seen in Harry Potter could be replicated by a skilled Telekinesis user?

First, I'll define the level of Telekinesis possible as 'Far above observed Jedi Knights.' For example, if this TK user (let's say Bob) was on a beach, he could form a three dimensional picture out of the nearby sand. Think very detailed, although not able to use TK on stuff like photons. And TK only, nothing like conjuration.

Limitation on Bob's Telekinesis:
    • 20 Meter radius - beyond this, Bob can't do anything directly.
    • Bob can't run out of 'Mana/Magic points' - he doesn't get tired.
    • Bob doesn't need to see things to manipulate them.
    • The bright shiny effects can be ignored in this scenario.

So how many spell effects could Bob replicate? If there's a person within 20 meters of Bob, what spell effects from the HP universe could he duplicate.

I've thought of a couple off the top of my head. Stupefy yes, just pinch a nerve in the brain for a second, or something like that. Wingardium Leviosa, of course.

Any thoughts, if you're bored?

2. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

Any physical magic? Of course... All 'Bob' would have to do is control the atoms... Thinks such as Potroni etc are a no-no, they are conjured and as you say, conjuration is a different brand...

Interesting topic, but would he be able to do things such as 'obliviate' or 'Ligilimes'???

3. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Dark-Stallion writes:
    Well that's what I'm trying to figure out - how much of HP magic can be done with TK. Perhaps instead we should list things that can't be done, like Patroni.

4. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

Well first you'd have to find someone who can perform telekinesis...

5. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Err... 'Bob?' This thread isn't supposed to be about the TK user, but how TK could compare to HP magic.

You do realize that you would also have to find a wizard too, right?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Off the top of my head I can label out any sort of mind control, controlling the body like Voldemort did to Harry in the graveyard, yes, but controlling the thoughts would be beyond it.

Second would be conjuration, in the technical sense, as conjuration is creating something out of nothing. Even if the telekinetic was able to manipulate the atoms in the air/surrounding area to create an object it would still be transfiguration, not conjuration.

In a technical sense again Avada Kedavra would be beyond the scope of telekinesis as well, because the AK just kills a person, no cause of death other than the curse, while telekinesis would have to cause a blood clot in the brain or break the neck of a person. That shows a cause of death and thus cannot be Avada Kedavra.

All the physical magicks can be mimicked by accurate enough telekinesis, things like pyro/cryokinesis are a matter of speeding up/slowing atoms in a certain area. Transfiguration can be done as long as the necessary elements/molecules are in the area to combine, assuming the user is capable of such a feat of control.

Aekiel

7. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    Well, lets get the obvious ones out of the way first, shall we? Banishing and Summoning would be, without a doubt, easily replicated by a person with TK. Shields are also fairly easy to do, as is any levitation spell.

On a more creative line, cutting spells could be replicated with sufficient control of the TK. Immolation could also be done, or at least lighting fireballs in mid-air. Simply create a shield and compress it until the pressure reaches the point at which the oxygen simply combusts. By that token, cooling spells could be done as well, create a small field and expand it until the desired temperature is reached.

And as for failing to replicate the Killing curse? Not quite. With sufficient control, you could simply shield a person's arteries and prevent blood from getting anywhere. Or stop up their airways, things like that. Admittedly, the arteries one would likely cause arteries to burst, and the air blocking would cause asphyxiation...hmm... In retrospect, those can all be diagnosed with an autopsy. So I guess there really is no way for TK to replicate the seemingly causless death of the Avada Kedavra

8. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

First of all:
    Telekineses is not telepathy. None of the mind arts apply.

Second:
    It might be possible for Bob to completely stop any part of the body from moving, including the blood and stuff. That would basically be the same as an AK. Though I don't know why he'd bother. Just crush their heart or something.

Depending on how small a thing he can manipulate, he may be capable of Full Metal Alchemist alchemy. They use all the same materials when they turn stuff into other stuff.

He may also be able to control temperature, if he can control the molecules of the air. Fire too.

You ruled out particles, though. That rules out quite a lot.