1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry vs Grindelwald

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Tellemicus Sundance, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Tellemicus Sundance

Tellemicus Sundance Backtraced

Foreword
    Okay, I'm going to try this again. For anyone who wants to rant to me about how this is just another stupid idea of mine, please have the courtesy to PM my FF.Net account and not waste everyone's time here.

My latest challenge idea has a number of inspirations. And, before anyone starts yelling at me about it, I got this first idea from reading 'Dark Apprentice' by padawann lynne, a long time ago.

The Differences
    1) Grindelwald won the duel against Dumbledore in WWII and took his identity
    2) Grindelwald secretly managed to create a Philosopher's Stone
    3) Voldemort really did die when he tried to kill Harry (his Horcruxes didn't work in the manner that he'd intended them to)

My Tentative Timeline
    What follows is in no way part of the challenge, it is merely my personal interpretation of what those above changes could've led to.

Since he is immortal as long as he has the Elixir of Life, Grindelwald plans to create identities for himself who will live normal lifespans and will possess power and prestiege that will allow him to remain the dominant power in all of the Wizarding World.
    His first attempt at creating a new identity to replace Albus' aging persona was Tom Riddle. However, due to the type of encouragement that Grindelwald was feeding him, Tom became Voldemort. In the battle against Voldemort, Grindelwald's influence dramatically increased, making him the leader in all but name of the WW.
    Voldemort really did die when he tried killing Harry. Grindelwald, seeing that young Harry would be a great wizard one day, began making plans for turning him in a fighter that would rule the battlefields. Excluding Sirius' escape, Grindelwald crafted all of Harry's run-ins with 'Voldemort', giving Harry a powerful foe to which he had to become strong in order to overcome. All in the name for the greater good.
    In the war and after 'Dumbledore's death, Grindelwald took up a more active role playing Voldemort until Harry finally came to face him. After 'Voldemort's death, Grindelwald attempted to kill Harry and take his identity for himself.

Of course, Harry managed to escape and that sets up the stage for a more active Grindelwald vs Harry. Clearly, this story could take place quite well as a post-Hogwarts, but I think it could also work fairly well from anywhere between OotP to DH.

Notes
    As long as the author keeps to the general three guidelines listed above, this challenge is a pretty loose and open one.
    I request that the author please inform me when they start posting, since I would like to read it as well.

2. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

So you find it OK to waste everyone's time here by posting your challenge, but we should not waste our time by posting our opinion?

3. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This is a pretty cool idea; much better than the other challenge you posted. But just to be clear: Harry sees Dumbledore hit with the Killing Curse by Snape, then Grindelwald becomes Voldemort up until the point that Voldemort is killed by Harry - or is the last part something that doesn't take place at all? I don't know why Grindelwald would suddenly take over Dumbledore's persona after killing him - and get away with it - but I suppose if that particular scene was written well enough it would work.

Anyway, I like the thought, even if I think the execution would be difficult. It's still something I'd like to see done.

EDIT: World, give the dude a break. Let him assimilate into the system; he'll figure out how to get along with the other members as he goes.

4. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

The Skitterleap by enembee. It's fairly similar to your idea in the sense that Grindelwald wins the duel with Dumbledore, though he doesn't take his identity.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

For anyone who wants to rant to me about how this is just another stupid Ban of mine, please STFU and GTFO. Kthxbai.

6. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Are you serious?

They're nothing alike and I look at you in contempt, sir, for such a thought.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

8. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

A stupid ban is a stupid ban... Saying Tits or GTFO isn't going to change that.

But yeah, he was kinda annoying.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, I'm with you on this one Vash.

10. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

This. I'm certainly not sad to see this guy go. Way too presumptuous. We have to respond to your challenge via pm? I think not.

11. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

lol Arrogant little prick, wasn't he? Rant about it PMwise my ass! It's not a bad idea though, but I wonder how Gellert will take on all those ideas besides using Pollyjuice.

12. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

If anyone's read Dark Apprentice, which, unfortunately I have, hes pretty much asking for someone to rewrite it and change the ending to Harry escaping, rather than defeating Grindelwald.

While I'd like some more good fics which have Grindelwald as a strong force, I dont like this challenge :S

Maybe Harry in a world being ravaged by Grindelwald and Voldemort, or something.

13. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Aw, Vash. You just removed one of my sources of amusement at DLP.

14. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

You know, he's probably going to join spacebattles(Or some other one) now and start bitching about DLP with that Hundredaire chap. He might even write fic about it :awesome. So, your entertainment is not all gone.

15. turtle7

turtle7 Backtraced

How would Grindelwauld ever figure out how to do the twinkly blue eye thing?

Fraud alert!

16. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Wow, you're on a fucking spree. Calm down, dude. I really don't need my inbox flooded because you decide to make a dozen one liner responses to threads in just a few minutes.