1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever cried whilst reading a fanfiction?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luther, Sep 26, 2016.

?

Have you cried while reading fanfiction?

1. Yes, my eyes leaked a little

69 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. Yes, I cried a river

23 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. No. Weeping over words... what madness!?

34 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. No, but I've weeped over words written by professional writers

19 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. Luther

Luther Squib

Not really a reason behind asking, just wondering. Personally I have, both times I read Stages of Hope. Not sure why I didn't think it was that good but whatever. .anyways

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

No, I haven't even cried with the original books let alone fanfiction.

Then again, I'm not that emotional.

3. StudentPanaKleksa

StudentPanaKleksa First Year

High Score:
    I've never cried whilst reading any kind of fiction.

But I was very, very sad when certain character died in Alexandra Quick series.

4. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I cried when Draco delared his love for Ebony Dark'ness Raven Way. It was very romantic.

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel like I've probably had a moist eye at some point but it was probably when my standards were far lower a long time ago.

Inb4 "moist eye - lol harem smutfic."

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I've had moist eyes before while reading, maybe a single tear (lol). More commonly in original works than in fanfiction, but rare all around. Actual crying though? No.

That said... I can't think of any of the exact instances where it happened.

Maybe at one point in this science fiction short story, but only the first time I read it... and maybe even only because of my mood?
    http://www.skyhunter.com/marcs/GentleSeduction.html

I know it's happened before in novels and once or twice while reading fanfiction. But I can't think of examples.

I don't think I ever got moist eyes in Harry Potter canon or the Dresden Files. There's emotionally charged moments, sure, but not of the right type. If I'm going to tear up while reading it's probably because something was 'touching' in just the right way to push my buttons, not because something sad or horrific happened.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I remember feeling fairly devastated when I was 13 and read this terribad fic where Harry's american transfer student turned out to be the descendant of Ravenclaw, and some magical curse shit happened and she died when her body was torn apart by a dragon being reborn.

A few years later I remember a Hogwarts Era time travel fic where Harry boned Ravenclaw's daughter (the Grey lady) and then eventually returned to his normal time, only to find out that the Grey lady was his past lover and etc, etc.

I was amused when it turned out that they got the Grey Lady bit right.

8. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I shed a manly tear during a certain event in the later volumes of Stephen King's DARK TOWER - but no, not in fanfiction. I think reading it on the screen might take something from that, actually - a small disconnect.

9. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've cried from laughing too much, a few times. I can't remember which ones did it, but I know it's happened.

Don't think I've ever cried from being upset due to fanfiction though.

10. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, never cried from reading anything.

11. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Not that I can recall.

12. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Erm. You know. Once. I can remember the two stories that ever made me tear up, it wasn't sobs but it was a few tears.

One was Phillip Pullmans dark materials. The other was the fan fiction. 'Three' about Percy Jackson and annabeth.

I get a bit watery eyed at things, particularly as I grow older. I find the more relatable something is the more it affects me. Love lost, parents dying, etc. These two stories though are the only times the confluence of whatever factors all met up at the right time.

Then again, if something hits me just right, I can get the same thing over advert jingles so yeah, whatever.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  13. Razahir

Razahir Squib

High Score:
    I can't say I've cried or anything like that. I do recall faintly (once, or twice) pulling an Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader and shouting, 'NOOOOOOO!' to the high heavens(Never do it at around midnight, or parents/brothers may hammer on door telling you to shut up).

14. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I've had a few tears leaked when I feel very invested in a character, and it doesn't always happen with strictly good (fan)fiction. There's a certain number of things that really get to me, and occasionally the author will stumble his way into one.

15. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

One time that I recall was when reading a Legend of Korra fic and Pabu died. :( It was of old age but still.

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've never outright sobbed at anything fictional. As I get older, I do find myself getting more emotional with things though. I've maybe had to blink a bit of dust out of my eyes with the occasional fanfic, although nothing leaps to mind right now.

17. mort

mort Groundskeeper

I think Cauterize was a bit touching, but I really can't think of any other piece of fanfiction. Like some of the above though, I feel like I have been getting a bit more emotional with things (books, movies, news etc.) as time passes, but I can't think of a particular book that has made me tear up right now (not the HP series though).

18. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I remember tearing up with Sirius died, but I was like thirteen.

The only other time I remember is when I was reading this one book. Average overall, but near the end, the protagonist ends up on a raft in the middle of an alternate dimensional sea. His only companion is his housecat, who he’s brought through the entire story and however many hotel rooms and apartments they’ve been in while on the run. The protagonist, knowing he needs to confront the antagonist while also knowing he’ll surely die, creates a smaller raft and places his cat on it, then sends it out to sea. It’s the only hope for his cat, and he watches as the raft gets smaller, the cat confused and terrified, and I start bawling.

The protagonist survives the battle and rescues his cat. If he hadn't, I'd have burned the book.

19. Stan

Stan Order Member

I've gotten misty eyed a few times. Cauterize, Backward with Purpose, Not From Others etc.

20. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, years ago but I can't recall for what.