1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HBO's Rome (Series)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Xiph0, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I followed this last year, and was stunned.

They took a lot of liberty, but for a Drama, it was stunningly brilliant.

I think casting Max Pirkis as Octavius was one of the best castings they've done, and can't wait till he slices Caeser's Mistress's throat.

(Anyone else seem unnerved by that glare he gave her when she said She was going to have his mum killed?)

The torture scene where he says "I dont know.. cut off his thumbs or something :shink!: " Also powerfully stunning.

I can't wait for Season 2 to start ('07)

Anyone else been following it?

2. vorenus

vorenus Squib

Haven't seen first season but seconds on veoh and stage6

3. Methene

Methene Auror

Vorenus, you have necro-ed a thread that is more than a year old. That is ill-advised. Plus, it is considered good form to post an introduction thread, so we may get to know you. Please do so here. Also, it is a good idea to check the sticky'ed thread of Sree's introduction here.

To the rest, I do not generally condone necro posting, nor do I want to add onto it, but I think we can get this discussion started again. Perhaps even get some Rome fanfiction going...

I liked Octavian's character, but I did not like the new actor they had put in. They could have kept the old one and simply cut his hair or do something else to show him more mature.

Strangely enough, I really liked the idea of Octavia/Octavian, not to mention that the ''you fucked your sister you little pervert'' line was brilliant. I despised Servillia, but I sympathized with Brutus and Cassius. I too am very reluctant to change and a great fan of tradition.

I was a bit peeved that they canceled the series, since the season 2 ending seemed rather abrupt and rushed. In my opinion, they could have gone much further with the Octavian/Mark Antony war, and I would have loved to see a season dealing with the Romans during the Empire times. Even though it was camouflaged to look like the Republic, the Empire was in full bloom and those times were the golden years of the Empire.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I just saw the first episode like 2 days ago. It was pretty cool. I like it how they realistically presented Roman moral values and society, instead of making a show about Americans dressed in togas. Slavery, orgies, public sex, vulgar sense of humor, rape, brutality - and yet, a civilization built around it all. Brilliant.

As for the plot, it's too early to tell (only seen one episode), but it seemed like standard semi-historic stuff to me. Maybe a bit too many characters, but I guess there's no escaping it in a story like this.

5. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

Rome is probably one of the best series on television that I have watched. HBO realistically presents ancient Rome; Slavery, orgies, public sex, vulgar sense of humor, rape, brutality. Yet they also show the civilised side of Romans.

The characters of Lucius Vorenus are Titus Pullo are one of the best duo around. They each complete the other by being exact polar opposites. Their role shifts in Season 1 and 2 are fabulous.

The acting was pretty strong. Kevin McKidd's acting in Son Of Hades (Season 2) is the one that really jumped at me.

I have nothing, but good things to say about Rome. My only regret was that it got cancelled after Season 2.

Homer

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007