1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HBP - A Better Movie Than Book?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Silens Cursor, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I know, beyond any doubt, that a trailer can taint expectations of a movie, but for once, I'm holding out a glimmer of hope.

The newest trailer of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was released today (link is here), and I'm not going to lie when I say it was pretty damned good. Of course there were the gag-worthy 'romance' scenes, but if the trailer is any reflection on the movie (which for God's sake I hope it is), the action will outweigh the romance twenty-to-one.

Even with having the book in regards to general plot, I'm thinking that some of those 'pacing scenes' people were complaining about might not be too bad any more, considering the things they're planning on adding all look fairly good (as in scenes I wish they included in the book).

Highlights (for those too disillusioned with the HP movies to go and look) of the trailer are:

• -some fairly good special effects for the cave (and that fire spell that Dumbledore looks like he's using is looking better than ever)
    • -a brief scene where Hermione is smacking Ron with a textbook out of sheer jealousy (which is lulzy, if anything)
    • -the one-liner 'These girls, they're gonna kill me, Harry.' (from Ron, sadly, although the fact that Ron's sleeping on the floor is an interesting implication - looks like somebody got kicked out of bed...)
    • -a scene of the Brockdale Bridge collapse - which I'm going to say looking pretty fucking awesome, if it's pulled off correctly (although why they're using a footbridge instead of something with motor vehicles still pisses me off)
    • -a scene of some nice chaos and screaming in Diagon Alley, and if I'm not mistaken a shot of Fenrir Greyback in there too (a scene extremely refreshing for me, considering I just wrote a Diagon scene in my WiP (see sig for link))
    • -a shot of Katie Bell's encounter with the opal necklace, which has the benefit of looking refreshingly creepy (as it should)
    • -first shots of Inferi... eh, I've seen better zombies, but they look as refreshingly pathetic as canon
    • -first clip of the Harry vs. Malfoy fight in the bathroom - and it's already looking excellent, considering how fucking angry the both of them appear
    • -more shots of the attack on the Burrow (why am I thinking that scene is going to be one of the best in the movie, and Rowling never wrote it?). Oh baby, the Weasleys' house is going up flames, and it's looking good.
    • -Malfoy looks refreshingly pathetic on the top of the Astronomy Tower
    • -Unsure as of yet about Narcissa, but Bellatrix acting crazy at Hogwarts is definitely a welcome addition
    • -first shots of the fight between Harry and Snape - they aren't looking bad, but they aren't looking great either. I want to see Alan Rickman get as angry as Snape was supposed to have gotten, and I haven't seen enough evidence of that yet
    All in all, a very solid trailer. I swear, if WB keeps this up, I might develope expectations for this movie.

2. Qwerty

Qwerty Second Year

Above all, I'm looking forward to seeing Dumbleodre stuffing it.

3. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

If they can't make the movie better than the book, they need to find some new jobs.

Worst of the seven, IMO

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  4. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

You should probably rephrase that, Qwerty.

But yeah, I have some...moderate...expectations for this movie.

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I nearly cried at Dumbledore's death. :'(

6. Boo

Boo Auror

They look like Gollum from LotR

7. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

A. This = decent trailer

B. Decent trailers = sucky movies

C. This = sucky movie

Math.

8. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I've said this since the end of Half blood prince repeatedly and I'll say it again.

The Movie can only be better than the book.
    Same for the next movie.

Say what you will about the movies, but the WB knows how to sell a plot.

9. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I'm with JB on this one...

I could really do without the ginger kissing scenes, but other than that, the trailer was decent.

Too bad the most I'll ever see of this movie will be a cam rip.

I mean...

I do not in any way condone illegal activities.

10. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Trailer was awesome, gives me high expectations for the film which methinks will leave me most disappointed. I think the HP movies are just about the only ones I'll ever actually pay to go see.

11. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

That isn't maths.

12. Portus

Portus Heir

It's very refreshingly refreshing.

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

STRONG MATHs, BRAH'

/ghey-ness

Skinny Slughorn still pisses me off. To not include characters is one thing (Bill Weasley). To sorta fuck up casting is another thing (pretty much everyone but the first Dumbledore). But to blatantly make a character look so different is annoying as shit.

Have they not seen the Nutty Professor in England? Have they not heard of Jared Leto?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  14. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I saw a picture of Dumbledore on IMDB yesterday and it really looks like they've gayed him up.

The book read like it was written with the sole intention for a film adaptation, it feels like are more detailed film script. That said, I can barely remember what happened in the book these days and for me thats a good thing cause it was shit and one thing is for sure: the films bastardise the books so much that hopefully there will little of the books shitness left in the film. (besides That horrible scene with Ginny)

15. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm a bit sceptical on that front. I believe they put as many action in the trailer to sell it better. So while there will be quite a bit of action, "twenty-to-one" is wishful thinking. (Yes, I know it was an exaggeration -.-)

I'm still annoyed at that apparition thing, the trailer gave me the impression that Muggles can see them doing it, which is just stupid.

16. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

I lol'd. You beat me to it :)

It doesn't look half as bad as I'd feared. Of course, it could be a trap.
    I really hope they don't mess up the Tom memories scenes, and the fight at the end.

Bellatrix at Hogwarts with the other DE isn't canon IIRC, but moar Bella can't hurt.

Also, flying!BlackTrail!Death Eaters are still failing.

17. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Nah, the fail of it is that JKR saw it in the movie and went "OMG YES!@!111!" and put the flying part in DH.

18. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Really? I thought only Voldemort flew in DH, and I attributed that to him being brilliant.

19. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Muggles could always see magic in HP, couldn't they? Unless explicitly blocked, like the Leaky Cauldron or Hogwarts, of course. Hmm, come to think of it, I can't remember any scene in the books where magic is used in front of muggles - except perhaps PS, where Dudley gets a tail.

20. Boo

Boo Auror

SS- Dudley gets tail
    CS- Flying car over London
    POA- Fat flying Aunt
    GoF- Camp site attendent
    OotP- Dementor
    HBP- DE attacks
    DH- DE attacks

Obliviators take care of muggles who see magic. I think in HBP Fudge says that they were working over time just to keep thing under the radar.

The Apparition thing bugs me too. In the books its just pop in and pop out. In the movies its cloud travel. They can travel like that when running after someone.