1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HD Problems, please help.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by MysterioX, Aug 27, 2008.

1. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

I come before the Computer Gods in need of help and advice.

My problem: I bought an Acer Aspire 6920G yesterday, the HD was supposed to be 250GB but it's not. There's C drive which is around 111.44 and D's 107.30 approx, while I know that it'll never be the exact stated amount it has definitely got to be more than 218.74.
    Disk management tells me that there are another 2 volumes one exactly 10.00 GB and the other 3.54, they are under some sort of EISA configuration. What the fuck are they for? Can I delete them without causing problems?

And please tell me a program that'll let me combine a selected amount of space from each drive into a seperate basic drive.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'd reccomend you don't delete them.

One probably holds the recovery partition.

Believe me when I say it's a fucking bitch to reformat Acer laptops.

3. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

How long do you plan on keeping Vista? (the computer did ship with Vista?)

Does the D drive have any files or anything on it?

From what I remember, EISA is used by brands to boot the brands choice of o/s recovery at the boot menu... If that made any sense at all.

I think Vista comes with a way to re-size partition sizes built in. I never used Vista for very long, so I am not too sure about that. And how to use it if it is true. I really should get a Vista image from someone...

I want to say that 10 GB one is a clean image of the O/S as it comes from the factory. 3.5 one probably is used to boot to it.

Does Acer have a way for you to make backup CD/DVD's of the current O/S? If I remember right it would take 14 CD's or 2 DVD's to make a backup of a lady's HP laptop she brought in.

4. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

Yes it came with Vista Home prem and I plan to keep it that way.

D's not empty and yes it did ask for 14 CDs or 2 DVDs the first time I used it to create a back up I ignored it.

Does this mean if I was to format the C drive It'll then automatically be able to setup Vista again?

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

-shrugs.-

I reformatted my Acer Aspirer a few months back.

XP and Vista refused to work on it again, even after I slipstreamed the laptop drivers onto the setup disc.

I wanted linux on it, but at my mums request I tried XP and then Vista, neither worked as I said. I ende dup trying Mandriva, didn't work. I ended up using Ubuntu, and even then the wireless didn't work.

In the end I ended up buying a wireless card, despite the built in wireless.

Moral of the story; Don't fuck with laptops unless you know what you're doing.