1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Headphones

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by AceOfSpades, Jul 12, 2013.

1. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

To all those who utilize headphones for gaming and music I need some opinions. I recently (last night) broke my headset, Logitech H390's, by accidental cord destruction. That is, the USB connection was torn and separated from the cable itself.

Now I find myself on the quest for new headphones. What do you guys use, what do you recommend? My needs are that they be over-the-ear, decently rugged, and that they have a mic. I've a budget of 300USD, and so far am quite partial to the V-MODA Crossfade M-100's. They don't have a mic though.

Thanks

2. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm more into the music stuff than the gaming stuff, so take this with a pinch of salt. Have a buddy with a pair of Sennheiser 598s, and holy shit, mindblowingly good. They run for 200 or 250, iirc.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

http://www.head-fi.org/ is the first and last place I look for headphone information. They've got information on just about every headphone out there.

Their Headphone Buying Guide starts out with this gold: In general it's best to avoid products made by Skullcandy, Bose, Beats, or Monster unless otherwise specified in this thread. These companies spend a lot of money on advertising and looks rather than quality. That isn't to say these companies haven't put out headphones worth buying, the Monster Turbine Coppers are actually fantastic IEMs, it's just that a lot of the time you're paying a premium for the name.

This is another good comparison of 100+ headphones by price range: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/

Good example: Open Headphones - Sennheiser HD598, $175-$250. Looks fantastic, good comfort. Warm laid back sound signature. Decent bass impact and extension, smooth mids, slightly rolled off highs.

I didn't see any reviews for Logitech gear, maybe head-fi are snobby towards them or I was just looking in the wrong section.

There's plenty of good discussions to. Example, one guy bought the V-MODA Crossfade M-100s, but his ears are too big for it so he was looking to sell them. Apparently V-MODA are releasing larger earpads for the M-100; so keep an eye on that if you want those 'phones.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    Oz, Ched, Nae
  4. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Recently bought a Razer Kraken, and it's working very well.

5. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

I personally use a Sennheiser PC360. It's quite excellent. Though more oriented for gaming, it's still very good for music/movies.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  6. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I have Sony... somethings. Good sound, comfortable to wear, and considering how hard I am on them, very resilient.

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have a Turtle Beach X12 that's served me well for nearly two years. Good mic, long cord, compatible with 360 and PC. Only issue with them is that the sound quality is starting to go when I near the max volume threshold, but that's just a case of me playing them at max volume for too long at a time.

You can pick up a set for < $100, oftimes closer to $50.

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've got these. They were around $25 at Wal-Mart, they sound good and they've lasted three-ish years now even after dropping them a million times. No microphone though.

9. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

Ever thought about a good bluetooth headset? No fucking cable- salate anymore, no ripped out or broken strings of copper.

10. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Ugh... you know, I tend to put my headphones through a LOT of wear and tear (used to go through a pair every six months), so I finally put some money down and bought some Bose IE2s that are suiting me fine for now.

But here's the thing: I know enough about audio codecs to know that if I'm using my headphones with my iPod and iTunes, there's a cap on how 'good' I'm going to be able to get the track to sound without shelling out ridiculous amounts on headphones - and given my headphone turnover rate, I can't justify that. If my iPod had the capacity to play FLACs, I'd be more interested or more careful with my headsets, but that's just not an option at this point.

EDIT: god, I fucking hate Bluetooth headsets. Not only do they continue to look stupid (honestly, I don't think they ever have NOT looked stupid), but I've never had consistent sound quality out of them.

11. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

1) There are enough bluetooth headsets that don't look "stupid". Many are actually quite stylish, like this one:

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/images/products/120000/124332/1.jpg

2) Consistent sound quality... well, if you are running around in your flat, problems with the connection shouldn't be a surprise. But just sitting still, listening or playing or whatever... just as good as cable, imho.

12. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

As an owner of a Beats Studio by Dr. Dre, I can say to you, don't buy them. The bass is shit, static problems near PCs and they don't muffle the sound at all. They are very pretty and cool, but are at most good gaming phones, any dialogue on them sounds excellent, the rest, not so much. And they are merely decent music ones, like I said, the bass problem.

Buy a Sennheiser, the quality is superb. Some say it's a fragile, but how I never owned one, just listened to them, I don't know.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Silens is probably thinking of something like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Bluetooth_headset.jpg

I have a set of Turtle Beach PX3s. Sound quality and mic are good, and they're pretty comfy even after hours and hours of use, but I wouldn't personally recommend them for use with a PC. They're designed with PS3 in mind first and it shows in that when I plug the pre-amp in to use, I have to flick the switch between XBox/PS3 back to PC once or twice to get them to be recognised (and you can't change sound profiles). A minor inconvenience but an inconvenience nonetheless. A model deisgned for PC might be better, or look into astro or something.

Head-fi is the place to look for advice though, they've reviews (by people who know wtf they're talking about) on pretty much any set of headphones out there.

14. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Well for gaming I prefer the Logitech G9 Series. The G930 is wireless and is brilliant and the G35 is wired and brilliant. Though I am having some issues with the drivers I thoroughly recommend them.

15. coleam

coleam Death Eater

I have a pair of Denon D2000s that I love to death. They sound great with the music I like, and they work well for games and movies too. Unfortunately, I think they discontinued them for a newer model.

If you get something without a mic, one of these should do the trick. Mine works great.

16. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

nvm.
    /10 char

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Recently bought my sister headphones and did a bunch of research for it. What seemed to consistently stand out in reviews were the Audiotechnica ATH-M50. They outperform a lot of headphones that are significantly more expensive (like my older Sennheiser HD555s).

Note that they are music headphones (no mic for gaming) and they're monitoring headphones (so expect a flat frequency response - no boost in bass like a lot of headphones have).

With a lot of the big brands (Bose, Sennheiser, etc), I feel their lower and mid end models aren't that great and very overpriced. It makes sense if you go for their $300+ stuff, but under that it seems like you can get better for half the price.

18. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

Thanks for your input guys. After a lot of shuffling through Head-Fi I came down to the Superlux HD681's which are cheap but with stunning reviews, some even proclaiming them better than the ATH M50's. The standard set is about 30$ while a slightly nice set of the same kind (EVO's) are about 60$. Now I am just trying to decide which one I like the look of better.

Superlux HD681

Superlux HD681 EVO

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Huh. You have a budget of $300 set aside for this and yet are impressed by a $30 pair?

Now I'm tempted to buy them if they're that awesome. Thanks for the links.

20. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Huh, just when I busted my headphones today this thread shows up. I use mine almost solely for my ipod so all the ones I've gotten for years are ear-buds. I've used Skull-Candy mostly because there's alot of sales at the FYI in town and they show up alot.

So barring Skull-Candy, what would you guys recommend for ear-buds mostly for music?