1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Hear Me Roar by willywalkerstrikesagain - T - ASOIAF/LOTR

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Puzzled, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Title: Hear Me Roar: The Lannisters in the War of the Ring
    Author: willywalkerstrikesagain
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    Fandom: ASOIAF/LOTR
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary:A magical event brings the Westerlands and its rulers House Lannister to Middle Earth just before the War of the Ring. Will the Lannisters find what little good is in their hearts or will they be corrupted into darkness and doom the world of men?
    Link: FFN SB AH

So this has been updating fairly regularly for the last six months, it's at a quarter million words, and I think it's time it's considered for the library.

As the summary states the base plot is that House Lannister of ASOIAF along with their territory is transported from the very beginning of the War of Five Kings to just before the beginning of the Lord of the Rings. The culture clashes as well as the impacts adding a new race of Men to the world are very well done and the author keeps a steady flow of adventure while showing a different side of many characters. There are so few good LOTR stories that this one being so solid makes it even better, I'd recommend that if you have any interest in either setting you give it a shot.

5/5

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I tried reading this some time ago, but stopped halfway through chapter one at the incredibly awkwardly worded letter from Tywin to Steward Denethor. I might have to give it another go if it's good enough to warrant your praise.

3. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So I haven't read much of the ASOIAF (I think the first two, maybe two and a half?), haven't watched any of the series, and haven't read LOTR (although I have seen the films, repeatedly). So I have no idea if all the characters are as they should be in canon, but they seem to be okay from what little I know. That said, I think you'd need some passing familiarity with most of the characters, but a half hour wiki-walking, or asking a fan of the show, will probably be enough.

The Middle-Earthlings all seem very... puritanical? I don't know whether that is from canon, or a reasonable interpretation of canon, but numerous times the different Men of Gondor/Eorlingas have blushed at the idea of sleeping with a whore, and the Andals have been amused at the natives for their prudishness (although never remarked on as such).

I do like that the author doesn't seem to be too bad about punishing characters they hate, unless they don't hate any of the Lannisters, because there isn't really a single character who is continuously crap at everything and really stupid. There's a bit of it going in the opposite direction, but things haven't gotten really bad yet.

The story is ~250K in, and the Fellowship has just escaped Moria, so I don't know how much longer this is all going to be going on for, but I think that now things have been set in motion, and the author is taking things seriously, the pace will pick up a bit. There's a lot of world-building to do initially, but that's mostly over with now.

Typos have been coming in less and less as the story goes on, but a common one the author makes is forgetting to re-open speech -

This is annoying, and means you have to re-read the line, but quite easy to figure out.

It's a good story, but I don't think it's brilliant. 3.5, rounded down to 3/5