1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Heir to Nothing but Herself by dirgewithoutmusic - k

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Stan, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Order Member

Title: Heir to Nothing but Herself
    Author: dirgewithoutmusic
    Rating: K
    Words: 3,056
    Published: 21 Feb 2014
    Library Category: General
    Pairing: Ginny/Harry
    Link: Link
    Summary:
    A well written character piece. I like the writing style -- there's some delightful turn of phrase in there. Aside from that, the story is generally well constructed, and it covers most of the important stuff, with emphasis on the Chamber of Secrets and its aftermath.

There is also a kinda-sequel to this, another oneshot titled Scattering Blooms at Her Watery Grave.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  2. Armani

Armani Second Year

This story was a little bit on the confusing side, but, Inliked the writing style a lot. It was something new, and something that I rarely see nowadays, it just sort of keeps you hooked, in the edge. Overall, a very good story, though I didn't exactly get the point of it, I would still rate it a 4.5/5.

3. Jesonomi

Jesonomi Squib

High Score:
    I don't recall reading many stories that expand upon that canon but this one was particularly nice. Delving into a character that doesn't seem to be expanded on very often, and the sense of time passing in the world as the thoughts go by, it's a nice change. The thoughts were immersive and felt like they could be real. Connections between Harry and Ginny support the eventual pairing, and elevate it from its less than concrete foundations in the canon. 4/5

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  4. inshooteki

inshooteki Squib

If this had been any other author, this story probably would have come out sounding like a outline or a list. There's very little substance in this fic, both in plot and and in narrative.

The way it's structured reminds me of children's stories. All actions, thoughts, and statements. There's no underlying questions or foreshadowing, it's just "see spot, see spot run".

There's a line in the first book about the trio being friends because they had fought a troll together. I think that line is what was so magical about the first book, and this story tries very hard to capture that same magic. However, for every sentence that pushes the theme along there is another sentence that doesn't mean or do anything, a lot of sentences are just fluff and word count boosters, and that stops this fic from being a perfect, pointless oneshot.

4/5

5. ford123

ford123 Squib

I liked the style, as was already stated. Maybe a little bit to "fluffy" for me. Despite that, I enjoyed it. 4/5

6. m4n1

m4n1 Squib

High Score:
    Like everyone else, I liked the style overall and the topic seemed pretty unique. It also expands upon the aftermath of the CoS rather well. While its not something I'd reread, I can definitely appreciate the almost stream of consciousness aspect.
    4/5

7. Lysianda

Lysianda Squib

High Score:
    It is more a description of a mindset than a story. It is a very fine description though and deserves recognition. If you want something which makes Ginny a better character, or a character with substance this is it.

4/5

8. mickiboy5

mickiboy5 Squib

pretty good, not amazing but still good. 4/5

9. xobrandyxo123

xobrandyxo123 Squib

Just the fact that the realationship tag says Ginny/self care is a -1 for me. That being said, I did enjoy the writing style, although it seemed a bit too dramatic for me. 3/5

10. Lightningjoe

Lightningjoe Squib

Way better that reading about some wallflower version of Ginny, whose main purpose is to have a crush on Harry and act silly. 3/5