1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Hello Everyone, this is my introduction

Discussion in 'Introduction Archives [Closed]' started by Lady Emerald, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Lady Emerald

Lady Emerald Squib

Hi, my name is Lady Emerald. For some reason, I seem to be obsessed by the gems.

I finally made an account here after months of browsing through forums seeing which fanfics were worth the read. I loved reading pages and pages of debate, discussion and criticism, so I thought, why shouldn't I join now?

I am an avid Harry Potter fan and absolutely detest Twilight.

As a reader, I felt the HP series was written extremely well for a large amount of people. This is why I get really irritated when I visit an author's profile and see them dissing the series even though they write fanfiction for it.

I used to wonder if I happened to be the only HP fan who didn't think the Weasley family wasn't that great at all. Don't get me wrong, I kind of like them, but I'm not going to worship them like some people on FFN. I'm glad my theory isn't true. Dumbledore's okay, but he does too many things for his old age.

My favorite pairings are currently HHR, Harry/any girl other than Ginny, Lily/Snape, Draco/OC, and Hermione/ mostly any boy other than Ron. I think it's now clear that I do not like HG or RHr.

The Independent!Harry and Time Travel genres intrigue me as long as the authors keep updating regularly.

I dislike it when authors use text language in their own fanfics, or when the summary says, "I suck at summaries" and "the story is better". How do I know if the story is going to suck?

I live in Charlotte, North Carolina, and have for pretty much my entire life. It's a great city to live in.

As for music, I prefer country or any catchy tune my brain likes.

Books are one of my most favorite things in the world to look at apart from beautiful natural unmarred by humans.

I have yet to write any fanfiction yet, but I have quite a number of plots in my head. :p

2. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Your name is gay. Welcome.

3. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Your name is gay. Welcome.​

4. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler Prestige

High Score:
    Oh no.

So, here's the thing. Dumbledore rocks shit. The Weasley family is fine. I don't know where you see too many people writing good things about them... they seem to be the characters most people bash. Otherwise, your likes and dislikes are very generic.

Oh, and your name is gay. Welcome.

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

How can it be gay, if she is female? Also, I like emeralds too :3

...what? Green is my favourite colour :/

@OP: Feel free to post or feel free to lurk. Welcome. (Unexciting Intro gets an unexciting welcome).

6. Zennith

High Score:
    Geez, Sesc. Womenz can be gay too. So shortsighted.

7. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was a constructive and useful post. Congratulations.

Welcome OP, which books other than the Harry Potter series are you interested in?

As for fanfiction authors criticising JKR—

"The ultimate problem was that the first few books imply that the overall story would be about a boy growing up to be a hero, and what we ultimately got was the story about a patsy who was manipulated into fulfilling someone else's overly complicated scheme to preserve the status quo of a society that didn't deserve salvation." Discuss.

;D

8. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Fantastic quote.

That ^

Dumbledore is generally portrayed in fanfiction as an overbearing, manipulative, old fool, out to ruin lives and inflict his will upon others through brilliant but flawed (considering how many times Harry outwits him) machinations.

It's far more rare to find Dumbledore as a tired old man, aware of his fallibility, and sorry for the actions that he's had to take over the course of his life, but willing to take them anyway and pay the price in the end.

As a character Dumbledore is much like Voldemort in that he's very hit or miss when it comes to writing him. A few lines here or there can change a persons entire view of a character, Dumbledore can go from a caring old man to a scheming bastard in under ten words, and Voldemort can go from a brilliant strategist and villain to a complete fucking clown.

Since coming to DLP I've seen some of the best characterizations of Dumbledore the fandom has to offer, stick around and I'm sure you'll see a few versions of him that you like.

Personally, I've always seen Dumbledore as a HP version of Gandalf, in fact I struggle to picture him as anyone other than Ian McKellen.

Welcome.

Fuck up at your own peril.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  9. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

*coughPartiallyKissedHerocough*

Unfortunately, most fanfic writers on ff.net lack the brain cells required to write and plan this sort of characterization for Dumbledore.

JKR herself did that to her own characters.

10. Lindsey

Lindsey Order Member

Being one of the few active females on DLP (compared to the number of males), I always get excited when I see another female trying to join. But, then I saw your introduction.

You remind me of the majority of independent!Harry writers. I do not see why everyone hates the Weasleys and Dumbledore. Dumbledore is one of my favorite characters and has some of the greatest character depth in Harry Potter. The Weasley's have their problems but are a pretty realistic family. They all have their own faults but can be written to be amazing.

DLP does not just bash certain characters, they bash the way they can be written.

11. Lady Emerald

Lady Emerald Squib

Ok, I'm female but most definitely NOT gay.

Lots of the writing in FFN isn't that great, but some are absolutely amazing.

With the Weasleys in a good light, what about all the 'Nineteen Years Later' fics?
    Dumbledore and Voldemort are a hit and miss character for me because they are portrayed in so many ways. Same goes for the Black and Malfoy families.

I enjoy reading, so anything with a decent plot, characters, and lack of swear words is good for me. That's as general as I can get.
    I like Percy Jackson and Hunger Games for its action and suspense.

For pairings, I'm quite passionate about Harry/Bellatrix and Harry/OC. These are my current cravings.

12. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Give it time. ;)

Uh. Why?

13. Zennith

High Score:
    Yeah. I hate those motherfuckin swear words also.

14. Tenages

Tenages Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Fails to see what this has to do with the worth of the Weasley family.

15. Lady Emerald

Lady Emerald Squib

Well, mostly all of them are happy lighthearted stories with basically no plot but to get to the epilogue scene and paint them in a good way

---------- Post automerged at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Using swear words shows that the author cannot write any better and has a lack of better words

16. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Welcome, OP. Salutations, greetings, hello, konnichiwa, aloha, et cetera.

That's not necessarily true, you know. In the right context, it's excusable, and even effective. (I.E., dialogue for a character with a very bad mouth, due to his upbringing or current circumstances, or hell, even a curse that renders him unable to complete a single sentence without using horribly politically incorrect terminology.)

tl:dr, nothing's off limits, provided there's proper context- just because the author uses 'proper' language doesn't mean that they're any better a writer than another author who doesn't.

17. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Bullshit .

18. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

...Not me, right? D8

EDIT: I'm an idiot who can't read quotations. Herp. Derp.

19. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

This.

Especially if the character in question has a rather dry and sarcastic sense of humor.

(For example, upon seeing a killing curse heading towards him and he/she has no hope of escape; "Aw, shit.")

20. Lady Emerald

Lady Emerald Squib

Well, I'm talking about when people use it every way, shape or form for no reason. Using the f-word as a noun, verb, adjective and adverb pisses me off. I don't mind when it's in character for the person.