1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Here Be Monsters Trilogy by Dzeytoun - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by madeyemoody, Jul 9, 2006.

1. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

Title: Here Be Monsters I: Wizard's Lament
    Author: Dzeytoun
    Rating: PG 13
    Genre: Angst/Drama
    Category: General
    Pairing: none
    Summary: Albus Dumbledore has lived a very long time. But the summer following Harry's fifth year will see events to change his life forever.
    LINK: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1458772/1/

Title: Here Be Monsters II: Psalm of the Wolf
    Summary: In the summer after Harry's fifth year, Remus Lupin finds that the wolf is not the only monster within. Continuation of HBM I: Wizards Lament.
    OOTP Spoilers.
    LINK: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1716043/1/

Title: Here Be Monsters III: Womb of Lilith
    Summary:Albus Dumbledore knows that the monster within is called love. But in the summer after Harry's fifth year, it is the monsters without that threaten to sweep away all that is beautiful
    LINK: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2009767/1/

These are all Dumbledore Centric and I who only reads Harry centric stories was very pleasently surprised with them and to date they are the only ones I would read with this POV

First chapters are a bit bothersome to read with the split personalities but once accomadated to the format you'll enjoy it

Author: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/424644/ who has other stories as well

judge well

madeyemoody

P.s. props to nonjon for the help
    p.p.s. IP82 dont hate..... I know you have a anti-dumbledore fixation:)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I tried reading this. Angsty Dumbledore = crap in my book.

3. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    That line is just sick. Dumbles is angsty, and is a little too obsessed with Harry.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    poorly written and quite boring IMO

5. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

[​IMG]

my status at DLP

I guess I'm the only one who likes it, huh,.... oh well

6. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I used to like it, too. The guy can write! But it got boring and a bit repetitive after a while.

7. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

Only read the first one and it didn’t quite agree with my taste.

8. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I think the author is very good at the sort of story he's trying to write. But it takes a certain sort of mood for me to read fics like this.

They're really more like character studies, and it's simply the author writing from Remus and Albus's POV, seeing how tortured, painful, and angsty they can be pining for taking care of the poor shattered child-person Harry is. Both 'father' figures whine and moan about how difficult things are for Harry, how strong he is to soldier through it, and how much pain everyone's going through.

But written well enough and intriguing enough to suck you in. I think I read all three, and it felt more like Albus and Remus doing a variation of the vagina monologues more than a cohesive plot and storyline. Worth checking out though simply because it's so different from most everything else out there.

For the right people, you may love this kind of thing. For angst-haters who need their harry-centricity this will be too much for them.

9. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just realised I forgot to rate with my reply earlier, I would like to add, that I found the work awfully depressing for whatever reason.

10. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I didn't like them. Of course I'm not an angst fan, if you like that kind of thing go ahead and read it.

11. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    I'll give you props madeye for being brave enough for putting this story up. But then I have to smack you for not realizing this kind of story would be grilled.

I read this a long time ago and I have to say that I was really, really impressed. (Hey, this was way before I joined DLP) The description, general story flow and brownie points for clencher deep dialogues are just simply amazing. It would be awesome if someone can make a Dumbledore like this without the extra angst.

And that brings us to the downsides, which are MAJOR problems. The amount of angst is ridiculous and this series features possibly the MOST pathetic Harry ever. Believe me, he is that pathetic and possibly more...

*shrugs* It's true. On the plus side, this author has a really good side story about how Severus is dropped like third period French because Dumbledore found a "son to love". It draws parallels to a legend about how Lucifer felt when he tattletailed on humans only to get smacked around by God. Now that was good. :p

12. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I actually like it - don't kill me - and I've always loved a Harry that needs parenting.

Except when it's snape of course.

I'm a fan of mushy parenting love, what can I say...

13. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I really didn't like this story much...a little too much angst for my taste...but it is one of the brilliant emotional stories out there.
    Personally, I was a fan of "Daddy's Favorite", which is a series of one-shots about other characters who observe Harry and Dumbledore....it was much more...diverse would be the best word.

And to the usual crew, don't even think about the damn "Daddy's Favorite" jokes........I know what you're like!

14. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I think I read those. Were they the one's where everyone thought Dumbledore wanted to molest Harry because he cared so much about him?

15. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

Well, i started reading them and got to the last chapter of the first one before i got bored of it. It was quite a good fic while it was still entertaining and i'll probably come back to the second and third ones later.

16. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

Dumbledore has a natural tendency to dote on Harry in this fic, but I don't think Dzeytoun handled it that well, as it comes across as a bit creepy even though we KNOW Dumbledore has no sexual interest in Harry.

I don't normally like Maudlin!Dumbledore, but I thought it set a pretty consistent tone which carries a sense of weightiness which is needed for a fic series like that. The inner dialog was a very nice touch, especially when "Tom" smarts off at Dumbledore when he makes comments regarding Harry.

As an example there was a brilliant line where Tom suggests Dumbledore should put a collar on Harry and pet him like an attack dog.

It's also rare to see a post-OotP where Dumbledore finally puts his foot down over Snape's behavior. All too often said fics following the cliche recipe of Harry-escapes-the-evil-Order-and-goes-on-a-massive-shopping-trip-after-getting-Griphook-to-offer-a-goblin-alliance, Dumbledore invariably patronizes Harry by insisting that he do Occlumency with Snape and blah blah blah.

Hell, in HBP Dumbledore even admits his oh-so-brilliant plan to reconcile Harry and Snape blew up in his face quite handily!

As for the companion fic, "Daddy's Favorite", I liked the series of one-shots. They were a very nice multifaceted view of the different ways Dumbledore's doting on Harry is viewed.