1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Hero Class Civil Warfare by RogueDruid - T+ - My Hero Academia

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Assassin4life, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Assassin4life

Assassin4life Squib

High Score:
    Title: Hero Class Civil Warfare
    Author: RogueDruid (Icarius 51)
    Rating: T+
    Fandom: My Hero Academia
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Hero's lead by Bakugo. Villains lead by Midoriya. Seven days prep time. Three days for Izuku Midoriya to show why they should be glad he's not a real villain.
    Link: AO3

I haven' been part of the My Hero Academia fandom very long but I've read through a decent amount of fics since getting into it. Hands down this ranks number one for me. It's a Villain!Deku story and oh boy does it deliver. Unlike most villain izuku fics where he's forced into being a pawn for the League of Villains or he becomes one after his encounter with All Might, this one shows Deku being a very capable and very frightening villain with plans among plans among plans. This Villain!Deku fits into the role of magnificent bastard like he was born for it.

The biggest plus in this story is how much emphasis is put on Izuku's intelligence and his tactical prowess. It isn't his quirk that gives the villains an advantage over the heroes, in fact he only has two real instances of using it, but his innate talent of analysis and strategics. This fic turns his obsession with heroes and his need to analyze them into him embracing his role as a villain and doing everything he can to not only act like a villain but think like one too.

Another plus for me is that every character feels like they get plenty of screen-time, even the class 1-B characters (some of which we know hardly anything about) are given what I feel like is just as much importance as the class 1-A characters. The author also has some freedom with developing these characters because of how little canon has developed them so far - a few of the 1-B quirks are educated guesses based on their designs as well as their characters as a whole. There are also two, easily guessable, fan favorite characters on the villain side that are an added bonus. The character interactions are also superb.

There is also the tagged body horror scene which is probably my favorite scene in the entire fic. There is also a planned series of this with the ending having a very ominous vibe around it.

The writing itself is nothing special with a few grammar issues and typos. Some scenes also tended to blend together a few times, having to go back and re-read those scenes, but the second time I read it this was lessened. An easy 5/5 from me.

2. KaelMyec

KaelMyec Second Year

So once I started I had a very hard time putting this down. This is a very good story in my opinion but like Assassian4life I am new to the fandom so anything that isn't 100% slash and hurt comfort is okay by me.

I really liked the tactical aspect that this story chose to highlight instead of rehashing fights that are in most MHA fics (Sports Festival, Stain etc.) Where it did get involved in fighting it kept it light and avoided getting bogged down in moves and counter moves and kept up the overall tone of the villains staying a few steps ahead of the heroes. Grammatically, overall pretty good, didn't spot anything that pulled me out of my reading.

On the negative side, this story while fun broke in the villains favor heavily, personally I took it at face value but the overall success of the villains depends on a heavy dose of idiot stick on the hero side. Not to say this couldn't happen given the hero leader but I felt that the rest of the hero ensemble cast was sort of just there as cardboard cutouts and didn't show us their character, which had the heroes for the most part went along passively with the plan.

Overall 4/5 for me.