1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Historical research - Where did all those cliches came from?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Sataniel, May 1, 2016.

1. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I'm looking for fics that started all those popular cliches.
    Where did Gringotts blood tests come from, Wizengamot Lords, magical cores, WBWL, soul bonds, Snape being Draco's godfather, Longbottoms being Harry's godparents etc. etc.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm pretty sure at least one or two of them started in Power of Time. I'm fairly sure that's the first instance of 'magical trunk training' at least, though I could be wrong even there.

3. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Unsung Hero was one of the earliest WBWL-fics, if not the first. The earliest magical nobility appearance I've come across was in A Lord and His Lady, which also split the Wizengamot into Tory and Whig parties, or something like that. The latter was taken off of FFN and revised, but was abandoned far earlier than the endpoint of its predecessor, so it's pretty much lost.

4. Alpaca Queen

Alpaca Queen Fourth Year

It might be important to specify whether you're looking for the Ur-Example, the Trope Maker, or the Trope Codifier (from TVTropes). Fanfiction has so many stories out there, and so many are derivative of each other, that it's difficult to determine where a particular cliche "began." I was not a fanfic reader when the above stories were published, so I cannot be sure, but I believe they would be the Codifiers - they are not necessarily the first fics of a given type, but they are the first fic that everybody remembers, because they set the standard for all fics that followed.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  5. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I think I may have been responsible for that trend of putting bullshit pseudo-clever quotes at the beginning of every chapter. My bad.

Hmm... earliest Harry and Draco become sort of friends/allies I can recall is probably Barb and her trilogy.

Lori, back in 2000, possibly had the first readable post-Hogwarts fanfic. It was Harry/Hermione, if I remember correctly. Here's a link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/lori/TPOU01.html

Wow, been about thirteen years since I read that one.

What else can I think of... Promises Unbroken by Robin4 - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1248431/1/Promises-Unbroken

I remember being supremely envious of how good that story was at the time. May give it another read now, see how it holds up.

Agree with Ched that Power of Time was the fic that launched a thousand trunks.

6. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Don't quote me on this but I think Summer of Change was the story that made Unspeakables the super spy/hitmen.

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Though not the first HP Peggy Sue, by far the most influential was S'TarKan/Viridian's Nightmares of Futures Past. This story also popularized the magical core business. (Again, not a first, but he made it a fanon staple.)

Ruskbyte (Order of the Phoenix) for the first unabashedly over-the-top Super!Harry.

Full Pensieve's Harry Potter and the Year of Rebellion was coincident with Russ's Power of Time as among the first major "Indy!Harry" stories that set in motion many of the tropes.

I'm pretty sure jbern's Bungle in the Jungle started the whole spell-chaining thing that's been copied a gazillion times.

I'm also pretty sure Jeconais started the Harry/Daphne pairing with Perfect Situations. His This Means War was arguably the one that popularized the whole "Nobody told me it couldn't be done so I just broke the laws of magic" trope.

Possibly Joe6991 and Cygnus Crux for the sprawling, massive-world, existential-threat, multi-book epics.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Another 'early' fic that may have spawned a trope or two is After the End. I was active on SugarQuill at the time that the authors were working on it, and it was a 'big deal.'

I have vague memories of not liking it much - I think because it had romance? - but thinking that it was exceptionally well written compared to most of the offerings at the time. Not sure how it holds up, but given that they were writing it in 2000/2001 it's quite possible they originated a few things.

Edit: Holy fucking shit. I was reading HP fanfiction 15 years ago. Half the forum probably hadn't learned to write their damn names yet. Why am I old.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  9. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Thanks for all fics.

Ah TVTropes... I learned so many things there, that I later needed to unlearn because they were false.

I think that both trope makers and trope codifiers are what I'm looking for. Trope maker is still revelant, because codifiers are usually based on them.

What tropes did that one start? James and Sirius being aurors or something that died out after later books came out?