1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

House of Cards Season 3 NO SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Skeletaure, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is a spoiler-free thread. If you want to discuss specific episodes, wrap the discussion in spoiler tags and clearly mark which episodes are spoiled within the tags.

So House of Cards season 3 is out on Netflix. I've just finished episode 7 (chapter 33) and I'm loving it so far--it's shaping up to be the best season yet. I'm loving how its political themes mirror current real-life political events.

Spoilers for episode 3:

Petrov is a great Putin-esque Russian President. You really feel like the conversations happening with him could be very similar to the actual conversations between Obama and Putin.

Spoilers for episode 6:

Petrov really kicks ass in the Moscow episode in the chat about how he doesn't genuinely believe in his own laws. And holy shit at the end of the episode. I have a feeling that whether or not you think Claire did the right thing will say a lot about your politics. Personally I think she was an idiot.

2. Nae

Nae The Violent

Currently on E9. If someone is on an earlier episode, you might be spoiled. Make sure to mention this in your posts as well.

Absolutely agreed with both the things, especially the second. His second appearance in the scene about laws against gay people was awesome.

The writing has been very weak for Claire's character. In season 1 and 2, Claire was portrayed as a decisive woman, who wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty when it came to achieving her goals. This time around, she's been flip-flopping. Easily getting riled up in the UN meeting, and the disaster in Moscow. Honestly, it's not so much about politics as it is about being temperamental. Sure, the situation was of extreme duress, but c'mon, you're the First lady. Idiotic indeed.

Thus far, the best storyline for me has been Doug's. I was initially disappointed to see him alive, but his schemes are germinating into ideas which I feel will have serious consequences for Francis. After being sober for years, he has regressed back, but that hasn't stopped him from trying to get back in the game. I was almost disappointed when he leaked the information about the hurricane donation back to Francis. Loyal to a fault I suppose.

As for Francis himself, meh. He doesn't feel Presidential (although arguably that is the point). He's getting resistance from all ends, but is bullying through without compromising. He doesn't feel as shrewd either, with the exception of trying to promote Dunbar, I'd say average. Petrov made the scenes better. Spacey is at his best as usual, but the character has somewhat lost its charm for me.

Edit: LOL so many nods to Obama. Covert op with him sitting in the corner? XD

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  3. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Currently in the middle of episode 8, Chapter 34. I love this show.

Spoiler episode 6

Indeed, a stellar performance from the actor portraying Petrov. On the outburst from Claire I feel it further illuminates Mendozas point on her inability to keep her temper - that discretion is the better part of valour is something she ought to learn. While grandstanding has its uses, doing it on foreign soil with no regard to diplomatic effects is just not cutting it for someone that desires a diplomatic career. Fits what I've understood about the role of the First Lady though.

Spoiler Episode 8

The real reason I'm posting this. The Doug Arc has bothered me so far this season, first I assumed he'd be back in business but having troubles from the injury and then getting sidelined - the fact that he was sidelined even after a full(atleast mental) recovery was surprising. Even more surprising however was his enlistment in Dunbars campaign, I felt it went against Dougs character something fierce, but the slight of being sidelined could've motivated that I suppose. This episode however... I love Doug.

4. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Well it seems like I am an exception because I didn´t like this season as much as Liked the previous ones. It is still an superb political drama but it lacks the charm, wit and dry, black humor that made the first two season so special.

Underwood is no longer the charismatic bastard of the first two seasons, the one who could and did manipulate people without a second though, but a tyrant whose only mode of communication seems to be orders. Claire and the scenes with her, normally a highpoint, are also lacking and are rather boring in my eyes.

It is a good show but it lacks a soul, at least in my eyes.