1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

House

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Amerision, May 9, 2006.

1. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

This show is freaking awesome.

For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a medical show.

There's this crack Doctor named Dr. House, and he has 4 residents placed under his wing. House is witty, slightly racist, highly intelligent, and makes fun of almost everyone.

His team gets to solve weird cases, and many of them are hilarious/disgusting/horrifying.

Ethics, science, society are all common themes in the show.

Between the major cases, there is always one or two breaks for comedy relief where House gets called in to do a checkup on someone.

One of them had this girl get yeast infection because she used rasberry spread as lube :).

Watch it, and you'll get hooked.

For the US, it's 8 PM Eastern on FOX.

2. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Yeah this show kicks! House is f****n hilarious.

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I do love this show, but I'm always impressed by the way it's captured such an audience. House is such a bitter sarcastic a$$hole and yet everyone roots for him. The whole formula of the show is comical. There's some weird case without a good diagnosis. They get a few symptoms to start with and make guesses that are so far beyond every viewers medical knowledge it's not even funny. They could be just making up words and no one would notice. But those first few diagnoses are always wrong and usually make things worse, but giving us a few more symptoms. Now we have more symptoms and more rare random diseases. House comes to some ridiculous conclusion without any evidence backing it up. Eventually the patient cracks and admits some secret they lied about. The diagnoses change and yet still it's not quite right. Now we find out one of the symptoms was not really a symptom and can be written off for some medical reason. Eventually we reach the critical point in the show where the patient has mere hours left to live. Usually by now House has thoroughly offended the patient or patient's family and been yelled at, smacked, taken off the case, etc... And in comes sweeping brilliant deduction that one of the earlier diagnoses was right all along and House is a genius. And that's it! That's the show. With any given symptom or diagnosis, you need only look at the clock to know if it's going to fix them. And it's not like anyone watching the show knows the first thing about nearly every rare virus or infection that gets bandied about. House is always reminded of being an a$$ and he always reminds them that he knows better than them. That's nearly every episode. And yet I love watching them.

The moral of the show is that everyone lies and House is right.

"The spasms could indicate multiple instances of intestinal muscular polyurethane hyperthyroid dystrophy." Dr. Chase argued.

"Or you could be an idiot!" Dr. House retorted. "He's dying, not farting."

That said, my favorite episode by far was the one where House taught the class with the stories of 3 different people presenting with leg problems. Carmen Electra, more off-the-wall humor than usual, and a poignant bit of truth to the show. House's ex-wife on the hand, I've always despised that actress so it's hard to be impartial.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  4. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

I love the show. In almost every episode one of the other doctors says that House isn't god or that he can't always be right. You would think they would get it that House can't be wrong. Just look at the most recend episode, Cameron goes ahed and operated on Forman, even though House said didn't, and screwed him up. While Cameron was messing with Foreman's head, house found the answer anyway. Now Foreman can only move one side of his body or something wierd like that.

5. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Great show... It is also on USA at I believe at 10 or 11 PM Eastern US Time on Fridays.

6. andiais

andiais DA Member

And the actor who plays House is English! Yay for Hugh! He'll always be bertie wooster to me though. Well, and Prince george in Blackadder third. If you haven't seen Blackadder, you are truly missing out.

7. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

It's on fox?! Here I have to fight for the remote every friday when I could watch it at eight.

As you can tell, I'm a fan. The show goes a bit overboard on the dramatics at some points, but what show doesn't? And yes, House's attitude is definitely entertaining. :)

8. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I actually have a rant somewhere about this show...

Maybe when I'm not lazy, I will find it. Yes, House himself is an excellant character -- but I find the show, dull, repetitive, and amazingly boring. Partially because of the somewhat generalized outline given by nonjon, but mostly because I loathe hospital shows in general.

Watching your Mom slowly die of a steadily spreading terminal cancer over the course of four years when your a little kid tends to make you not like hospitals, hospital shows, or anything vaguely related to them. Especially when it could have been cured if the doctor who diagnosed her wasn't a complete douche who was incapable of reading a fucking chest x-ray.

In short: House might be a good show... But honestly, I loathe it. I don't like my hospitals in real life, so why the hell would I watch a fake one on TV.

Although a lot of the people in my AP Bio class swear by this show -- I prefer to swear at it.

9. SLASH SUCKS

SLASH SUCKS Backtraced

I've only seen 3-4 shows and I have to say Amerision is right. My sister recommended this shit to me she got us tivo because I never know what is on and I'm not home that much. I hardly ever follow a series on tv the last one i actually enjoyed was 4400.

Spoilers here....
    Anyways, the episode on this week was crazy, House got shot twice and he is Halucinating most of the show. He invents a patient with impossable to cure symptoms, towards the end when he figures out it's all a dream he kills the patient with this cool ass machine that does surgery. He basicaly cuts the guy from the belly to the throat and blood and organs pop out. It was pretty crazy because he killed a guy off on a hunch that he wasn't real. He wakes up still injured from the gun shot wounds at the end.
    End Spoilers...

10. nonjon

I finally watched that episode off my DVR last night. For those that don't know it was the season finale. And good god watching that eyeball squeeze and pop right out of the socket was freaking awesome, hilarious, and disgusting. I rewound and watched it three times. The blood filled scrotum exploding on Dr. Chase was pretty nice too.

But the big trickiness at the end was House asked for the treatment that would put his body into a coma and potentially damage his brain. A fine episode and season finale. And a lot better than the god-awful NCIS season finale. Bleh. That I watched too. But anyways... great eyeball-socket playdoh fun factory like action.

11. Lady Ghiradelli

Lady Ghiradelli First Year DLP Supporter

-still pissed off at NCIS finale- >.> Meh. Despite any debates here I shall always find House a good show. ^_^ I saw the finale. Had to watch it twice due to my confused tiredness. But it was good. :3 ( -grumps- 7th Heaven is coming back on the WB or something. -_- Not cool -TV show hate- )

12. nonjon

13. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

That was pretty good...

I liked it.

14. razz

razz Seventh Year

House is the only show I watch on tv now that the Biggest Loser is over. I love Hugh Laurie. And Blackadder (Laurie was in the fourth one too).

And Jesse Spencer - but he's a total pussy in this. Actually, I think he's a pussy in real life too - you know he used to have his belly button pierced? (I read it in a gossip mag. It's true, I swear!) And he sang in a choir too. Huh.

15. SLASH SUCKS

SLASH SUCKS Backtraced

I got my parents to watch it, they never watch tv. I even showed them how to use the tivo controller they are totally hooked too. They are so old school they are always asking me if they can watch House like i'm there dad or something and there a child asking permission. They just don't understand technology they use the dvd controler to change the volume half the time with no results, obviously.

16. Sirhin

Sirhin First Year

Yep! House is awesome! I love the doctor's sense of humor and wit. :) It's one of the things that makes me come back for more. Plus, it's great to have an unconventional doctor - even though he can say some pretty mean things. He's real funny though. He makes it all interesting and that's another factor since I plan to become a doctor of some sort. It's WAYYY better than Grey's Anatomy, not that I ever watched it. Now that has a load of drama. For some odd reason, most of the people in my medical class in high school were obsessed with GA. Weird.

Unfortunately, I've recently gone out-of-the-loop and I don't know when House comes on anymore. When I last watched it regularly, it would come on on Tuesdays but I thought I saw someone write something about Friday?

Sirhin

17. nonjon

New episodes on FOX used to be on tuesdays 9PM. Maybe re-runs still are. And when the new season rolls around in September, could very well be again in that time slot.

But USA network with their "Characters Welcome" banner has the previous season of House on friday nights at 11PM, after Monk and Psych (two other shows I find immensely entertaining).

Yes I watch too much tv.

18. Evergreen_Queen

Evergreen_Queen First Year

My favorite moment of the show is when House borrowed money from Wilson to buy his motorcycle. Basically, House confronts Wilson in the parking lot asking Wilson why he invited House's parents for dinner. Here's the clip in words

House: You bastard! [Wilson turns around and sees House] You invited my parents to dinner.

Wilson: Geez Cameron's got a big mouth!

House: Hah! Not as big as yours!

Wilson: Hey! You used me to avoid seeing your parents.

House: Well what do you care?

Wilson: I don't, I just thought it might be interesting to find out why.

House: You could have just asked.

Wilson: You would have lied!

House: And you would have believed me! Which would have kept us both happy. [Wilson looks utterly confused] You want your money back? Is this what this is about?

Wilson: No! [pause] Wait, what... have you got the money?

[House rests his cane against the car and digs in his pockets for something]

Wilson: If you have the money then why did you need the loan?

House: I didn't. [takes out his chequebook and starts writing a cheque] Just wanted to see if you could give it to me. I've been borrowing increasing amounts ever since you lent me 40 dollars a year ago. A little experiment to see where you draw the line.

Wilson: [dumbfounded] You're [splutters] you're trying to... objectively measure how much I value our friendship?!

House: Hey, it's 5 grand. You've got nothing to be ashamed of. [tears the cheque out of his chequebook] So what do you say? One little phone call and one big cheque?

Wilson: [takes the cheque and puts it in his wallet] Fine. Thanks. Now, be a grown-up and either tell mommy and daddy you don't want to see them, or I'm picking you up at 7 for dinner [gets into his car]

House: [shocked] What do you mean? You just said that--

Wilson: I lied. I've been lying to you in increasing amounts ever since I told you you looked good unshaved, a year ago. It's a little experiment, you know, see where you draw the line [closes the car door and starts his car up]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  19. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I love the show. Entertaining, but sadly, I don't get FOX. So I've been recording the episodes playing on USA. :D My only grief with the show is that the drama gets a bit.. too much at times. Still, it's one of the few shows on TV that I look forward to watching.

Edit: I just realized.. I had said just about the same thing before. o_O Odd that, but yeah, that's my excellent memory skills appearing. -_-' Ah..just say my opinion still remains positive?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  20. Soulforger

Soulforger First Year

Hugh Laurie's an excellent actor, no doubt about that. I was reluctant to watch the show at first, partially because the hospital theme has been done to death, and partially because of Hugh himself; after watching him in Blackadder, I thought he wouldn't be able to portray a non-comical character.

I was completely wrong, and I love the show (I'm at the hospital myself, the staff doesn't miss a single episode).

House is a brilliant character, and somewhat like Raistlin Majere: bitter, sarcastic, a complete asshole, but it wouldn't work without him.