1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

How do wizards heal mental trauma?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barelyhere, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Barelyhere

Barelyhere Squib

Hello everyone, lurker here. :)

As title states, I'm interested in how wizards and witches heal their mental trauma in canon. Surely they don't seek out a muggle psychiatrist or psychologist?

Some fanfiction stories mention "Mind Healers" but I don't recall seeing that term used in the books. It has been years since I've last read them, though.

Also, if the books never specify how trauma is healed, what are your headcanons for this?

2. Sataniel

Sataniel Seventh Year

High Score:
    Nothing ever mentioned in canon. I assume firewhiskey, lot of firewhiskey.

3. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

I don't see why they wouldn't just go to a psychiatrist who's magical. Why do you assume they'd be muggle?

4. Warlocke

Warlocke Prisoner

OBLIVIATE!

5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    Seems like the simplest explanation. There are also mood altering spells/potions in canon like the Cheering Charm, but those probably can't do too much more to fix actual damage than equivalent muggle medicines. Magic might be a bit more effective for treating mental health issues that stem from chemical/hormonal imbalances in the brain, but with actual trauma ... yeah, magic can't fix it.

Well, maybe Warlocke's suggestion could work. Though even outright Obliviating the bad memories seems to be an imperfect solution—what we see of Lockhart at St Mungo's indicates that there's still some level of subconscious memory left after a mind-wipe. For someone with PTSD it's possible some of the trauma might remain, but without the memories to provide context for what caused it and how to deal with it (granted, that's pure speculation). Not to mention the knock-on effects that come from carving out huge chunks of your own memories.

6. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

They don't. They are a society where their pills are free. They can magic away the symptoms and ignore the root causes.

7. Barelyhere

Barelyhere Squib

@Rehio You make an extremely good point. Oh dear, I must have boxed myself in thinking only muggles would be psychiatrists.

Thanks everyone who replied. Much appreciated.

8. Tempestuous Ocean

Tempestuous Ocean First Year

High Score:
    There are potions (and spells) that affect one's mental state. I assume there are healers knowledgeable in that area.

I am curious about treatment Neville's mom must have had in early days of her hospitalization. And how do the healers of St. Mungo's care for Lockhart?