1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

How many people here are religious?

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by normalguycap, Jul 26, 2016.

1. normalguycap

normalguycap Disappeared

High Score:
    I am merely curious. You lot seem to be a nifty and educated bunch. You don't have to identify with a particular religion. Even some spirituality in some way would apply to what I'm curious about.

2. Blimpcaptain

Blimpcaptain Squib

High Score:
    I personally am an atheist but I like some particular ideologies. If I had to choose religion it would probably be lave yang satanism (it's not what it sounds like) because it has some neat beliefs. Then again it has some weird magic stuff.

3. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I'm agnostic, my parents are Christian. Biblical mythology is rather metal once you free yourself from the burden of heaven and blah blah.

Ideology wise I like the Yoruba way of things (Santeria, I think it's called in the Americas). I'm using it in my original fantasy work.

4. Blorcyn

Blorcyn High Inquisitor DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

DLP's survey gives a good general impression.

Although the uptake isn't that close to the full number of users of the site, it has 40% atheist, 27% agnostic, and 17% as Christian.

5. Yenroch

Yenroch First Year

High Score:
    If you want to find a survey which includes a question about your religion, here.

For the lazy that don't want to click on the link and find out themselves:

Atheist ----- 40.5 %
    Agnostic ----- 27.5 %
    Christian --- 17 %
    Muslim -- 1.5 %
    Hindu -- 2.5 %
    Sikh -- 0.5 %
    Buddhist -- 0.5 %
    Jew -- 2 %
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn ----- 4.5 %
    Autre --- 3.5 %

There were about 207 people that completed the survey [Provided that there is a 1 response - 1 person ratio] and of those, most were the active DLPers.

Thread that links to the survey is here.

If you want to know as to what I chose, then it's Agnostic.

EDIT: Blorcyn beat me to it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  6. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Atheist. The idea of any entity that supervises my thoughts in life and doesn't even leave me in peace when I'm dead is abhorrent to me.

7. oakes

oakes Auror DLP Supporter

I used to be, but now I only to believe in Karma/Balance whatever you'd like to call it.

8. Zel

Zel Professor

High Score:
    Atheist. I think that a being of limitless power and knowledge would have better things to do than supervizing what people eat or how they use their genitals. Funny how these rules we see in pretty much every religion correspond to the moral/ethical values from the time and place they were first designed.

Also, I believe in taking responsability for my actions and in humanity's ability to shape its own destiny. We're past the time when we needed threats of eternal damnation or promises of eternal bliss to keep society working. We would be better off without religion.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Atheist, largely because I was raised that way and see no reason to convert to any particular religion.

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Atheist. Because reasons.

11. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I used to consider myself atheist for a while, but over the last few years I've thought a lot about religion. There's so many denominations that I don't even know which one I'd fit into, but I'm vaguely a Christian, I guess. Or at least I believe in God, and I believe in Christ, but when you get to the particulars I'm really wishy-washy.

12. NuitTombee

NuitTombee Dark Lord

I'm not entirely sure. I don't give religion much thought unless I'm playing devil's advocate with my mother.

I suppose I'm of the mind of 'live and let live as long as they do no harm to others'.

13. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I consider myself an atheist Christian. Not sure if that counts as being religious.

Nae
  14. KGB

KGB Order Member

Atheist. Born and raised.

And I see no reason whatsoever to believe that anything resembling a god exist.

15. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

Atheist.

No one ever told me to believe in anything as a child, so I never latched on to anything. Once I grew old enough to actually read about religions and such, how could I actually choose out of the thousands? It's not like I had any particular reason to believe in any individual one.

16. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Easy: you choose the one that follows the One True God®. Seems silly to adopt one of the others, no?

17. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Not all religious ideologies have a concept of a One True God or care that much about them being One and True, but okay

18. Damask

Damask Seventh Year

Me in particular, I'm standard fedora ratheist fare, but that's not what I came here to talk about.

I've lately seen a lot of people moving away from atheism, and been exposed to an unusual number of incredibly smart and educated traditionalist Christians. That would be, too traditionalist for the Reform. Aquinas scholars and all that. Maybe it's just a quirk of the evolution of my online community membership, but I wouldn't be too surprised if there were a resurgence of such viewpoints.

There are apparently a lot of theistic arguments that aren't interpreted in their strongest forms by atheist arguers and therefore have been somewhat shielded from refutation (in their true form) by sheer misintepretation, so in a sense they haven't exhausted their persuasive power. (That might be the mechanism by which I suspect we'll start seeing quite a few reconversions, once the stronger theistic arguments get rediscovered and come into attention.)

So, in the light of that, somehow I'm not too surprised to see this question here. If anything, what's surprising is a string of people repeatedly declaring themselves atheists -- although it might not have seemed unusual some years ago.

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    I'm an atheist because, as Bill Maher said, atheism takes up very little of my time.

20. normalguycap

normalguycap Disappeared

High Score:
    Oh wow, sorry; I did not know that existed.