1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How Newt kept his wand: theories anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ninclow, May 9, 2016.

1. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    I found this recently, do you agree or disagree with it? What are your theories?

Personally, I think that the wand in the movie, reportedly made of lime wood and contained elements of bone and shell as core (all three elements which is not included in Ollivander's list of wand wood and wand cores, is not his original one, but that if his was snapped, then he had another one crafted. Alternatively, the old wand shop was not yet been handed over to Garrick Ollivander and was run by his father Gervaise, whom Garrick admitted to have observed 'wrestling with substandard wand core materials such as kelpie hair', who might have used different materials than his son.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wasn't it mentioned that Albus stepped forward and spoke on Newt's behalf?

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    TheWiseTomato: He spoke on Hagrid's behalf, too, didn't he? The article makes sense to me, tbh.

4. ThatGreekLady

ThatGreekLady Fourth Year

High Score:
    I don't think being expelled necessarily means you get to lose your wand. Hagrid got his wand snapped yes, but he was also suspected of murder.

5. Alpaca Queen

Alpaca Queen Fourth Year

I'm pretty sure that those substandard materials imply his wand wasn't replaced - or at least, not by Garrick Ollivander. After all, if his wand was snapped and he got it replaced later, we would expect his wand to be more typical of the materials we see in canon.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

From everything we know, yes, being expelled from Hogwarts before your OWLs means getting your wand snapped (and only then, it's not a punishment). We have two instances of this being the case (Hagrid, Harry) and no evidence to the contrary. Simultaneously, we also know that having your OWLs is enough to be considered qualified and leave Hogwarts (cf. the Twins).

I didn't feel like counter-checking the timeline, but if the article is correct there, it confirms what we knew, and in particular, there is no contradiction.

7. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Depending on his age, its possible that Garrick was quite young at the time that Tom Riddle purchased his wand, and it is possible that about twenty years later, Gervaise Ollivander ran the show, at which time it was common for people to present a wandmaker with something they valued, such as a whisker from the much beloved family Kneazel, and he would craft it into a wand core. Perhaps this explains why the material differs?

8. Alpaca Queen

Alpaca Queen Fourth Year

You seem to have have confused both the timeline and my point. Newt Scamander is nearly thirty years older than Tom Riddle, so he would be about forty at the point when Tom Riddle purchased his wand, and therefore not "quite young" at all. You are correct that Scamander's wand materials imply he purchased his wand before Ollivander introduced his choices, but this was my entire point: if the wand we see was crafted before Ollivander rose to prominence, this increases the likelihood it was made earlier as opposed to later.

9. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    My mistake, what I meant that Garrick presumably was quite young when he sold the wand to Riddle, while his father a few decades earlier might have sold Newt Scamander a wand.