1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How to be a Beta

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Atum, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

Hey guys,

I'm still kind of new here, and really to fanfiction in general. Anyway, started this thread because I've read a lot of stories I've liked that are really off-putting because of bad grammar, spelling, dialogue, or eventually progression. Anyway, I would like to be a beta, but I'm not really sure how to start. I also don't feel like getting flamed even though I realize that this may not be a very good environment for that. SO if one of you guys that are always on, or really anybody at this point, good help me out, that would be great.

2. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

I don't think there's a formal process to it. Just check in the WBA section every once in a while and get your beta on in there. Or you could jump on ff.net, I suppose. They have a signup/request system for betas if my memory serves.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Step 1: Find a fic.

Step 2: Read the fic.

Step 3: Write how you feel about the fic.

What you include in step 3 is up to you. It can include categories like spelling, grammar, phrasing, formatting, characterisation, plotting, pacing, description, and dialogue. If you want to be rigorous, you can quote specific parts of the text and suggest improvements.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah -- if you want to beta read then go to the WbA forum and get to beta'ing. If you end up liking it, and are good at it, then go from there.

5. Atum

Alright, I wasn't sure how formal this was in terms of communication/agreement with a writer but I think I may be over-thinking the process.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The WbA is informal. The idea there is mostly I think that you get constructive reviews of everything as opposed to the "update moar plx" that you tend to see on ffnet. Go review and try to say useful things -- don't worry about being too harsh either, most people appreciate stark criticisms. Just try to keep it polite, especially as you're new.

At some point someone may post asking for an actual "beta" in which they might want you to beta it for them before they put it in WbA or something, but that's something you agree to do moreso than something you offer to do, if that makes sense.

Cheers

7. Atum

Thanks for your help. I was a little lost and I'm still not really sure how things work around here but this was helpful.

8. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Ask the author is he/she wants help. Simple.

9. Hello

Hello Professor

You might want to proofread your own posts a little more closely than this one if you desire to be a beta. Just to get into the habit of being a Grammar Nazi in addition to displaying competency with the language.

10. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

I know how to be a beta!

You have to be slightly nerdy, bookish, be the guy who takes one for the team by going after the fat chick, be the scrapgoat, be the dude who goes with chicks on shopping trips...

Oh.

You're talking about the other beta.

Nevermind then.

11. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

...That wasn't even remotely amusing

12. Atum

I'll admit that right up until the end of that post I thought he was being serious.

13. dans l'obscurite

dans l'obscurite First Year

You could put up a beta profile on Fanfiction.net, but there are so many other betas that your chances of getting picked as a beta are slim.

I'd check the ANs of the story. Oftentimes an author will comment on how they desperately need a beta. Or you could just PM whichever author you want to help, like Jormungandr suggested.

Make sure you know what you're getting into. Being a beta isn't only about correcting grammar/spelling/capitalization errors. The author of the story may ask you for help with the plot. You may also need to help the author with characterization and other aspects of the story.

Also make sure that your own grammar is top-notch. Once you become a beta for an author, some of the blame falls on your shoulders if the story still contains errors or is just plain bad.

If you feel you can handle it, then go for it. :)