1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

How to Plan A Wedding

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Arthellion, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So Zombies complaining no one is posting new threads for SPS and since my big day is soon, so I figured why not.

How did DLPers plan their weddings? What advice would you give?

My first piece of advice, marry a simple person who doesn’t want a big wedding. It saves you time, money, and sanity.

2. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

marriage is a scam designed by the jew to stop the spread of the gentile genes

3. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

New threads is for Thursday and Sunday is for shit posting. My advice for your wedding say yes to everything within reason, firm eye on the budget. Smile no matter how much you wanna die inside.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  4. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Auror

So I'm also getting married in a month.
    1.L list, list. Keep all of your lists organized. We put ours on sticky notes and have covered a few walls in or bedroom, but we are having a 300 person wedding. Organization and logistics will keep you sane.
    2. figure out what's most important to the couple and the parents. We determined it would be pictures and having people we love there and the ceremony in the synagogue. So big wedding with excellent photographer with 2 extra assistants. And having 300 of our nearest and dearest.
    3. Have a timeline, consult it regularly. We had a good timeline. 1 year out save the dates, 3 months invitations. Etc. But we forgot to check it and got our invitations out a month late. Luckily everyone already had the date saved, but we did have to field a few questions.
    4. Pay professionals. My brother in law DJed his own wedding. It was his biggest regret, because he was always worrying about the next songs. My cousin had a friend DJ. That cousin is a musician and had built a 3 hour dance music set. The friend played it on shuffle, and didn't accommodate requests because he was making out with another guest. If you want it done right, spend a little more. Cut in the good list, not the bad list.
    5. The good list: things that if you cut, few will notice and even fewer will remember. Fancy bar drinks, flowers, comfy chairs, linens, food, ceremony runner, photo booth, transportation, welcome bags.
    6. The bad list. If it is not done right, the guests will remember: dancing, music, officiant.
    7. have a budget, stick to it, but be flexible. If the flowers you really want come in at $3k over budget, then cut from somewhere else.
    8. I cannot overemphasize how great photographers are. Because you can't be everywhere, but a good photographer will take pictures of all the great moments, and then later you can look back and have fond memory recollection.

And I don't even know how to shitpost.
    : Poop :
    Does that count?

5. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

If you can swing a same day edit video, it helped us process so much on the honeymoon. It’s like a 3-5 minute trailer of the day.

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not having been married myself I'm limited in what I can throw in. But one thing I can say from having witnessed it, is when you're choosing your best man don't pick your old childhood friend, or the guy who you were best friends with at uni who you used to drink the bar dry with. Choose someone who is currently a close friend, who you can trust to take responsibility for things in the lead up to the day and on the day, and ideally who lives in close enough proximity to you that they can help out with the wedding prep whenever you need them. It'll be a less stressful wedding for you if you do.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    Don't plan. Elope, @Arthellion, then film yourself doing tequila shots off the wife and send it to the most religious relatives.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  8. Zombie

That sounds like reefer madness.

9. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    1. Don't. Elope. Fuck your friends and relatives, isn't this supposed to be about you?
    2. Go on a kickass vacation by yourselves using all that money you would have wasted on cake.
    3. Enjoy.

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    This is actually something very similar to what we both did. We chose our groomsmen/bridesmaids on people who we know are going to be there in ten years if we need something rather than people we've been friends with all our lives.

I've only known my groomsmen two years, but they're solid guys and always looking out for me.
    --- Post automerged ---
    We heavily considered it, but ultimately the amount of money we know we are getting from presents won out. She's got some rich relatives. (We've already been told one family member is giving us like 2k so...). The wedding itself (including my suit and her dress) has only been about 3k for us.

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    I can get behind that motive.

12. Zombie

Wasn't there a Reddit thread about this recently where they postponed the wedding and decided to take a early honeymoon with the thirty thousand they raked in.

13. DR

High Score:
    Sounds like a solid plan.

14. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Order Member DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Yeah. They correctly identified that this would concern people. So they pointed out that they would reopen the wedding fund when they decided to get married at some point after spending the current money on a holiday. (I think they even said something to the effect of 'Wedding's are expensive! after that part, haha) Sensational PR skills.

@Shouldabeenadog I've never seen you on discord, so: congratulations on your upcoming nuptials, too!

15. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have a vast and all-consuming fear of commitment. My psychologist tells me its because I'm just too cool.

But if I ever were to get married, I'd leverage what I've got around me. In this case, a beach wedding on one of the 340 days of sunshine available in Western Australia. Really cheap ceremony. The reception will be held at one of any of the spaces for rent overlooking the Indian Ocean, open bar, simple but plentiful catering.

Costs:

Ceremony: $200, officiated by a licensed professional who is also a comedian (a friend)
    Reception: Hmm... let's say $50 a head x 100 people = $5000 (likely be a lot smaller than this, maybe 50 people)
    Suits: $600 (rentals)
    Entertainment/Photographer: $3000 (Best guess, but I'll pay people what they're worth in this department)
    Misc (her dress, and so on): $2000

Total for a 100 person wedding: $10800

Oof, not unreasonable, but still...

So this means the 100 guests will each need to provide a gift of at least $108 to break even (I kid, I kid).

Still, my point is some things can be done nicely for relatively pennies. The beach ceremony. If I lived out in the country, I'd find a picturesque cottage with a barn or something. If I'm city-locked, a nearby winery perhaps. Eh.

16. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Joe you say open bar then assume $50 per head. I'd suggest thats a touch optimistic.

Since we're talking about what we would do if we got married, I reckon for me it'll be down to the registry office with a couple of witnesses. Then a couple of smaller 'receptions', one for friends, and a separate one for family. Keeps things simple and easy to handle.

17. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator DLP Gold Supporter

The average wedding in the UK costs about £30k which seems a frankly stupid amount of money.

I'd happily throw over the ceremony for a down-payment on a house or if you already have a house, a fantastic holiday and a hogroast when you get back.

18. Arthellion

High Score:
  19. DR

High Score:
    Makes sense, if you make one bad decision, chances are, you made another.

20. Zombie

I got married at the magistrates office. No one but the witnesses came. Super cheap, super effective. People that have that many people come to their wedding only do of for the gifts. No way in hell I know a hundred plus people that I'd ever invite to a ceremony.