1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How to remove starsearch.info virus?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Jjf88, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Picked up a weird virus that loads a different homepage and search tool bar when I am on my computer. I looked up several different ways to remove it but none thus far have worked. Came to DLP because I know we have a lot of tech savvy people on the forums.

I'm posting this from my phone. I could wipe my PC but I would rather not if possible.

2. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

It's always hard to say if you only picked up some adware or more. If you want to be sure, I'd recommend going to BleepingComputer, read and follow the preparation guide and then create a thread in the "Virus, Trojan....removal logs" subforum, so that people who know what they're doing can help you.

If you don't want that, then you can try your luck with running adwcleaner and then junkware removal tool. That normally takes care of most adware, but you should still make a backup before using those tools, even if they're relatively "harmless", just to be on the safe side.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Malwarebytes is another good program. I had a similar virus under a different name and it helped. Free, too.

4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I found ccleaner an useful tool too. I second Malwarebytes too.

5. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Ran Malwarebytes. Didn't pick it up the first time but got it the second time. I'll try ccleaner, adwcleaner and jrt weren't very useful but I'll try them again.

Thanks for the help, guys. Think Malware helped resolve it though.

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

HijackThis and CCleaner and Malwarebytes/Spybot Search and Destroy usually will get anything. Booting into safe mode makes removing things like that easier sometimes as well as clearing your temp files system wide. Last time I had malware it had stored it's self in a temp folder and took me forever to hunt down.