1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP as a Dresdenverse Wizard

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Othalan, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard about any fics where Harry Potter is born a Wizard of the White Council. The idea just struck me the other day, and I think it has some awesomeness potenial, but aside from the bit of Dresden Magic that Harry does in the Denarian series, I haven't found anything even remotely similar.

2. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I planned on doing something similar as far as his magical training goes in Saving Ivy, but I haven't gotten back to that story. Once I finish Retsu's Folly I intend to continue with Saving Ivy.

It's an interesting concept but one needs more than say Harry being taken at birth and raised as a Dresden wizard.

3. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Like Nuhuh said, it's a very interesting concept. I haven't read anything like it but I did have hope that somebody would write something similar. If someone decides to writes it kudos to them.

4. Othalan

Huh, I'll be looking forward to reading that when you get around to it then.

As for Harry being taken and raised as a White Wizard, I was thinking more along the lines of a fusion fic with HP characters, backstories, and situations, but set solely in the Dresdenverse. I guess I should have been a bit more clear abut that in the first post.

Basically, I'm looking for a Harry who is, essentialy, the same person, with all the abilities, limitations, and challenges of Butcher's universe, but none of the over-the-top, wtfh4x advantages of HP magic.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  5. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

So, a Harry Potter who is basically a squib according to HPuniverse standarts, but is a wizard in Dresdenverse? And both worlds are on the same plane of existence, right?

If yes, than that idea is interesting.

6. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

It sounds more like the story of Harry Potter as it would have played out in the Dresden universe, which is a potentially awesome idea.

7. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I like this idea. Though the concept of Hogwarts the school (along with Beauxtabons and Durmstrang (which is supposed to be a darkish school) at the least) would be a bit hard to modfiy considering the traditional master-apprentice thing in DF. Not to mention the Ministeries of Magic...

8. Othalan

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Well, if it were me writing it, I would scrap the concept of magical boarding schools and the ministries altogether. There's no need to follow HP canon all that closely. Though it should probably be going into the plot bunny thread instead, this is how (in vague terms) I would do it:

James and Lily Potter fought against Voldemort much as in canon, then go into hiding when Rashid (the Gatekeeper) warns them that Voldemort will come after their son. Voldemort, caring nothing for the Laws of Magic, has sought beyond the Outer Gates and made a bargain with some of the beings there: immortality, near invincibility, and knowledge of those who pose the biggest threats to him, both present and future, in exchange for portions of his soul. This way, Voldemort, and later Rashid (due to his future sight) learn that Harry Potter is the biggest threat to the Dark Lord.

I figure the Fidelius Charm seems somewhat compatible with DF magic, so the whole betrayal subplot could carry over to the other 'verse quite easily. When Voldemort comes to kill the Potters, Lily, realizing that Voldemort is powerful enough to survive any death curse she threw at him, decides to focus her DC on defending her son from her killer. It works and Voldemort appears to die when he tries to kill young Harry. With the increased exposure to the muggle world that Dresden Files Wizards have, muggle authorities arrive on scene first after the fidelius fails, taking Harry and placing him in the care of the Dursleys.

Fast forward ten years. Dumbledore, a powerful middle-aged wizard (150 years = early middle age for the White Council) made famous for his defeat of Heinrich Kemmler, and an old friend of Harry's parents comes to the Dursley home, takng Harry as his apprentice.

Being Dumbledore's apprentice is made difficult though, because the White Council considers the man a dangerous radical for his outspoken criticism of the Wardens' kill-on-sight policy in regards to young warlocks who don't know any better. Further complicating the situation is a permanent Doom of Damocles placed on Dumbledore for the actions of his last apprentice (Voldemort), which is applied to Harry by association.

The story wouldn't really pick up until some time after Harry's apprenticeship, around the time Dead Beat is set. Kemmler's disciples, instead of competing to attempt the Darkhallow, are working together to bring back Voldemort. They succeed, and Harry, along with allies like Dumbledore and possibly Dresden, are forced into a new conflict with the resurgent Dark Lord, on top of the ongoing Vampire War.

/rambling... That's about as far as I've thought it out.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  9. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Epic Potential.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That is pretty damn epic, and it fits pretty well too. Someone must write this.

11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Agreed. It's an interesting idea.

Interesting, but why would Harry need to have Albus's Doom of Damocles rub off on him when he could very well have one of his own?

The minute I started reading your take on this and you said Lily focused on defending Harry, the thought popped into my head:

"Whatever she did to KO Voldemort and save Harry, is undoubtedly something the White Council would frown upon. Harry could end up with the Doom of Damocles hanging over him, even at fifteen months old."

I admit, of the actual Dresden novels, I've only read Storm Front. I have Fool Moon but I've been dragging my heels about reading it. I read the first chapter or two and just wasn't feeling it. When that happens, all you can do is put it down and try again later, really.

Anyway... From what little I've read (which includes fics like Shezza's Denarian series), the White Council strike me as just the kind of twats that would have enough douche canoes to carry a vote for Dooming an infant for a spell his mother placed on him, even if it was to protect him from a mass murderer.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know, I was just thinking... how is having the Doom any different to not? The Doom means that any suspicion of dark magic means summary execution... which is pretty much what Wardens are allowed to do anyway.

13. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

The Doom means that someone has the job of watching you for signs. For Harry, this was Eb and later Morgan.

For normal magic users, the Wardens just keep an eye out for trouble, and investegate if they find it. If you have the Doom, well, Big Brother is watching you.

14. Othalan

Yes, they seem douche-y enough to do that, but from the books, we know that they like to place an auto-Doom on anyone in a master-apprentice relationship with someone under the Doom (Eb, when Dresden was young, though being the Blackstaff might have given him a pass on that one, then Harry again when he took Molly as his apprentice). And if Voldemort was as feared and powerful as in the HP 'verse, it's not much of a stretch for them to be extremely paranoid about anyone Dumbledore trains after that.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  15. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

If Dumbledore is as powerful as he is in the HP verse, I can see him giving shit all about what the White Council tells him to do. Now, that would be something I'd like to read. Dumbledore just being Dumbledore when confronted by the higher ups in the White Council.

"Oh, and what do I owe the pleasure of the Merlin and his friends visiting me on this fine afternoon? Broken some laws while under the Doom of Damocles, have I? Ah, well you see we have bit of a problem, and by we, I mean you and your lovely friends."

16. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

"Lemon Drop?"

Othalans idea sounds really interesting. Now someone competent is needed to write this.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  17. Othalan

Yeah, if anyone wants to give this a shot, that would be :awesome! I would do it, but I make a much better beta than I do an author.

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just remembered that I had a similar idea a long time ago but with the Buffyverse. Transplant the Buffy magic system and world onto the HP story. Could be fun.

And of course Buffy and Dresden go pretty well together.

I'm not so sure about making Dumbledore able to wtfpwn the White Council like he wtfpwns the Ministry in canon. The point of Dresden is that its very rational, and you don't get imbalances of power like that - except through breaking the laws, which is why they're there.

19. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Awesome idea. Now I want to write it, lol.

Ah but my resolution for this year, no new stories!

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I would actually love to see a Harry who is a squib in the HPverse but has the powers of a Dresdenverse wizard.

Hey.

Nuhuh.

Cocksucker.

Go write it.