1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[HP] Which ship do you think the fandom should explore more of?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Snowy, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Snowy

Snowy First Year

In my opinion, a ship that should definitely be better explored would be Harry / Susan.

There are few well-developed stories of this ship. And I would love to see this ship being further explored. (I have a side project involving Harry and Susan, I am still at the very beginning of the project, still taking notes and some scribbles from the story.)

Another ship that I find interesting but there is almost no fanfic about, but I only read one fanfic with him, is Harry / Hannah Abbott. If you are interested, here, take the link to the story: ( https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4348627/1/ )

Harry / Tracey: It's interesting, I've read a lot of stories with this ship, and I liked the result.

Harry / Pansy, I've read two that I liked, but I don't remember the damn name, one of them has about 500k words

Harry / Katie Bell, I already read about this ship and found it interesting.

Well, these are the ships that came to mind now, and you, which ship would you like to see more on the fandom? Tell me, let's discuss!

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I seriously think the fandom should further explore friendship fics or fics where the primary handful of relationships aren't romantic/dating.

Forging the Sword is still one of the best of those. Canon barely touched on romantic relationships compared to everything else.

Seriously lacking.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'll answer seriously and say Harry/Katie. Sporty older girl that Harry gets along with, what else is there to say?

5. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I think the fandom needs more Harry / His Own Thoughts tbch. People feel like they need to stuff a romance in every story and more often than not it hurts the story more than helps.

6. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You guys are preaching directly into my ears right now. I love it. I've always had a bit of a hate-on for romance fics.

But, to answer OP's question seriously: I'd like to see more relationships that pull characters in interesting directions. Hermione/Krum was my favourite relationship in the books because it just came so left of field and forced us all to re-evaluate who Hermione was and what she wanted from life.

I was trying to think of other interesting / unexpected pairings between characters that usually don't get any character development in fics and, err, now I think about it... aren't most of the adults in the books related? Wow. Dating prospects in the wizarding world are grim.

Hagrid / Dobby OTP

7. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Agreed on the Harry/Katie.

She's perfect for angsty, brooding Harry in a lot of ways. She's sporty, laid back, and isn't a pureblood. (I think?) Plus, imagine what would happen in sixth year when Malfoy nearly kills her. Hoo boy. Talk about a jumping off point for a fic that could go any number of ways, including some very dark ones.

8. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Hermione/Krum I want stories where Hermione says fuck it to books and cleverness and saving the world. Instead sodding off to Europe to become a WAG.

For the uninitiated WAG stands for wives and girlfriends of football (soccer) players. Think Victoria Beckham or Colleen Rooney.

9. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Harry/Hermione

This pairing has huge potential, but most HHr stories tend to be... overindulgent? The HHr romance fics I've read felt more like a backlash against Hermione/Ron than their own independent stories.

10. Ched

Media in general does this. Not every action flick has to have the main male lead get with the hottest female on the screen within a few days of knowing her, especially when he's busy literally saving the world (or whatever) during those few days.

11. Ched

Out of curiosity, what's the 'huge potential' here?

I'm not criticizing, but going to lay out my thoughts.

First, this is overdone in the fandom to the point that it spawned a bunch of 'sides' and 'ship wars' and shit years ago, and even JKR has said that maybe she should have done H/Hr. Now, I recognize that most of those fics are shit. But there are SO MANY H/Hr fics that some of them are decent and a fair few are actually good - I know I've read them and wish I had names for you.

Second, I've always felt that most of this appeal stemmed from the cliche of "main male lead gets main female lead" that we're used to seeing from media. It's boring and overdone, and I was personally quite happy that the "obvious/cliche" love interest ended up with the other best friend. Granted Ginny wasn't much better, and there's issues there with seeing WHY Harry was into Ginny, but even so.

Third, I'm not that interested in exploring this relationship more because most HP fics involve Hermione to a large extent. Whether they are dating or not doesn't really change that much (usually) in terms of plot and whatnot, because she's going to be there and be part of the story anyway. Pairing her off with Harry doesn't do anything interesting by itself, it just gives her a new role in the story in addition to everything else she's always doing - which is a lot.

I guess... Harry and Hermione get tons of 'independent stories' whether they're dating or not.

What is there to explore, really, that we can't explore with either a different pairing or with a regular fic where they aren't dating? Kinks specific to these two?

P.S. I feel that 95%+ of fics that involve a pairing at all are "overindulgent" with it.

12. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Fleur.

Aside from her being the single certified babe of canon, she brings the potential to explore and deepen the world around Harry. She's French and went to a different school, both links to different cultures that we can learn about. She's also part Veela which gives us yet another angle and culture to explore (admittedly, this is usually done horrendously).

Most importantly, by being both older and talented (Triwizard champion on her own merits), she is positioned to push Harry to new heights in his Hero's Journey by giving him someone to admire and seek to emulate that isn't Dumbledore. Also could go a long way to push him out of his 'just Harry' shell, as, while Fleur is canonically quite down-to-earth, he could assume that she wouldn't be interested in someone decidedly average.

It brings with it all the issues of what exactly does Fleur get out of being involved with someone who, when they meet, is very much beneath her notice, but a good author can handle that. My ideal Harry/Fleur has them growing together as friends for a while before Fleur is in any way remotely attracted to Harry, and them growing together as equals.

Sixth year AU that makes them friends and extends into seventh year as they grow together is the dream. It'd be perfect.

And now I miss The Halfblood Romantic. Oh well.

13. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Political romance stories.

A lot of people find her bossy and annoying (not wrong) but she's also very ambitious. What if in Hermione's desire to become Minister for Magic, she reaches too high too fast and gets burned? Harry has a lot to offer her here, having fame, wealth, clout, etc. You could write a great story about them revenging/politicking/whatever to get Hermione back on the throne. Next... what if Hermione is Minister, but she's implementing laws Harry doesn't agree with? There's lots of room for conflict without falling back on the "why are you eating with your mouth open!!" clichés. Conversely, what if a naïve Indy!Harry just received his seventeen lordship rings and now needs help navigating the evil!aristocratic!wizengamot? Assuming Harry doesn't turn into a blood purist overnight, Hermione is a decent choice of love interest here: she has similar values to Harry, she's a muggleborn (opposite of the evil wizengamot members), she into activism, and, most importantly, she does the things she says she's gonna do. Daphne the Ice Queen would probably just tell Harry everything he needs to know. With Hermione, they could figure it out together. Hermione also doesn't have the network that Daphne the Ice Queen theoretically has, so there might be more struggle involved for Harry to find his footing. It's a different flavor of story.

Would I want to read a fic about Harry warping to the founders era with [insert love interest] and have that love interest be Hermione? Not really. I don't think she brings a lot there. I'd rather Harry get with Helena Ravenclaw.

Anyway that's my take

14. Crownworthy

Crownworthy Banned

Harry/OC. All the ones with substantial basis in the source material have been explored plenty.

15. Ched

@Selethe I don't see why it needs to be H/Hr for most of that. Why can't the politicking etc be Harry helping his best friend? Or vice versa? What does making it a pairing add?

That's what I meant when I was trying to explain that I didn't see the appeal. All of that can happen without the pairing just as easily so why does the pairing need to be 'explored' for a story like that?

16. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

I mean, why does any story need a romance, right? I'm not an HHr fan, but I think I'd like it if given this particular window dressing. That's all I can say until someone writes it.

Shoehorning romance in every story is unnecessary. But I do like reading the romance genre. On top of that, I like reading romances with more substance than "he liked her, she liked him, they get married, the end."

Edit: The fandom should explore HHr more until it creates something I like.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Hunky older sports jocks?

18. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Harry/Romilda for the win.

19. Ched

NGL this actually has some potential. Not to mention potential parallels with Riddle's parents.

20. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I will never stop shipping Ron/Fleur. Greyback should have killed Bill, paving the way for Ron to swoop in and pick up the pieces.