1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Q3 2019 Story Competition has 18 DAYS LEFT! (September 9th)

Check out the Competition Page and get writing folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting/Fishing, and living off the land. Could you do it?

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Jamven, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Pretty simple topic. With far reaching consequences...

Do you hunt or fish? Both?

How often?

Could you survive off the land if need be?

Could you build yourself a simple shelter if something "bad" happens?

What would your first reaction be if you survived a global disaster?

For those that couldn't live off the land, how do you feel about that inbreed hick that survived in the backwoods of Alabama being the only hope for humanity?

...and anything else you might could think of...
    ---

I'll start first

Yes, both actually. Small game hunting for the most part. But I could skin a deer if I had to. I know how to make a crude spear if there were no guns to use.

How often?
    Not as much as I use to. I go fishing every now and then if I got a weekend free.

Could you survive off the land if need be? Could you build yourself a simple shelter if something "bad" happens?
    I believe that I could. To both actually. I'd feel bad for taking the animals life, but I'd rather live tbh...

What would your first reaction be if you survived a global disaster? What would be your first steps?
    Honestly, I would probably be in a state of shock for hours that followed. Mainly working on autopilot, trying to find a safe place to rest and find food. Then try looking for any possible survivors.

For those that couldn't live off the land, how do you feel about that inbreed hick that survived in the backwoods of Alabama being the only hope for humanity?
    N/A

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator DLP Gold Supporter

ok me then...

I know how to fish but dislike it, Only hunting I've done is fox hunting, and I can make rabbit snares. I've shot a gun all of once, but I can hit targets with a sling.

How often?
    Hardly ever now, but I used to go quite often before we moved house.

Could you survive off the land if need be? Could you build yourself a simple shelter if something "bad" happens?
    Completely depends on what terrain I was in and the weather/season. Ive been building shelters and dens since I could walk although I don't know how long one would last In bad weather. Surviving off the land... It would be extremely hard but depending on what resources were left (knives, guns, rope, containers, medication ect) and the circumstances of the 'badness.' I could possibly scratch some sort of living, my main concern would be winter, when that came around I would most probably, be fucked.

What would your first reaction be if you survived a global disaster? What would be your first steps?
    Shock, then I would find my family and other survivors and see what resources were left over, that would be essential. Once the group (or just me) had got a firm base of operations then try and communicate with everybody else by radio or phone..or smoke signals.
    Either everyones dead which means we would shortly follow or people are still alive which means some remains of government or the army is still running and we could evidentially be rescued.

If I couldn't, hell someone would have to survive.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  3. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Odd topic but I'll answer

Both. Usually big game, mainly deer, with both bow and rifle, and the occasional boar, and quail.

As for fishing, since I live in a beach area, it's a given. Gone spear-fishing thrice or so. Went freshwater fly-fishing once, but I suck at it.

How often?

Hunting about 5 or six times a year, since its expensive, but Deep sea fishing I go at least 2 a month. Been Fresh-water fishing a few times as well but I suck at it.

I thought I could after watching shows like Survivor-man and Man vs Wild (I know it's fake but he still teaches you some cool shit), and I know how to cut/skin fish and deer, and I can start a fire. But then I saw the movie Into The Wild, and saw how easy that guy died (ate poison leaves), and I'm not so sure anymore. Without a gun, bow, or rod, it would be really hard to forage for food. I might be able to make a spear with a knife, but again not sure. If I'm starving I wouldn't put it past me to eat whatever plants or bugs I see without knowing if they're harmful, and bam dead.

Depends where I am. If it's here in Florida, My friends and I once made a pretty good shelter out of Palm Trees, and if I'm in some rainforest or something, I might have a chance, or perhaps somewhere cold, where I can make an igloo, but If it's a bare environment, I probably wouldn't.

Well if my family is gone, I would probably grieve. Following that I would look for shelter, food, and water. Once I've established a decent sustainable area, I'd search for survivors.

Don't know who that is.

I think people underestimate how difficult it is living off the land. Clothing and warmth would be an issue, something I could never create. It's not just a matter of skinning a deer and bam you have a coat. Meat, unless cold will only last a few hours before maggots and flies get to it, so killing a deer will only feed you once, unless theirs snow, and you can freeze it. Thus you waste your entire day to hunt only to feed yourself once, and you won't be able to eat the entire deer. Wherever you are, chances are there is something poisonous and deadly to humans, so you have to be aware of what plants and animals are edible and which are not, something that isn't learned in an hour.

4. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator DLP Gold Supporter

Actually if you smoked the meat it can last a bit longer, and that can keep the flys away. And you would probably hunt smaller game like rabbits if you were alone and set up snares and traps.

5. Lindow

Lindow Professor DLP Supporter

I know how to fish, even though I haven't done it in a while. Could probably figure out how to hunt if given a chance.

How often?
    Haven't fished in a few years.

Yes. I'm postive I could build a shelter in nature. Use to make forts out of fallen tree limbs and such in the open space near my house all the time.

Shock obviously, but then I'd probably get a weapon incase I need it to fight off someone for the last remaining supplies or food or something. Then build a shelter and find food and other survivors I guess.

If some hick in Alabama was left to repopulate the world, I'm glad I'm dead.

6. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Both, I don't fish very often, but definitely know how it is done. I hunt pretty irregularly, mostly small game, but I have been to known to deer hunt or even bear hunt if I'm not too lazy.

How often?
    Not very often, but often enough that I am still capable.

Yep I'm pretty confidant I could if need be.

Yeah, I used to build forts in the woods below my house all the time. Plus I've seen a lot of movies.

I would try to make contact with someone, but immediately I would look for my family and shelter.

Doubtful someone else didn't survive.

7. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Yeah the guy in Into The Wild tried that with a moose, a lot harder to build a smoke house than it sounds.

8. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Do you hunt and/or fish? How often? I have done neither for some time, but I've proficiency with both. I imagine I could pick it up again pretty quickly.

Could you survive off the land if need be? Depends on the land. Where I live now, it's slim pickings compared with some of the places I've lived. (And I don't have anything powerful enough to bring down an elk or mule deer).

Could you build yourself a simple shelter if something "bad" happens? Yes.

What would your first reaction be if you survived a global disaster? Depends on the disaster. Survival from nuclear holocaust is much different from surviving a forest fire. The main elements of survival are the same--food, fire, shelter, water, navagation, and medicine; order of priority would depend somewhat on circumstances.

For those that couldn't live off the land, how do you feel about that inbreed hick that survived in the backwoods of Alabama being the only hope for humanity? Darwinism. She may well be more "fit" in the new world.

...and anything else you might could think of... I was an Eagle Scout as a kid and have had some formal survival training since then; I suspect I'd fare better than many, though I'd prefer not to put things to the test. A reference I recommend for those interested in basic survival techniques is excellent is SAS Survival Handbook by John Wiseman.

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Never hunted, don't know how and probably couldn't do it very well without some practice. Never skinned or scaled a thing in my life but I could probably manage a fish. I have and can spear fish, but that's about it. Never had any luck with regular.

I've tracked before, paintball ;). Reckon the same thing that applies to humans does for animals.

How often?

Grew up scouting so off and on for about 11 years, not so much anymore.

Yes.

More than a simple one, scouts was good for much.

Suicide.

10. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Done it for a week before on an island. Albeit there were others and we each got a match and a potato. We weren't allowed to interact with eachother though.

11. kalantha

kalantha Sixth Year

Do you hunt or fish? Both? Well I've never been hunting and I doubt if I ever do go I'll be very good at it, but I can fish, somewhat.

How often? I fish about two or three times a year, so very, very rarely. I'd like to fish more, but it's not exactly on the top ten things I want to do list.

Could you survive off the land if need be? Well, this is rather embarrassing, but truthfully I doubt I'd be able to. I'd like to think that I would have the knowledge and sense of how to go about doing so, but I'm rather sheltered and not much of a nature person.

As far as building a shelter goes it really depends on the resources available in the area, but I think that if need be I could certainly find a temporary shelter.

Well if I did in fact survive a globabl disaster I don't know exactly how I'd react, but I'd assume it'd be somewhere along the lines of mass panic.

For those that couldn't live off the land, how do you feel about that inbreed hick that survived in the backwoods of Alabama being the only hope for humanity? Well better him then me. At least he would have the survival skills to survive long enough to procreate and hopefully pass those skills along. Sure he would probably set back civilization several years but better to survive then to completely die out right? And anyways we all came from somewhere, I mean I'm sure he's probably better than a caveman.

12. Marsupial

Marsupial Headmaster DLP Supporter

I fish a couple times a year, but I don't hunt. I'm competent enough with a gun that small game wouldn't be a problem, assuming that my guns survive the event. If I'm without guns, I could probably get by trapping small game, but it would be touch and go.

Maybe.I'm reasonably sure I could get meat and/or fish, but beyond that it depends on the situation. If I can find a semi-intact library, I can learn edible plants easily enough. If seeds survive, I can plant a few things, if not, then there's enough farmland here that something edible will probably start growing wild after the event.

I couldn't in a desert or arctic tundra type environment, but anywhere else, yes, beyond doubt.

Ohshi-- followed by aimless wandering for a little while. Long term I would either head north towards the mountains of W Virginia (lots of coal and more wildlife) or east to the coast (got fish?).

I'd be dead. I'm not feeling anything but the maggots chewing through me. Besides, if I'm dead, humanity's obviously already fucked. :D

13. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    No. But I know how to shoot. And, if needed, I could probably find/create something sharp enough to stab with.

How often?
    Never.

I believe I might be able to. Shelter wouldn't be too much of a problem for me. I'm pretty handy. Surviving off the land would be hardest. I think I can take an animals life if I needed. My main issue is lack of knowledge about skinning and making the animals ready.

I would be scared at first. For the first few days I would probably feel very alone and scared. Eventually I would scavenge shops for food and supplies and try and find an empty house to live in.

14. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Never hunted, however I am profficient with rifles and bows. So while it would probably take me a while to actually hit anything with a killing blow, I doubt I would starve. I can fish with a rod, or improvising a rod (stick, string, and gum believe it or not.) Never spear fished however, and I have no doubt I would suck since I can never get my mind past the angles of relection created by water.

How often?
    Fishing, on and off. Hunting never

Depends what kind of equipment I had, but odds are I probably could unless I was in some type of barren land. Unfortanatley I can't rule out that I would manage to kill myself doing something idiotic like eating a poisonous berry that I thought was a tasty Rasberry.

Unless there were extreme cirumstances, yes.

Panic

Darwinism at its best. If that happened then maybe it would be a sign that humans are becoming to complacent and we should stop buying all our food at grocery stores and such.

15. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I've fished before, back when I did the boy scout thing. Never hunted before, and I'm not naive enough to think that target shooting would automatically make me an expert hunter.

How often?

Not since the beginning of highschool, so...9 years, about, out of practice.

In theory, easily. However, my available resources, physical limitations/injuries, environment, and determination would play a large factor.

To be frank, if I were desperate, I'd have no problem stealing resources either. Boiling water in a leaf is all well and good, but no one did that after Katrina struck...

I'd probably despair, depending on who I lost (family, significant other, friends) - that alone can kill people. I'd like to think I'd pull it together and try to survive/help others, but I honestly can't say. Depressing to think about, really.

I believe in Titan A.E..

16. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Hunt, fish, trap, can use a sling decently.

How often

Hunt mule deer, elk, antelope every year. Have a bi-yearly rabbit hunting trip. Go fishing a few times a summer. Can spear fish decently. Fly fish... no. Sling is mostly for fun although I've been able to hit a quail.

Yes. Although depending on the area it may be hard as fuck. Northeast Nevada=bad place for this in some parts.

Shock would be first. Then grief followed by getting my shit together. Shelter first. Then make a freezer in the ground. All the while taking stuff from grocery stores and the like. Pop-tarts will keep for 5 years. Stock up.

17. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I used to go fishing a lot with my dad when I was a kid. Haven't done it in years though. Hunting? Never, and probably never will. Aside from my aversion to guns, I don't thing I could ever look something in the eye and pull the trigger.

How often?
    I went fishing almost everyday back when I was 10. Never now. :(

No. I'm way too used to big cities to have even a chance of surviving in the wild.

Contact my family and friends, stay with them, and probably become religious :p

Eh. Not the greatest set of genes, but enough generations and further evolution/mutations ought to sort out any problems in the gene pool.

18. MofoNofo

MofoNofo Seventh Year

Since it's kinda illegal to own a gun here unless under very special circumstances (Australia), hunting is out of the question. I can fish; and I have also been spear fishing (fucking hard, btw). I also know how to make a home-made fly rod, so that's okay too, I guess.

How often?
    Been spear fishing about 6 times, I think. With regular fishing, I used to go every second weekend, until I was about 14. Nowadays, I usually head up with my uncles boat every month.

I got a couple abo friends that could help meh with bush tucker :D. I can also identify a few of my own bush food, if need be (ever since that trip to Ayres Rock). Simple shelter? Maybe.

Get together with my family. Grab a 3L bottle of water :p

Idk about Alabama, but if there's any abos around willing to help us other blokes out, good on them.

19. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to

Both.

How often?

Almost every other week. Just got back from a fishing trip in Alaska.

Maybe, If its the Desert then yes. If not then no.

Find food, water and shelter. Shelter first, then water, and lastly food.

I do a horrible pig impression. And can't play the banjo.

20. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

I hunt fairly often, though mostly small game and kangaroos. I'll be going deer hunting for the first time ever in a few weeks so practice there would help. I've only fished about 3 times in my whole life though.

How often?

Fishing, as said very rarely. Hunting, usually around 6 or 7 times a year. Mostly weekend stays at the farm, though occasionally week long or more.

Easily. I've done Cadets and Scouts for a long time and my Uncle's 'camping trips' are usually driving out into the outback with some tarp and a rifle.

No problem. Quality level of the shelter would of course depend on the materials nearby, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Sitting in a state of shock and depression for a while. Work out what I would be doing, organize a safe house and get some food and water. Then look for survivors. Depending on the type of emergency would probably affect my actions. At some point, suicide may come in to it, though I like to think I'd push on.

*looks around shiftily*

What? I don't come from Alabama.