1. Fanfic Competition -- Topic -- HOGWARTS DAYS

Word count? 500-17500 words!

Due date? October 2nd! CLICK HERE! write now!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Hunting the Grim by Sophprosyne

Discussion in 'Review Board' started by Drachna, May 4, 2022.

1. Drachna

Drachna Seventh Year

High Score:
    Title: Hunting the Grim
    Author: Sophprosyne
    Rating: T
    Genre: Tragedy/Drama
    Library Category: The Dark Arts
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: Betrayal and isolation are a disquieting combination. Forced to accept life altering truths about Sirius Black, Harry must fulfil his potential in order to right an injustice over a decade old. PoA.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12495358/1/Hunting-the-Grim

So, to put it simply, this is a classic revenge story. Harry thinks that Sirius Black might be gunning for him, and decides to start flexing his magical muscles so that he might have a fair chance. And then he finds out the 'truth' about Sirius, and, with his new found skill with combative magic, his objectives shift from self defence to revenge.

I think that the writing is great, I was hooked from the first chapter and I didn't notice any glaring errors, or any errors at all really. The story is relatively short as these things go, but it's punchy. There aren't any wasted words to be found.

I think that Harry is characterised very well, and I quite like the friendship he develops with Cedric. I enjoyed the depiction of magical combat and theory it felt very real and vivid, but the author didn't get bogged down with the details.

I won't spoil the ending, but all I'll say is that it's a tragedy in every sense of the word.

5/5.