1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

I was thinking...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by se7en, Aug 21, 2006.

1. se7en

se7en Professor

I consider Magic to travel through waves. And as a caster moves the wand and states the incantation, the wand creates a different kind of wave, which creates the different spells.
    But what if you made a wand that specificaly was trained into one kind of wave? Like a instant Crucio just by pointing it at someone. You could have a wand that could shoot out avada kedavra's 10x faster because there is only one kind of wave freq., meaning that all you have to do is point, and exert a little bit of magic onto the wand to make the spell shoot out.

Just a thought, after throwing up my stomach at 4:30 in the morning.

2. CGB

CGB Auror

The idea is interesting and you could certainly use it in fanfiction. But I personally don't agree with your theory. I don't think magic travels in waves, because then you would with a levitation charm levitate all objects around you. I think magic isn't explainable with physics, it just is. For example a levitation charm is more like a invisible hand, that takes the objects and moves it, whereas the magic in some banishing curses are for example like shock waves that banish all things within a certain degree.
    But your theory sounds solid and I like it.

3. se7en

se7en Professor

I think magic has something to do with waves because the wand channels the magic, creating spells. But wandless magic is much more difficult, because there is really nothing to channel waves from. Like a radio. If you tune into a different frequency, you get a different channel. If you had a wand with only one channel, fighting could be much more effective. Like have two wands; one with an offensive spell, and one with a sheild of some sort.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Could be, but you're forgetting that its not the wand that makes the spell. It just focuses it. I think its the person who 'creates' the spell, inside him, and releases it through the wand movement and incantation (though that could be got rid of)