1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete "I Was Whole, Whole I Would Remain" by DwellingOnDreams

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Strangebloke, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Strangebloke

Strangebloke First Year

Title: I Was Whole, Whole I Would Remain
    Author: Dwellingondreams
    Genre: AU (rebellion era)
    Library Category: Other Fandoms
    Pairings: various

https://archiveofourown.org/works/18542842/chapters/43949878

This is a good fanfiction.

First, the premise: When Aerys dies unexpectedly and his heir, Rhaegar, is nowhere to be found, Rhaella and Elia, the Queen Mother and the Queen Consort must work together to save Westeros.

Bam. Great premise. I love it from the start for three reasons.
    1. It is centered on little loved, often ill-respected characters in the fandom who should be significant but are always sidelined.
    2. It has a real gut-punch starter, with the King coughing up blood after exerting himself too hard raping his wife. Really gets things off to a fast start
    3. It is centered on the girls! And its not centered on their sex lives! Who knew women did other things than have sex?
    But good premises are easy. How is the execution?

Oh. Well. Its very good. The prose is simply beautiful. Gorgeous. The descriptions drip off the page and its apparent that the writer is a highly literate person who draws from a deep knowledge of the English language.

The characters are rich and carry distinct voices, especially as they're often operating at cross purposes and have completely different conceptions of right and wrong. We jump from Lyanna in one chapter, trusting completely in Rhaegar's assurance that "Elia and the Faith will be okay with bigamy" to Elia herself in the next chapter going "Oh HEEEEELLLL no."

It isn't a perfect fanfic. The descriptions break the flow at times and certain sequences are recycled. If you read the thing in one go you'll find yourself skipping over certain paragraphs where a a character says something they said 2-3 chapters ago. Certain characterizations are somewhat questionable and feel almost cartoonish. But the core, the heart of the story, women trying to guard themselves and their children in a world that's out to get them... that is damn near perfect. Easy 5/5.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020