1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

If you could do anything...

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Joe, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Marsupial

Marsupial Death Eater DLP Supporter

Probably become a semi-hermit somewhere in the northeast of England or southern Scotland, and split my time between pottery, blacksmithing, and jewelry making. Might add my current profession (archaeological/museums object conservation/restoration) into the mix as a hobby, as long as I could tell the people in charge to fuck off with their dumb ideas every time they try to get me to implement one of their dumb ideas.

2. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Order Member DLP Supporter

Obligatory doin ur mum.

Were I more ambitious I'd say I'd be President of the United States, leading the country and the world into a golden age by following the orders of the secret DLP illuminati. I would cement my legacy by being minimally competent and restoring dignity to the office.

More likely I'd follow the footsteps of Manet from The Name of the Wind/The Wise Man's Fear. I'd stay in and around academia forever, engaging in conversation with all fields of knowledge, auditing all sorts of classes and amusing myself with quirky shop classes and science labs, all without worrying about obligations or shit like homework.

3. 13thadaption

13thadaption Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I'd be backpacking/motorcycle touring around the planet, and writing about it. Or writing something else entirely while doing it, whatever I felt like.

I want to go caving in Vietnam, and visit Mayan ruins in Guatemala. I want to follow the Steppe Route across Eurasia and see what's left of the battlefield at Verdun.

I suppose I mostly just want to experience more than my small corner of the world.

4. Sorrows

Sorrows Auror Prestige DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    @13thadaption I recommend caving in Vietnam. The caves around Phong Nha are like Dwarven Halls, genuinely some of the most magnificent things nature have ever made. If you want to get into Hang Sơn Đoòng though you need to have a spare grand and book about a year in advance, at least until they put that environment-ruining cable-car straight through the middle of it.

5. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Minister of Magic

Man, I'd own a gym. A small one, with dingy lighting and equipment so old it needs tape to hold it together. Certain gyms you just walk into, and the atmosphere is completely different than a commercial gym.

Plus it would give me so much more time to read. I can't remember the last time I had the time to sit down and read a book in one or two sittings.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

I'd sit in a room and design a better society, enact it, and then enjoy it anonymously.

7. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

I'd sit somewhere with a nice view and keep writing. Maybe I'd travel a bit, but I'm unsure there. It's an interest of mine right now, but I haven't yet really travelled alone, so who knows how much I actually like it. So, back to the beach/mountain house and my writing: add to that a mean gaming rig, a stable social circle for fun, and a family, and I think I'm pretty much set. Would be good if my novels sold eventually though, or I'd feel like a bum for not doing anything else.

8. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would like to amend my previous answer.

Step 1: Buy a kick ass castle.

Step 2: Hire a modelling agency to put out a casting call for A) A French blonde, B) A busty redhead C) an outgoing British Indian girl and D) a blonde or black haired heiress with a frosty exterior and a heart of gold.

Step 3: Insist that said models go by the names of Fleur, Susan, Parvati and Daphne.

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Profit.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    I'd probably stay in the UK, although with enough funds to make regular trips abroad. I'd move to a city, or at least a bigger town than the dead-end place I'm currently living in - maybe Oxford or Cambridge, or somewhere similar; plenty to do, but not as busy as the really big cities. My main occupation would be writing, potentially with some study on the side, although that's a much lesser priority.

On a similar note to Careotters, I'd also quite like to have my own store, but while there would be a bookshop component, I'd have it more as a cafe/bar/restaurant/bookshop/cinema/gaming/writing workshop extravaganza. Somewhere you could buy stuff, yes, but also somewhere you can hang out, make friends, generally be nerdy. That's a bit more of a pipe dream than anything else, though.

10. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    If becoming a Harry Potter-style wizard is don't count, I would like to be able to turn back time. Go to sleep one night and wake up in my own bed back when I was so and so old.

11. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Death Eater DLP Supporter

Sounds odd, and surprises me a bit, but... Wouldn't change a godamn thing.

I like my job (or at least the environment and my co-workers) the City I live in ain't perfect, but it works for me. I'm near the mountains, I have friends. I'm married to a beautiful (and very patient) woman. I've got my routine and my needs are all met.

Maybe I'd take more vacations, maybe have a small place on the west coast I could pop out to once in a while, maybe actually finish a fucking manuscript. But life in general?

I'm right where I want to be.

12. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Arrange situation so that I have a defined income that doesn't need hands on maintenance.

Throw a dart at a map of the world.

Travel to the place with backpack.

Start backpacking.

After I've spent adequate time in every country in the world, reconsider OP.

13. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I'd run a taco truck, although I waver back and forth between a few different places to do it. Tromsø, Norway is usually what I use as my standard dream, but I'd probably be alright with more than a few others - Singapore, various places in the UK, Halifax... I've been a lot of places, and loved most of them. And I'd love to feed them all.

14. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    Anywhere? Anything?

I’d be married to my girl (proposing this summer) with no plans for children.

We would have built our own medieval style castle with modern furnishings (electricity, WiFi, etc) and secret passageways. There would be a ‘dungeon’ with an obstacle course or something of that nature.

Finally, it would be large enough that we would open our own school for deaf and hard of hearing students to learn and educate themselves. It would also be a school for ASL interpreters.

15. Alistair

Alistair First Year

I think my aspirations are somewhat different to many on here. I don't actually have a specific experience in mind. I've got loads of things I'd like to do, and I've even done some of them, but ultimately, most of these things are fairly transient. What I really want, and value most of all, is the freedom to do them.

One day, I'll reach a position where I can wake up, get a call from a friend asking whether I'd like to do something and make the call based purely on what I want. Not 'I want to, but can I afford it?' or'I want to, but do I have the holiday?', just 'Do I want to?'

That might be to take three months riding my motorcycle to Mongolia, it might be a weekend fly-fishing in New Zealand or it might be to simply order in Domino's and watch Blue Planet, doesn't matter. What's important is that freedom. Not many people have that in their lives, and for me, that's the end goal.

All I need to achieve it is to accumulate sufficient wealth to be free of such worldly concerns as 'employment', whilst also having the resources to fund my activities without concern. It would also be handy if I could employ an extremely competent PA to deal with the irritating details like visas and getting the jet to where it needs to be. I also need to retain my health and avoid having children.

Sounds trivial when you say it like that, but that's what I want, and it's what I'm working towards.

16. Rah

Rah Unspeakable

Similar, mine would be a weed lounge/bar that doesn't have to be a cash machine. A passion project really.

Besides that, I would want to travel across Europe (Oriental Express!) and experience different cultures and cuisines.

Edit: Also I would build a house somewhere (preferably without as much snow as New England has) that has a library with all my favorite books. There would be a specific book that when you pulled it out, a secret door would slide open leading to a cozy room/alcove covered in pillows and blankets with a gaming system and a TV as well as all my smoking stuff. Somewhere I could go just to get away from whatever family I had at the time.

Also @Taure same on the outgoing British Indian girl.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  17. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Ideally, I'd be independently wealthy living somewhere in Edinburgh. A small, old house with the focus on a library. Revolving bookshelves and a fully stocked lambic/whisky bar would be a must. I'd want a handful of my close friends living nearby to own/operate a dive bar with me. Travelling every month to wherever I desired in my own plane. Minimum of two large dogs.

18. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    North Carolina? I understand that they're well below 1000 speakers now. A long-time collaborator of mine is a guy whose family are Cherokee (from Oklahoma) and he mentioned there being around 10,000 speakers with his dialect. He taught his daughters, who learned grudgingly, though it seems increasingly unlikely that they will embrace the traditions and culture.

In New Mexico, my son's high school offers Tewa as a language/culture option for students. Given that there are fewer than two thousand speakers left, pretty much all in the local pueblos, it's arguably not the most practical, but perhaps the most culturally significant option.

19. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Headmaster DLP Supporter

Weirdly enough, most of where I'm at now is what I'd want most. I'm about to finish uni, studying things I'm interested in. I fill my free time with projects and learning new skills, and still have time to meet friends, play a few video games, and read/write for pleasure. Sure, I might wish that I lived in a different locale, traveled a bit more, had friends closer. I'd be more happy as a student if I didn't consider the financial aftermath, though I've thankfully mitigated the majority of that.

I think it's a temporary thing though. I have never been content where I am. I go through intense phases of interest in something, and I'm pretty experienced in just packing up and starting over somewhere new. I have no real loyalty or ties to any particular place, be it a state, city, school, etc.

All of my long term desires are a process rather than a destination. Any skill I master, I move on from. After visiting parts of the world that I've dreamt of, I just replace them in my list with new places.

I'm reminded of one of the Wall Street movies, where they ask "What's your number?" Your number being the number that would be enough to walk away, be happy with what you have. The guy who's asked responds with "More."

20. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah 1k is over representing the number of speakers left on the NC rez. Cherokee for the Cherokee children/those on the role should be mandatory not optional. OK Cherokee are different than NC Cherokee by a large margin.