1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

Complete Ignite by Slide - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Silly, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Silly

Silly First Year

High Score:
    Title: Ignite
    Author: Slide
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Drama
    Chapters: 37
    Words: 199,673
    Updated: November 3, 2013
    Published: June 25, 2012
    Library Category: Probably General
    Pairings: Scorpius/Rose
    Summary: A mysterious illness leaving a mere handful of uninfected. A school in quarantine, isolated from the outside world. Danger on all sides, striking seemingly at random. And, at the heart of it all, Scorpius Malfoy, the only man to believe this is a part of a wider, dangerous plot. Part 1 of the Stygian Trilogy.
    Link: FFN

Also has two sequels, Starfall and Oblivion.

I'm suprised that this story hasn't been mentioned anywhere on these forums. I stumbled across the series about a month or so ago and have been slowly making my way through it. It's quite a monster (the three fics clock in at around 200k, 350k, and 360k words respectively), but it's good. I haven't finished it yet (currently close to the end of the third fic), but anything that can keep my interest for nearly 900k words definitely deserves to be here.

Anyways, this story is great. It's long, complete, and quite well written technically - all good signs. The plot and adventure is relatively interesting (especially the second and third fics, which aren't set at Hogwarts but are instead "magical treks across the globe"). However, I think what sets this story apart from the rest is the author's ability to craft real, interesting characters. The story is set in the next generation, meaning the author gets to develop their own unique plot and there is no real retreading of canon, a big plus. But the downside is that this generally leads to the problem of "too many boring OC characters that I don't really feel a connection with". This author navigates that problem quite well though. Every significant character, including those that are OCs, has their own flaws and struggles and their own moments of character development, making them unique and interesting, and I feel myself actually invested in what happens to each of them. The plotline is not only interesting for its own sake, but also very important because it forces each character to develop and change as they respond to the events at hand.

Now that's not to say that the story is perfect. There are definitely moments that are slightly cliche to read. And there are a lot of feel bad moments where emotions are high and the main characters become gigantic assholes at each other, and because I'm so invested into these characters it makes me feel sad as well. But I guess that's just life.

In short, this story has a lot going for it. You should read it. It's great. 5/5 would rate again.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  2. Harshmate

Harshmate First Year

High Score:
    I don't know how to give a proper review. So I'll just write what I felt while reading the story.

I've tried a few post-Hogwarts fics and never really liked them. They are always filled with characters I have no attachment to. But I gave this a shot because the premise was interesting. And then I just kept on reading.

The characters are really good. The protags Scorpius, Rose, and Albus feel like actual people. Actual teenagers who made dumb decisions that I can relate to. Every time I see their stupid reasoning I get giddy because that is exactly what I would have thought. They start out as well written but common archetypes and improve throughout the story.

The first few chapters introduce you to the characters and their relationships. IMO, the first dozen and a half chapters were the best. I genuinely cared about their teenage drama. The middle chapters meandered a bit and I did feel bit bored. But by the end the story had again picked up and the plot was interesting enough.

Also, the story is well written. It isn't just lines and lines of dialogue. There is a lot of detail mixed in with the dialogue. Things happened because of the characters' decisions. And I didn't find an exposition dump that took me out of the story. Hogwarts felt like an actual school where I wouldn't mind living.

The story is not very complicated. In fact, you pretty much know the various story beats already. But it felt like I was reading an actual YA novel. And honestly, if you don't care about the characters then you are not going to like this story. The whole mystery is more or less an excuse to get the characters to interact.

I haven't read HP in a long time but I feel this could be an actual continuation.

The middle chapters, as a said earlier, got a tad boring. Though that could be because I read this in one go while I have a cold and would definitely read this again so 4.5/5.

I haven't read the sequels.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran Persona 4 Admin

Anyone else read this and the sequels and willing to leave a review?

4. coolname95

coolname95 First Year

I read the first fic.

The writing was technically good, except for some minor annoyances (repetition of some phrases). Once or twice I felt like the characters talked about a plot point that either hadn't been introduced or I completely missed -- maybe I'm just inattentive.

I liked the plot and the setup, and the characters seemed to be written well enough. The major drawback is, in my opinion, the excessive length. After a good start, a lot of the chapters felt like forced drama between the students. It didn't feel 'realistic'. The fic could have been tens of thousands of words shorter and probably been better for it.

Still, I read it till the end and plan on reading the sequels. I think it's library-worthy. 4/5 from me. I'll edit this comment once I've read the sequels.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  5. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Auror DLP Supporter

So I just finished the third book in this series, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The writing quality is very good, and the plot is quite intricate - spanning all three books - and left sufficiently few loose ends that I was pleasantly surprised at the fairly tidy wrapping up of it all.

The characters - original series , descendants, and original - all feel like real people to me, which is a rarity. They're flawed, they have good and bad days, mood swings (which are a bit much at times, I admit, but so are actual people's)... it's well done, and very rarely feels like a chore to get through.

The best part of it, to me, is the underlying magic they're all dealing with in this. I'm a sucker for a good bit of legend-level magical exploration, and this has some of the best examples of it since the first time I read Wastelands. Without all the brain-fuckery that Joe is fond of though. :)

All in all, not a bad way to pass time, and I'd recommend it. 4 to 4.5/5 for me.