1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Imprisoned Realm by LoveHP - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Mordac, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Title: Imprisoned Realm
    Author: Lovehp
    Rating: M
    Genre: Angst/Drama
    DLP Category: Time Travel Fics
    Pairing: None yet.

Summary: A trap during the Horcrux hunt sends Harry into a dimension where war has raged for 28 years. Harry must not only protect himself from Voldemort, but also from a rising new Dark Lord, the evil Ministry and a war hardened Dumbledore... and himself... Will he find his way back home to finish his own war? Warning for rape, torture, murder,violence & mental issues.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2705927/1/

Updated: 05-23-15 -LR

2. FantasyDuck

FantasyDuck Second Year

The idea is interesting and the story so far has been very entertaining. A very promising fic.

4/5

3. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Not to bad, reminds of some other story I read a while ago. Dont know the name. 4/5.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Not bad at all. I would prefer if Harry was a bit closer to his counterpart's magical level, but hopefully, he'll improve over time and won't become a sniveling bitch once the truth gets out.

4/5

5. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Been following this since it came out. The idea of meeting up with parents in alternate dimension is done in a fresh way. It gives a nice break compared to many other 'instant connection with alternate parents' stories out there. Looks interesting with the elements revealed so far.

Recommended. 4/5

6. kit

kit Second Year

I like how James is portrayed, it makes alot of sense, rather than the usual forgiving parents you find in these stories. On a diffrent note, why didn't anyone offer Harry Veritiserum? (sp?)

7. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

The link is no longer valid. A quick google search turned up an alternate link at ff.net.

Interesting concept, but badly executed. Writing mechanics are clunky and unskilled, and the characterization of OCs and canon characters is decidedly lackluster. Too many exclamation points. Too many stupid quote tags. Badly realized dialect. Stilted dialogue. Difficult to follow, and not for reasons of artistry. Probably abandoned.

1/5

EDIT: After further thought, 2/5 is a more appropriate rating.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  8. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Thanks for the new link.

Are you certain your comments are for the right story? I thought it wasn't so bad, certainly better than must of what gets a 1/5 around here.

It's not outstanding, but at least has some interesting twists on the alternate dimension thing (where emo Harry's welcomed with open arms into a loving family who all ooh and aah over his exploits in his dimension). Through 7 chapters, I'd probably rate it a 3/5.

9. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I agree with Pers. Took another look at this story, and I'd rate it maybe a 3/5 - nothing special, but not terrible either.

10. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

Hold on, let me check.

Yep, right one.

I'll grant that the writing gets better after the first few chapters (sort of), so perhaps 1/5 is a bit harsh. No way I'd elevate this all the way to a 3/5, though.

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Fair enough. I tend to skim over the mechanics of the "and now they jump into the dimensional portal thingee" thingee, so I missed that sad bit of writing. The writer does improve later on, which is most of what I based my rating on.

For what it's worth, my ratings go:
    5/5: Outstanding, deserves to be in DLP's C2
    4/5: Good, should be in the Library
    3/5: Suitable for the Recycling Bin
    2/5: Not good enough for the Recycling Bin, but not so bad as to make me want to hurt someone
    1/5: Beware

I thought it was about right for the Bin, given its awkward bits, the slight overuse of dogs' cocks (!), and how it's unlikely to be finished (or even updated, for that matter). I could understand a 2/5, though, especially with the loose/lose error in the title of the last chapter.

12. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

That's fair too. I'd change my vote to a 2/5 if I could, and I think my initial 1/5 rating was a gut reaction to good-god-why-is-this-in-the-Library.

13. neopyro

neopyro Third Year

Ugh... 2/5 for me. "Hi there, I'm Harry. Everyone thinks I'm a murderer. I'm going to escape as soon as I can so that I look even more guilty!" Derp derp derp.

Mediocre writing, short chapters and no characters that have anything resembling common sense. It would be 1/5, but there are so many stories out there that are worse.

Couldn't get past chapter 6. Maybe it improves from there, but I highly doubt it.

14. Saruh

Saruh Squib

I would give this a 3/5, if only because I enjoy reading dimensional travel stories. I suppose a 2/5 is also suitable, but the story isn't bad enough to warrant a 1/5 from me. There really are worse fics out there.

15. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Title: Imprisoned Realm
    Author: LoveHP
    Rating: M
    Pairings: Harry/OC
    Summary: A trap during the Horcrux hunt sends Harry into a nightmarish dimension where war has reigned for 28 years. Other thing worse than Voldemort, the evil Ministry of Magic, the threat of a new Dark Lord & parents who despise him is the new situation Harry's thrust into.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2705927/1/Imprisoned-Realm

A very solid story, and a very old one too (it's a contemporary of Jono's A Stranger in an Unholy Land and has a similar premise, but takes it in a different direction). It doesn't show its age however; it was ahead of its time enough to still be an excellent read now (for example, the author incorporated Grindelwald into the storyline years ahead of anyone else).

The writing is beautiful too and the author's been updating consistently for the last year now, so I think it's worth a look and a place in the Library.

4.5/5.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  16. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Sorry, I tried to read it, but just couldn't get into it at all.
    I would be hard pressed to say what exactly I disliked about it, but the way Harry was written just ticked me off.

Since I didn't finish reading this even halfway, I wont rate it.

17. frantic

frantic Boosted

I read it all. It's consistently good, and takes an interesting twist on the "Harry in another world" thing. Dumbledore and Grindelwald are both very well written, and I've really enjoyed what I've read so far.

4.5/5, rounded down to 4 because it is currently veering on the edge of a poor plotline.

EDIT: Andro, I do hope you're back on a more permanent basis this time because I've missed your fics.

18. Andro

Yeah, that is true. The whole Atoner arc has been... below the standard the author has set for himself. He still managed to write some good moments in there.

I am back! with one more fic incoming. Saving the best for last.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  19. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Honestly, it wasn't heinous. I don't see why this fanfic warrants the average rating that it has been receiving.

4/5

20. Andro

Someone bombed it with a 1 star rating right after I made the thread, that dragged it down a bit.