1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Incremental Improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Utsane, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I don't know about you, but my favorite trope is when, in the summer before fifth year, Harry joins a martial arts dojo and Bruce-Lee-with-a-wand steps into the Hogwarts Express 2 months later.

If you were Harry, and you realized in the summer before your fifth year that you needed to be stronger/smarter/better in some way, what do you think would make the biggest difference by the time September rolls around?

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly? Rereading his books and grounding himself better in magical theory. That's the main thing I think that would provide the most help.

Also, just running every day. Being more physically fit isn't a bad thing.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, if I'm planning it out with my knowledge now rather than my knowledge when I was an idiot 15 year old? The absolute stereotype of "Harry starts running every day to get in shape" is actually a pretty reasonable. Most gyms aren't going to let a 15 year old join, so running is your best and cheapest way to get in shape over the course of a 2 month period.

And in terms of academics, if I was Harry? I'd go with the other stereotype of "going back through his books and making sure he learned everything he needed to know". The attitude he displays to his learning in the first few books make it look like he probably didn't take everything in, especially in classes he didn't like such as potions. 2 months to reread 4 years of textbooks and make sure you're familiar with all the concepts? Seems reasonable.

4. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Hmm. Fun question! I'd never thought about putting myself in those shoes before. Voldemort really is a looming threat when all you really are is a schoolboy.

I think I'd try to hire a tutor for duelling and academics. Plunder the ol' stereotypical Potter funds (I don't really believe Harry would have much left to his name, but I'm of the firm opinion that funds are useless if you're dead in a few years, and more funds are easy to acquire when you're a celebrity) - or convince Order members and the like to do it for free.

I'd want to focus on duelling and defence, and hopefully, you can get around the trace as you see in fanon by being with a qualified wizard so I'd get a lot of practice. After that it's potions, of course - I'd be one of those paranoid people carrying a magic pocket of explosions, smoke bombs, and healing potions. At all times. And definitely get a second wand to hide somewhere for when I'm disarmed. No one expects the second wand. Maybe a third wand too...

After that, acquire Dobby of course. It's obvious, jeez. I'd ask him to live with me because you know that elf is more paranoid than anyone. Talk about an early warning system. Maybe we can help him through his issues while we're at it.

Also I'd like to see if snakes can possess enough loyalty/be bribed enough to act as a defence too...

Oh god. If I were Harry Potter I'd basically be playing a tower defence game. Come at me, Voldemort.

5. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

To say what hasn't been said, the whole lesson of Order of the Phoenix was about the wisdom of giving a reasonable degree of trust to adults who have been consistently helping you. I've seen fic after fic of how Harry could have received advanced training from Dumbledore, as if he doesn't have any other jobs to do, or what he could have accomplished going on missions with his unconditionally supportive ally Sirius. If fan-Harry is so bound and damn determined to using adults to his advantage, the best thing he could do, and it's a totally minuscule thing, is to have a little faith in them for a change. Part of growing up is learning to think for yourself, learning to rely on yourself, but independent thought doesn't have to mean independent actions.

6. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Hermione mentioned in Goblet of Fire that its possible to use transfiguraton to give you extra powers, so I would ask Dumbledore to do something like that for me, maybe in exchange for a generous dontation to Hogwarts from my fortune, should he refuse I ask him if he can recommend somebody capable who would. I think that is the biggest difference I could make before fifth year starts, otherwise reading my school books should help a little.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  7. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

We're all here trying to level up and get fit... meanwhile, aAlouda becomes a cat boy. ;)

8. Mordecai

High Score:
    Say what? That sounds like some prime fanon, and I'm not recalling any quotes that would say that?

9. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Have fun spending your summer running hours each day, while I enjoy playing with yarn and eating tuna.
    It was when they were thinking of how Harry can get past the Dragon

10. Mordecai

High Score:
    Huh, ok yeah. I hadn't thought of it like that. I suppose it could be taken to mean you can transfigure yourself to have additional powers.