1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Indian Elections

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trooper, May 7, 2014.

1. Constans

Constans Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Actually quite disturbing. The last Murli Manohar Joshi era "saffronization", amongst other things, gave us "A for Arjun" and "R for Rishi" in primary school textbooks.

2. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think that's the first time I've ever given a "morose chuckle."

3. vinais

vinais Second Year

This election actually seems to be about whether Modi gets a clear majority or not.. I think congress will count it as a victory simply if they are able to prevent a NDA (the BJP Coalition) clear majority.

Another unique thing about this election is the superb use of the media by the BJP propaganda machine.. Congress and especially Rahul Gandhi have been made to look like chumps time and time again not only on Television but Facebook, Whatsapp and SMS'es as well.

4. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

All the talk shows and debates in the news here has been concentrating all its focus on Modi. Rahul Gandhi and Kejrival are barely getting any face time compared to Modi. I don't think there has been a more polarising figure in India till now. (Constans will probably disagree).

5 days to ago.

5. Constans

I do. Indira Gandhi

6. Trooper

Trooper Order Member

This. And Rajiv Gandhi to a lesser extent. Although it might be that the extreme elements in our society used Rajiv Gandhi's actions to inflame the situation more. Rather than his actions being intentionally inflammatory.

7. Constans

I'd probably replace 'Rajiv Gandhi' with 'Jawaharlal Nehru' and keep everything else that you just wrote, word for word.

8. Trooper

Trooper Order Member

Lol Yeah. But that 1984 Rajiv Gandhi Campaign though...

"Will Your Grocery List, in the Future, include Acid Bulbs, Iron Rods, Daggers?"
    "Will the Country's Border Finally Move to Your Doorstep?"

These were some of the open ads run by the Rajiv Gandhi campaign with obvious references to the Sikhs and Tamils. And Ironically devised before the murder of Indira Gandhi. And this also in a time when DoorDarshan was pretty much majority of the media by itself.

I consider them way more polarizing than anything the Narendra Modi group has devised. At least amongst the officially used ones.

9. Trooper

Trooper Order Member

So the Exit Polls lulz has started up and I'm ready with my popcorn and sandwich.

The stock market though...

Just face palm.

:/

10. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

Lol. /9char

11. Trooper

Trooper Order Member

Well Now.

Guess I'm gonna get my wish of a stable government after all. :awesome

And lulz at Arnab Goswami being shown in Times Square NY. That's just...

12. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

Looks like BJP has an outright majority, been a few decades since this happened.

13. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

I estimated TDP to win 100 assembly seats which is exactly what is happening right now. calutron, I live in AP and know most of the current day politics. Looking forward to some development by Chandra Babu Naidu.

BJP is currently leading in 340 LS seats. This exceeded even my expectations. I was giving them about 320 seats. And the trend of the countings is that the winning party gains much more seats as the counting closes. Maybe they will get 360-380. Who knows.

Looking forward to India becoming a super power.

14. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Never expected such a landslide victory for the National Democratic Alliance(NDA). Then again, can't say Rahul Gandhi and the UPA don't deserve these results.

It's jail for life for the YSRCP head Jagan now that he failed to win the election. Can't find any sort of sympathy for the man.

15. Trooper

Trooper Order Member

:nyan: <-------------- I think you were missing this icon in the end there.

So yeah, lets all calm down a little shall we?

We'll talk about being a, ahem, "Superpower" after they remove the economy from its current slump. If they can. :rolleyes:

16. Constans

Agreed. Using 3D taps and one toilet per neighborhood. Road to superpowerdom. No?

17. vinais

vinais Second Year

Not really a BJP/NDA supporter but this kind of shake-up is exactly what the country needed. Now its time for Modi to put up or shut up. No room for excuses if they dont perform after such a clear mandate. Lets see what happens now.. Hoping for good things (fingers crossed)

18. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

/me just enjoys a nice cup of tea

19. Trooper

Trooper Order Member

So to people who're not Indians or who're Indians but simply want the salient points from the Election results...

The Indian Lok Sabha (Lower House) consists of 543 seats. You need a majority, i.e. 272 or more seats to form a government at the center.

While the counting is still going on, it can safely be said that the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party), the Hindu Nationalist Party, is going to be forming the next government.

And in all probability, Mr. Narendra Modi is going to be the next Prime Minister of India.

The BJP as a single party is set to get ~280 seats in the parliament. The party and its traditional alliance partners called the NDA (National Democratic Alliance) are set to get ~330 seats.

This is all the more impressive since we witnessed the highest ever voter turnout at about ~65-70%.

This is most surprising because No Single Party has got a full mandate in India since 1984. And even 1984 was the "sympathy wave" for Congress after the assassination of Mrs. Indira Gandhi.

Also important to note is that there were very few, if any regional parties (Local Assembly elections conducted state wise for 28 + 7 odd Union territories) in 1984. It has been assumed since then that India had firmly entered into "Only Coalition" politics.

For those who're even less politically savvy than me (a very rare thing), coalition politics means a lot more appeasing the political allies and very few firm decisions on any issue.
    So this is a first in about 3 decades.

Also interesting to note is how Mr. Narendra Modi made this election an almost a US presidential style election. The more amusing thing is that since other parties refused to announce their PM candidate, this became more of a referendum on whether India wants Mr. Modi as PM or not.

An incredible move, politically. Whether this bodes well for India in, other, actually important matters, still remains to be seen.

Another important thing to note is the high Anti-Congress sentiment in the country.
    The INC (Indian National Congress), the same party (not the same people, mind you) which got India its Independence is facing its worst defeat in the history of Independent India.

The Party by itself is about to get somewhere around ~50 seats. The INC with its traditional alliance partners called the UPA (United Progressive Alliance) are about to get ~75- 85 seats.
    This is frankly, not enough to even be the leader of Opposition.
    This puts them in the same league as the 3 strongest Regional Parties:

Ms. Jayalalitha/AIADMK: 35 +/- 3 seats just from Tamil Nadu.
    Ms. Mamatha Banarjee/TMC: 30 +/- 3 seats just from West Bengal.
    Mr. Naveen Patnaik/BJD: 20 +/- 1 seats just from Odisha.

I'll post what I expect from the next government once the counting ends.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  20. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

Sorry to break your dream but they aren't going to give you HP/Molly shit.

Anyway, I am not really sure what to expect. Everyone's having huge expectations but there's really so much basic shit to do. It would be really unfair to think that things would change overnight. But still I am pretty excited in this change of affairs.