1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Infamous: Second Son *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh boy, what a game!

Four different powers, all of them feeling awesome - and can we agree that everything about Neon is gorgeous while everything about Video was hax as shit? lol

I finished it on good, naturally. I have a serious digital conscious while gaming.

Honestly though? I'd love to play an anti-hero, but in most games (the past infamous' included), 'anti-hero' means massive, fucking unlikable dickhead.

I want Jack Sparrow, Dexter, Constantine, Lelouch etc, not some cartooney, unlikable villain.

To anyone who's finished it on 'infamous', what kind of antihero will I be getting? No need to spoil, just 'evil dickhead' or 'proper antihero' would be good.

For what I didn't like about the game? There isn't much...

I wasn't a fan of the bullet spongy-ness of the enemies - but subsequent powers made running and gunning stupid anyway.

Clearing the districts became a bit repetitive - it would have been good if every district wasn't essentially the same, just with a reskin. Perhaps more variety and extra tasks, but only a selection of 4 of, say, 25 side quests are needed? I dunno.

Neon and smoke are probably a little too similar. Concrete and Video provide different play styles (the former more tanky while the latter stealthy - which is awesome btw! - but Smoke and Neon are essentially the same power with slightly different traversal options. I ended up - as a Hero - essentially L1ing them and picking enemies off with carefully placed shots to restrain them. I wouldn't have been averse to Smoke being a melee power, with blinking around being more prevalent and a larger variety of melee attacks.

And the final thing - which is the same for all games with moral choices - I just don't like the good/evil nature of them. Let me make my own choices based on what I want to do and don't lock shit away from me based on that. Give the game several different endings and let me find out the consequences of my choices at the end.

That's all I can think to say on the matter, I literally just finished it and it hasn't had time to perolate, but I had to say something about this fantastic game!

Anyone else catch the references to the Sly and previous inFamous games? I found one, screenshotted it, lol...

2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

inFamous isn't really about anti-heroes, though. Just judging by the name alone, you can get the gist of what they're going for. Either you're a hero or you're a villain. I can't speak for how that's implemented through Second Son (having played as a Hero), but the choices I encountered all seemed like pretty standard, outright evil stuff. "Corrupt Fetch," "execute" weakened enemies and civilians.

The differences between Neon and Smoke are pretty subtle, but dramatic in their execution. Think about it for a second, Smoke has shit for traversal and lets you fire about as fast as you can hit R2, its R1 is a rocket, and its grenade staggers enemy for quick subdues. It's all about being up close and personal; you don't need to get away easily because that won't actually help you deal with enemies.

Neon, by contrast, is all about precision. Its grenade knocks enemies into the air so they sit still for your precision shots, its zoom slows down time, and it has very slow regular attacks; there's a reason Fetch was introduced as a sniper.

That said, I also basically stopped using Smoke once I got Neon and Video powered up; I understand what it offers, but Neon and Video just work a lot better. With Neon you can get away and snipe dudes down, with Video you can distract enemies while you subdue them quickly, and its R1 is fucking ridiculous. The lack of a grenade is unfortunate, but I also didn't use grenades much in the first place.

Plus, traversal was probably the most important thing to me in the end, and both Neon and Video have much better traversal options than Smoke does. It almost feels kinda sluggish to use Smoke after adapting to Neon and Video.

Concrete...I'm not sure how I feel about that one. It's very powerful, but I feel like it doesn't offer enough durability for what it is. I feel like a fully powered up Concrete should be, I dunno, 50% reduced damage or something, instead of 20%.

Still, inFamous: Second Son was fucking great. I really enjoyed my time with it, even if I wish there was maybe a bit more. I guess there's still that episodic content that Sucker Punch is releasing?

3. Gengar

High Score:
    Being infamous doesn't mean being an evil villain though. If we're going by the meaning of the word alone, it just means being famous for the wrong reasons. Ruthless, crazy, annoying etc. It's rather open to interpretation.

So far though, playing the evil side, things aren't so bad. The first major evil choice really doesn't change much but a few lines of dialogue and the second - Fetch - is kind of badass in a way...

Corrupting her isn't anything so heinous, you basically try and steer her hatred and murdering tendencies towards the anti-conduit rallies and the person leading them. Oh, and you both fuck after all that's said and done. :3

I just got into the Lantern district now and am powering through each district in Southern Seattle before finishing. Expert is kinda hard, and choosing to do Evil on expert thinking it would be easier was... probably a mistake. I haven't got video yet, but I honestly think both Smoke and Neon aren't as powerful when Evil as they are when you're Good.

The 'cough cloud' and to take advantage of the perks you're very much wanting to get up close and personal. Dashing through enemies while hitting circle while 1-shot them and holding down R2 for the blast attack vaporizes them, but, again, you need to be in close.

Evil makes these two powers even more similar than when you're Good. There's no more slowing down of time (making Neon much, much harder to use), but you can one shot people that are caught in the stasis bubble.

So as Evil, as Smoke and Neon, you're basically aiming for headshots to instant kill them while hitting them with your L1 first makes things much easier.

Smoke's R1 is the most powerful of the other powers, and easiest to use to kill heavy enemies, but I mostly used Neon, then stealth subdued everyone as Video when those powers became available.

If you're going for the platinum, I very much recommend doing Evil on easy/normal first and then doing your expert run as Good. Being able to heal yourself/ slowing down time/ subduing large groups of enemies easily makes this much more preferable.

I can't speak for Video yet though. Concrete is irrelevant. It's kind of cool to be a tank, but being speedy and maneuverable is definitely more fun in this game.

BTW, did you admire the stencil tagging as much as I did? lol, I thought it was pretty awesome, like watching Art Attack when I was a kid.

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The stencil tagging was really gimmicky in execution, but very fun nonetheless, just because of the things you wound up making.

Also: yeah, I can totally see Neon and Smoke being a bit more similar on the evil path, but then again, having looked at their respective power sets, that's because Neon is kinda pathetic when you're evil. Meanwhile, it looks like evil Video is extremely potent (if in a different way than heroic Video is.)

Concrete is pretty irrelevant in general, though. The game is over by the time you get it.

5. Gengar

High Score:
    Yeah, Neon feels super grimped as Evil, but from memory, Video summoned something like 3 devils and seemed a lot more deadly. It'd be cool if Delsin got devil wings instead of angel ones while traversing, I'll have to see.

Neon is still powerful though as Evil, but super hard to use. You one shot everything if you can land headshots, but don't count on it on expert. The only unique evil power Neon has is death field, which makes you one shot ppl in the stasis field wherever you hit them. That's it, other than that, it's naked Neon, lol.

I still use the shit out of it though, because of how purty it is, lol

Also, I find it funny how your karma dictates how people react to you. Specifically when you bump into them:

Hero: Totally my fault Delsin!

InFamous: Asshole!

6. Gengar

High Score:
    So, to update, it seems that while playing evil, your R2 standard attack are buffed, a lot. Across all 3 powers, but your utilities are weak.

Small smoke cloud and no vent healing, no time slow down and super nerfed stealth.

You'll never run out of power, but you'll die much more easily unless you use your super cleverly.

Final advice for trophy hunters: save your hero run for expert. Evil will be much more fun on easy/ Normal

7. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Isn't it a shitload easier to get executions off than subdues, though? I watched the GiantBomb quick look of the game (which was basically early on evil expert) and Jeff was getting evil karma like crazy. It seems like the execution heal would proc all the fucking time if you play right.

Also, going stealth as evil Video summons demons, how is that skill?

8. Gengar

High Score:
    They're distractions that are basically eye candy on expert. Ignore them, they do nothing.

I have watched that QL, because i started playing the second it came out.

The way evil supers work though seems easy, but it's not easier than good. You can't get stacks by killing irrelevant civs, so it's those side objectives, or dups.

It's incredibly hard to get seven stacks on expert when they fall off so quickly. Especially with helicopters firing missiles at you and just a few seconds of regular machine gun bursts is enough to do you in.

It's not impossible, just really, really hard.

Compare that to good video that lets you subdue with one button while stealthed, and remain stealthed for a good long while? You can build your super in no time at all.

9. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I wasn't even thinking about the karma bomb. I was instead thinking about the execution heal that you can get with level 2( ?) Karma.

10. Gengar

High Score:
    There are no evil heals (expect for absorbing a source of power, but that's neutral).

Executing ppl gives you evergy, not health.

Subdue ppl as good gives full health restore.

Execute ppl as evil gives all evergy back (but no heavy ammo ffs).

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

...Oh. Oh dear, that would be a problem, yes.

12. Gengar

High Score:
    The strat is basically kill, kill, kill while dancing around and gtfo when shit gets scary. A lot of sniping from distance and a lot of running around and looking for drain sources.

13. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I just ran through the Paper Trail side mission. That was pretty neat, but it took a few minutes for me to figure out what they wanted me to do with the website stuff (because I'm an idiot.)

So...inFamous then. :D

14. Gengar

High Score:
    Yeah, pretty much. One can say that the 'good' powers in this game are changed from the norm for the better.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    Just platinum'd. I actually really liked playing evil, except for, literally, the very last second.

I had one annoyance, a pretty big one, and i understand why ppl bitch about the story, but it's spoilery, so yeah...

16. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

OK so I just finished it on good, and the powers and the characters/dialogue are definitely the best things about the game. Also that final boss fight. So fun!

Side quests are ridiculously repetitive though.

17. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Thankfully the side quests are a lot less tedious than they were in previous games. In a lot of cases you can get them down in less than a minute if you're observant.

It's nice.

18. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Did the evil side as well. Fuck that ending.

19. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Photo mode is fucking awesome:
    [imgur]vZXNRgL[/imgur]

20. Gengar

High Score:
    I'll probably mess around with it if they bring out story dlc.