1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Intel Vs AMD In A New Way

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Murton, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOmMAasqto

For y'all who haven't seen it before.

If you find that funny like I did, you're a nerd/geek. >_>

But it does bring about many interesting thoughts. I wonder if anyone has tried it with a Core 2 Duo or similar decent CPU now days.

Now: AMD Vs INTEL, it's been done before, but I am interested at which fans we have.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Intel : 1
    AMD : 0

Next.. power surge test.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I used to be an AMD fan, but Intel got one over AMD with their dual-core tech.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

See that video like.. ages ago. Still epic. o_o

Knew a guy who said he overclocked a 486 high enough to run Quake or Doom or one of those two games. Apparently it ran full speed for 30 seconds before bursting into flames.

That'd been fun to watch. o_O

6. Murton

I have a friend who used to work at the local computer shop who has now since moved onto a bigger and better job. Whilst working there he got his hands onto a early Celleron and over clocked it a complete GHz which allowed it to run Windows XP.

I used to be a full on AMD fan, completely despising the Pentium 4's and loving the good ol' Athlons. That is, until the Core 2 Duo came out which has shifted my position more towards sitting on the fence. Now days I look at the performance Vs Value for money of similarly priced CPU's and see which one is better.

7. Midknight

Core 2s will for awhile be heads over AMDs, thanks to AMD aquiring ATI and trying to work on developing all in one chip/mobo/graphics solutions.

8. Murton

Ew.

MurToN does not like the implications of that statement.

It would be good for Business workstations, which would in turn be good for installing more workstations in businesses like I shall be doing in around 3 hours time.

But it would draw attention away from the performance market and push integrated graphics more which suck balls for anything other than simple graphical programs and low level games.

9. Midknight

To be fair to them though, they made some statement when they were asked about trying to develop a cpu/gpu all in one chip, and they said if they would, it'd be a far cry from crippled shared memory gpu's on laptops and cheap mobos.

I think if there was a way, they could do it, but I'd hate to see the size of the freaking chip, they'd almost HAVE to have their own motherboards built with GDDR3+ built in.

10. Murton

I really don't think size would be an issue. Sure it might be bigger than a standard chip, but the amount of transistors on CPU's is around 228 million or something now days and compared to a GPU, is kinda massive.

I wouldn't think over a 100% size increase would happen, technology just keeps getting smaller, although I'm interested at the point at which we reach silicons limit of transistors Vs space which compels them to invest into a different build material to advance.

It may be a far cry from shared memory on board Video Cards, but I'd bet they would still be a massive gap between having an actual decent video card.

11. Midknight

I dunno, figure the GPU is limited in the speed it can get things from the CPU to process, cutting out the PCI-E lanes and making it onboard would be sweet. Sell a mobo with that, some sick ass build in GDDR3/4 so you cut out the cost of making it into sticks of memory with cooling issues...

Hell slap the entire system like that, put active cooling on it, like the Asus 680i, and see what you get.

Thats part of the reason AMD was on top for awhile, their memory controllers are on the CPU die, whereas Intel has them offchip, there was always bad bottlenecking for Intel.

Granted though, nothing we have right this year is maxing out a 16x PCI-E lane, but figure 5 years down the road, who knows, folks thought we'd never max out AGP.

12. jts360

jts360 Second Year

Ah well it was more Amd noticed Ati's shortcomings (mainly management) and took over. Right now they and other problem areas are being fixed.

I think we can expect great things to come from the company.

13. Midknight

Ati's problem has always been 2 things, management, and drivers.. well 3, tech support.

Their drivers are so damned horrible that even when they put out superior by far equipment, like they did a few years back, the drivers cripple the shit out of it.

14. Murton

Don't get me started with their horrible drivers. I currently have a Radeon 9550R gaming edition, although incredibly old now days and can't play the latest latest games, the drivers for it suck balls. The GPU resets when under load unless I run a desk fan into the side of my case. When it does reset, games will flicker black, having me alt tab out of it and back to resume playing. Then a dialogue box pops up over the game again causing me to alt tab out, which takes eons.

When I finally upgrade, I'm thinking of making the swap over to Intel and nVidia. Thinking about a Core 2 Duo E6750 and a 8800GTX. Just gotta research more into a suitable motherboard and some decent RAM. But first I think I'll grab a new Hard Drive and install fresh upon a new partition on it, use this one for storage and the other partitions as well.