1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Invisible Circus By sceneii - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Bentgame, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Bentgame

Bentgame First Year

Title: Invisible Circus
    Author: sceneii
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama
    Library Category: The Alternates
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Ron knows what he's fighting for, even if no one else does.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2056512/1/Invisible-Circus

This story is non-compliant with DH canon, but still set after Voldemort's defeat. Most notably, the twins are alive. The basic premise is Ron going undercover to try to prevent another wizarding war. It's well written and the author is good at creating a certain atmosphere.

The characterization feels right for a grown-up version of the canon characters. Draco especially feels right here. He's still fairly slimy, but he's a little smarter about it. The interactions between him and Ron are some of the best parts of the story.

Worth reading.
    4/5

2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bumped to gain attention.

I am astonished that a HP fic didn't get any reviews and just three votes. I'll wait another seven days and move it then.

3. Caligula

Caligula First Year

I like it. Some parts of the story have obviously been written before DH such as Fudge being Minister. However the story could easily be DH compliant with some minor tweaks. In spite of the lack of Harry-centric, the story raises the banner for Ron by tapping into the Ron-is-a-traitor cliche. Although there was some angst, which was expected, and some grammatical errors, the story has a whole felt fresh. Which is saying a lot in the Potter fandom.

4.5/5

4. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Well, I read the story, and I liked it. A great way to waste an hour and a half or so. It isn't a truly spectacular story, but it's a well written, well paced, and engaging... something. It's actually kind of hard for me to place the genre here; it's seems part political intrigue, part crime drama. Whatever it is, though, I enjoyed it, and would recommend. Solid 4/5.

5. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's because of the main characters. Few fan-writers/readers like Ron, and Draco even less (excepting fangirls, who don't count). It's certainly well written, but it's going to have trouble drawing readers.

3.5/5 enjoyment level, but 4/5 based on the quality of the writing. It gets a 4/5 vote for me.

6. D.H.

D.H. Seventh Year DLP Supporter

It's rare to find a well written fic featuring Ron, so it was a nice breath of fresh air. The writing is very engaging and it's fun to watch Ron interact with people who are not Harry and Hermione. Malfoy was also realistically done.

I would have liked to see more back-story, about what happened in the two years between 7th year and the beginning of the fic. Also I think the author could have done more with plot point of the two dead auror's.

Overall 4/5

7. KGB

KGB Headmaster

OK so I've given this sever tries now and still can't get through it.

The basic premise is interesting. Having Ron being the one going undercover just makes sense. But beyond that it's endless internal monologing retreading the same "UH I'm a spy and I feel sad about that" crap for four chapters.

In the end there is just no hook. At least for someone who doesn't give two shits about Ron. Perhaps revealing the whole spy angle right of the top was a mistake. Than again I doubt I would have made past the first chapter on a traitor!Ron fic.

But the writing isn't bad and if you don't mind the monologues this might be worth a read.

8. Stan

Stan Order Member

I always felt that if there is one thing this fandom sorely lacks, it is a good quality non-shippy Ron centric story. As such, coming across this story while I was randomly browsing through the library was a very pleasant surprise.

The story's premise is Ron "betraying" Harry and becoming a spy against the anti-muggle contingent. Voldemort is dead, but dissatisfaction against the ministry and its muggle appeasing policies prevails among certain sections of the masses, and Nott is trying to incite a rebellion against the ministry. The situation is getting more and more tense, and Ron is sent undercover to try to find out more about his plans.

It is quite well written and the atmosphere the author creates is excellent. Ron's struggles as a spy and perceived traitor are central to the story, and the author does it well. The story never falls into the trap of portraying spying to be glamorous and awesome like so many others do. The conflict in the story is believable, and the mind games with Nott towards the end are pretty great.

On the down side, the ending lacked a certain punch or twist that could make it make the story great. The author did an excellent job of ramping-up the tension towards the end, and then.... it just ends? Eh. The story lacks a punchline and that makes the ending feel rushed and incomplete somehow.

(Or maybe I'm just disappointed that Ron didn't end up joining the anti-ministry crowd? I kinda wanted see him to fit into the Death Eater Ron cliche, and several of anti-ministry people were portrayed as sympathetic characters.)

Ron takes a tad too long to get into his own. The angst and doubt in the middle of the story is necessary, but it still feels that it could have been cut down a bit.

Chapter 4 has formatting problems, and it quite annoying. Fortunately it's a pretty short chapter.

Overall, it isn't the Ron centric I've been hoping for quite some time now, but it's a fun and past paced read, and with a pretty likable Ron.

4/5.

9. adamofalba

adamofalba Squib

High Score:
    It's an interesting idea and feels quite unique. I'll definitely have to check it out some more.