1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

IPv6 Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

For those who know what IPv6 is and currently use it, either natively through an ISP or through a tunnel, DLP and PC now support IPv6 addresses. They can be accessed as follows:

http://ipv6.darklordpotter.net for DLP IPv6
    http://ipv6.patronuscharm.net for PC IPv6.

While I could have simply added IPv6 to the current domains, this can interfere with poorly configured IPv4 networks, so I've kept them separated by different subdomains. IRC will soon have IPv6 as well.

Before replies of "IPv6? IPv4? What?", IPv4 is what's commonly used now, such as DLP's IPv4 address 75.126.162.155. IPv4 is a 32-bit value (shown as a dotted quad), while IPv6 is a 128-bit value in the format of (ex: 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334). Zeros can be compressed, such as in the case of DLP's IPv6 address, 2607:f0d0:1002:1d::4.

IPv6 addresses are far more abundant than IPv4. The reason for IPv6 is the rapid lack of IPv4 addresses on the horizon, we're slated to run out of them some time in the next 1.5-2.5 years, as there are at max only ~4.3 billion IPv4 addresses, many of which are "reserved". There are astronomical amounts of IPv6 addresses, 2^128 vs. 2^32 addresses.

To put it into perspective, if you covered the entire land surface of the Earth with average fine beach sand 1 meter deep, each grain of sand would have 2.825*10^17 IPv6 addresses available to it.

IPv6 has better routing, more streamlined, better packet security, and other such fun things. However the exhaustion of IPv4 addresses is the driving motivation for switching, and will begin within the next few years.

If you have any questions or want some assistance configuring IPv6 tunnels, I'm usually in IRC.