1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Iron Man 3 Review - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Starwind, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Just went to see it - was awesome.

The way they played out Manderin/Trevor was pretty cool though the reveal was a bit early in the film, but I suppose they had to get it all in.

I liked how the whole thing came about from something Tony did when he was hungover twenty years ago, shows how far he is ahead of everyone else.

Suspected Mia would be a villian the second she looked interested in Killians propsal tbh + comic references.

Liked the operation at the end to get rid of the shrapnal as thats something he said was his "darkness" to Bruce basically in Avengers.

Kid and the stalker Gary were awesome.

Pepper kicked some ass at the end. Haha.

Rhodey was amazing, I liked how exasperated he was geting by the coordinates being wrong.

When Killian said the "hammer guy fell from the sky" was half expecting a snarky reponse though.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

Saw it tonight. Didn't like the ending and Potts kicking ass, the rest was okay. Saw it in 3 D witch kind sucked. Was there any scene after the credits though? `Cause they didnt show it in my cinema.

The ending was kinda lame, I was expecting something more... I don't know. He could have at least talk to the kid, just pimping out his garage was lame. The best scenes were the Tony-kid interactions and it left things kinda in the air, I mean they have a connection man!.

Robert Downey Jr. was awesome. Made the whole movie.

Cant help but wonder what would have been if they gave the director seat of this one to Whedon? The movie was good, but with Josh I think the movie would have been a ten.

3. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

The after credits scene was the reveal that the whole thing was Tony talk to Bruce about his problems, with the joke being that Bruce fell asleep five minutes in.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tony giving a heart-to-heart is what would have been lame. He barely does it with pepper.
    He showed he cared his own way.

And ROFL, 'it's been six years, stop being a pussy'

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Saw it last night. Pretty damn awesome. Although a few things were rushed, and a few things that I would have liked to see more of were mostly skipped, overall it was well worth its money.
    Robert being awesome as hell. This is the movie that most gives me the correct 'Tony Stark' vibes, if you know what I mean.
    Plently of epic, plenty of funny, plenty of seriousness where it was due. Some things irked me, but they are easily overlooked.

6. h2o

h2o Professor

I thought it was pretty crap tbh. Pacing all wonky, the big reveal about the Mandarin sucked ass.

The almost saving grace was the kid and Guy Pearce's performance, the dude can pull off a villain pretty well. And well, ofc RDJ was awesome.

Still, as a movie I gave it 5/10.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Assuming I felt that Iron Man 2 completely sucked ass, but Iron Man (original) was awesome, do you think it likely that I'll love or hate this one? Or somewhere in the middle? Because I wasn't intending to go see it but Tony Stark *is* a lot of fun.

8. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Go see it. I thought it was greatly enjoyable and I've also rather liked the previous two, although this is my favourite so far. It's worth watching purely for the set up it will give for Avengers II and picking out what bits will relate to the other Marvel movies.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A resounding "meh" from me.

Pluses: some nice action, some good jokes. The stuff with the kid was good.

Downsides:

- Implausible premise. I just couldn't buy that you could mess around with DNA enough to make a person able to smash apart an Iron Man suit. All the AIM people were overpowered, which then led to:

- Ridiculous suit inflation. In Iron Man 1, that single suit was amazing, enough to change the world. "Privatise world peace". In 3, I don't think he was in any given suit for longer than 10 seconds. Those things are falling apart all over the place now. Accordingly, there were a fuckton of them. That scene when they all arrived at the end was just absurd. And none of them were using any of the weapons they've been shown to have in previous films: the lasers, the mini homing rockets, etc. For an enemy whose main advantage is in close quarters fighting, those would have been rather useful.

- Obvious twist. I think it was obvious from the first time we met Killian (even for non-comic book readers like me) that The Mandarin was going to be an actor and that it was really Killian.

- Stupid ending. He blew up all the suits? As fireworks? Really? That's retarded.

6.5/10 from me. It's best if you think of it as a comedy movie and therefore don't think too hard about the plot.

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wasn't a fan of the way he bounced from suit to suit either, but to be fair, it was covered in universe--the Mk. 42 was a prototype mainly for its ability to go to him, not a fully functioning Iron Man like the suits he wore in Iron Man 1, 2, and The Avengers. At least, that's the impression I walked away with. You might argue that hand waving it away as a prototype is a bit cheap and you might be right, but still. Reasons were given.

11. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Not having read the comics, the word "extremis" meant nothing to me. As soon as I heard 'Advanced Idea Mechanics' though.... Serious "Wand and Shield" flashbacks right there. At that point I knew shit was about to go down.

12. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I think they took that from the comic, there's some canon background in that scene.

However, pretty much what Taure said. It remind me of Terminator a lot. Even the battle sounds were alike.
    Don't know why they saw crucial to operate the arc reactor from Tony, don't know and don't care. That was stupid.

The only thing that made it worth was RDJ, as always.

The first one is still the best.

13. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

My only hope is we see some turmoil and roll over from this into Avengers 2 that works really well. Otherwise, as others have said, I'll have to give it a subpar showing.

14. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a little hard for me to bitch about the various suits since they took that straight out of the comics. Stark has a separate suit for just about every possible purpose and opponent. They cut waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down on the number of suits he has and uses for the movies.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man's_armor

Also the scene with all of them showing up was taken straight out of the comics as well.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  15. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I liked the movie. Finally we have a story that doesn´t revolve around world ending threats, a villain who doesn´t want to end the world and a hero who isn´t perfect.
    The Action scenes were nice and I loved the various references made at the different Marvel movies - it makes me hope for the new star wars films. The kid was great and RDJ carried the films as always.

The Extremis was interesting in the beginning but got way too overpowered toward the end, even regeneration and a superior body shouldn´t you enable to survive explosions and crack armor suits or breath fire. I for one always had to stop asking myself where all the energy and material for that shit was coming from.

But hey it is an Action movie and in the end I was entertained and don´t regret watching it.

16. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I think the reason the Mark42 was a prototype is so they can show him in Avengers 2 in a couple of years with an awesome suit that does all the cool stuff that everyone was expecting.

Ched -It's a bit more in depth than IM2 and a bit more comedy in it, the action is good aswell.

17. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I absolutely adored the Extremis arc in the comics. I mean, yeah, Warren Ellis did it, so I'm about as biased as it's possible to be. But still.

So, I had managed to avoid every bit of news and hype so I had no idea what I was walking into, and I was actually thinking myself 'wait, are they doing Extremis?' and then 'oh god, they are doing Extremis'. I was mightily miffed that they replaced the batshit domestic militia group with generic Arabic terrorist guy, so the reveal on that front was a big relief.

It does annoy me that Extremis was completely ditched at the end of the story, with Tony never getting it and Pepper getting it handwaved away even though she apparently was able to control it. God forbid she stop being a helpless damsel in distress, I guess, because then it'd be trickier to stuff her into a fridge every time Tony needs to be tormented. Very disappointing.

18. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I wouldn´t say it was ditched just that they didn´t show us all the consequences. For example the Extremis was faulty so Pepper getting fixed could easily mean that he only fixed the the Extremis in her to stop her from exploding. I think the end-scene in the hospital hints at that with all that technological advancement talk.

19. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I kept waiting for a sting at the end where Tony's eyes would flash red or something. When the camera zoomed right in on his face I was so sure it was going to happen.

Guess we'll find out for sure in Avengers 2. Or maybe Hulk... 2? Hulk rebooted? Considering that the post-credits scene revealed that the voiceover was Tony telling the story to Banner.

20. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

To be fair, the stinger was more of a joke (and a pretty funny one). Doesn't mean the story of Hulk 2 will be connected. Like the shawarma thing, I doubt we'll see that followed up on either beyond a comment or two.